Vibration Auto trans D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwi

Reaction score
Hey Guy's I have just traded my 07 d40 stx man for new stx auto which is great but I have a slight shudder come through when it is changing down gears between 50klm & 40klm is this common? it's almost like it is changing down to quick and again at about 80klm going up like it's going into top gear to soon any one struck this problem? thanks

I've not had the vibration when it's changing down. It won't be the problem the 2009 autos had with a bodgey TCC on the torque converter - that caused vibration at around 80-90km/h and was caused by a TCC solenoid not engaging properly.

The TCC solenoid might be what is getting your attention at about 80km/h too, although it is probably working fine. The Nissan auto box does things a little differently (others might do it too now, but traditionally autos don't do things like this). Let me explain.

The auto gearbox gets input from the engine, and through the torque converter it will rotate the input shaft of the gearbox a certain percentage of the engine rotations. That's the primary reason why auto model cars were not as fuel efficient as manuals. In a manual, 100 engine revolutions equated to 100 gearbox input revs. In the auto, 100 revs of the engine equated to 60, or 70, or 80 - it depended on the oil, the tolerances in the torque converter etc etc.

Nissan are now using a locking mechanism - the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch). This fully engages the engine to the gearbox so that 100 engine revs translates 100% into the gearbox. This only happens under certain conditions - about 75km/h or more, gear selector in "D", overdrive is switched ON and throttle at less than 50%.

To see that it's working - drive along at 50km/h and gently depress and release the throttle. The engine revs should change through a range of about 1,000rpm.

Now repeat this at 80km/h on a level road. As you vary the accelerator pressure, the engine revs hardly change at all - that is the locked torque converter.

It might seem like an early change, but maybe you're being light on the foot. That's not always a bad thing!

thanx Tony for help I will try that today sounds like it might be TCC because it is worse going down between 50klm & 40klm like TC is releasing at maybe to high of rev range?
Cheers Geoff

The clutch shouldn't engage below 70km/h anyway, so if yours is, it's faulty. It should also not be engaged out of 5th ('D' selected, O/D in the 'on' position and gearbox using top gear).

Nissan replace the torque converter when this happens. Checking the TCC operation without a Consult II device is really not very easy, because you can't lie under your vehicle with a multimeter while you're driving at 80km/h. If you've any warranty on it, it might be a good idea to get it seen to now.

Hey Tony thanx again, I have been into Nissan as i have only just bought this one new 6wks ago done 2800klm all they have is excuses haha they have to put problem to Nissan to see if they have a remedy for it or accept that there is a problem, can't miss it I have already had one of there mechanics and service manager drive it and they both noticed it without me pointing it out goes in next week again so they can check and get reading off trans etc. i have no overdrive in mine just 5 speed with sequential shift as well. Cheers Geoff

Hey Tony
Just to let you know my dealer put a report through to Nissan Tech & they have come back after about 4 days & said put a new auto trans in so service manager has just put a order in for one from Japan should take about 2 wks, so hopefully this one is ok!!! there must be a problem they know about to replace straight away Cheers Geoff :)

G'Day Kiwi,

I purchased a new 2011 D40 ST-X a few weeks ago and have noticed the same transmission vibration. In particular, downshifting from 4th to 3rd and 2nd to 1st. I took it to my Nissan dealer for its first 1000k service and raised the issue with them. The service manager agreed that there is a problem and has logged the issue with Nissan Australia.

I am now waiting for a reply. How did you go with your Transmission change and does it drive a lot better.

As you could appreciate I am a little dissapointed with with vibe on such a bloody nice new car.

If you could let me know how things turned out that would be great.

Cheers,
Mick

Hey Mick
Well I had the new trans fitted no difference still download shutter 4th-3rd-2nd bloody pain in the arse and also have a vibration at 108klm on speedo which is a 100klm as speedos are out by 8klm and getting worse it comes through steering wheel and through centre console and seats like a chassis vibration I have now done just on 12000klm. My dealer is on my side with this and Nissan have agreed there is a problem and have their techs working on it so they say, my dealer thinks it is also a engine mounting problem? Nissan have tried to say it is just part of how they drive but thats crap my 07 STX Manual drove beautiful compared to this one, I have now also written to Nissan as well in the last week. :devil: Where are you based Mick? give me a call if you like 0418822661 cheers Geoff

FRIGK, how incredible to diagnose the auto as the fault, replace it only to find noooop. Oh my g@d, is there any hope. Glad to hear they are taking it seriously for your sake. But!!!!!

Back