Stuck gearbox drain plug

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayoss

Reaction score
Hi guys, was performing 120,000km service the other day when we ran into a problem with removing the drain plug from the gear box. We simply couldn't crack it. W had used a half inch drive to remove all drain and filler plugs for the transfer and diffs but it seems just that little bit to loose. is there a specific tool required?
As for the gearbox plug there is a orange sealant squeezed out of the thread, not sure if this has contributed to the problem. The plug had already had some wear and im fearful of really f@$ing it up, any ideas guys. Why do the simplest things have to be so hard.

Its probably some form of locktite.

Get a big breaker bar and brute force, firstly a good shock or heat it up with a blowtorch.

Dave.

kayoss - I had the same issue at my 120k service. The mechanic was fearful of snapping the plug or wrecking the thread so he hand pumped the fluid from the top of the box and then hand pumped the new fluid in.

My mechanic who is normally awesome( must have been the apprentice) decided brute force was the answer and stripped it... Only fixed it last week by welding a bar to the plug so it could be undone. Apparently it's a common thing with navs so don't feel bad but proceed with caution.

Thanks guys. Good to know that I'm not completely useless. It's a real pain in the arse though. Nissan probly glue these bloody things in to ensure they get there $1000 dollar big service fee! I will persist with great care

Its standard practice that a thread sealer/lock is applied to most threads and in the case of the G/box, as above its a sealer and a lock for obvious reasons.
Nissan aren't the only manufacturer to do it so don't feel hard done by.

The important trick to those plugs is the use of an exact fitting tool and an impact wrench.
Once out , one can replace them with a plug that has a male hex or square.

the one im having an issue with is a square drive. Trouble is tryign to fin d the exact right tool. Its a fraction bigger than 1/2 inch but a bees dick under 14mm

I just cut a small piece of sheet metal twice the width of the square drive, put a 90 degree fold in it and use it with the square drive as a packing. Works a treat.

Alan

I had to get the extension onto my front diff when I changed that oil - it was done up ridiculously tight. Wouldn't be suprised if the gearbox is the same although it wasn't too bad on mine.

I just cut a small piece of sheet metal twice the width of the square drive, put a 90 degree fold in it and use it with the square drive as a packing. Works a treat.

Alan

i done this as well for the plugs with play in them but i doubled some 1mm copper shim off a roll i had. I couldn`t believe how tight the plugs were.

Back