Mud maps for iPhone

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digbyj

Reaction score
Hey tech geeks.
Anyone out there using the mud maps app for iPhone?
I've downloaded the app but no maps yet as I'm finding their website a bit slow and am hoping their maps are faster.
I'll buy one at some stage and post how it goes but I can't work out which one to buy yet, confusing website!
Cheers

Iphone GPS is not much chop from what I have seen of my own. 1hz and gets disorientated the further from city centres you go. Perhaps the 4.0 is different.
Also Apple have made it so that you cannot bluetooth to a GPS receiver with greater Hz and accuracy.

Yeah fair call Aido, I've got the 4.0. The phone signal for starters is way better, get 3G opts everywhere. From what I've seen with google maps the gps is pretty good and doesn't get lost, I've got another app which is a speedo and that show it's pickin up 3 satellites most of the time which should give pretty good triangulation. Guess I'll just have to buy one and we'll see...

for what its worth, even if slightly off topic, I purchased the navman MY65t this week. it was on sale down to $220. It came with maps obviously, and for another $20 on their website I bought the hema 4wd maps too. I have yet to install the hema info, but the pre-installed street maps showed all the tracks we did today up at rubicon, including track names and was very accurate.

Dedicated GPS will outdo the Iphone no doubt but it is still worth investigating the APPS to asses them.

Kind of on topic but I use Racechrono ( RaceChrono - The GPS Lap Timer )loaded onto an old Nokia Navigator with a 5hz bluetooth receiver for the track bike and it is as accurate and has better features than many $800 dedicated GPS lap timers. Best thing its free to download, got the phone for $0 off a mate and paid $70 for the GPS receiver.
The Iphone App that is supposed to do the same however is pox because of the 1Hz sample rate of the inbuilt receiver and the dodgey accelerometers built into the Iphone.
I have a 4x4 App on my Iphone but it only shows the route taken and co-ordinates. The mapping is poor and under tree cover it gets lost.

Just another off topic with iPhone4 i found that you can plug he headphone jack into your MP3 jack then push 'aux button and use it as a hands free through your stereo speakers. Nissan want 500 bucks for hands free and this does the job nicely not perfect but good enough for me.

Sorry Digby but your thread has been hijacked....now its an Iphone thread.

hijack4.gif

How well does the in car work? Is there much background noise on the other end? It would seem to me you would have to shout at your drivers side speaker to be heard over the ambient noise.....

Since the thread is being hijacked.

Just another off topic with iPhone4 i found that you can plug he headphone jack into your MP3 jack then push 'aux button and use it as a hands free through your stereo speakers. Nissan want 500 bucks for hands free and this does the job nicely not perfect but good enough for me.

This can be done with any phone that allows hands free operation and has the ability to plug into a 3.5mm stereo jack. Some phones you may not find the appropriate cables for but all the phone does is send a signal and the head unit receives, it neither care what the signal is, (mp3, voice, etc), your phone mic still pics up the voice and transmits it and all the cable is doing is acting like an extended speaker wire so it's not limited to iPhones.

Um... hello... Mud map thread?... hello...
Hey heata that sounds pretty good, so it would've had the tracks from say Toolangi you would think? Good price.
How do u find reading a small screen , that's what I like about paper maps, you can see wots around you!
Yeah and Krafty with the aux jack you still have to talk into the phone which I guess I'd hands free, if you hold the phone with your feet.
I had never thought of that though beergutz, in saying that my stereo has no 3.5 jack, it's a d22 so it has volume and off.
Remember that that jack also won't charge the phone though!
Mud maps anyone??

If you want to hold your phone with your feet feel free but realistically sitting any decent phone capable of hands free operation in the center console is more than enough to use for conversations without having to hold it, even the tractor noise of a D22 wont stop a good phone working like that. But the topic was on iPhones and I did say decent phone so I understand your apprehensions.

Back on the mud maps... I just tried to register my details after downloading the app and apparently my email address as been used before... Anyone had this problem or has it just been hijacked like this thread?

I'd suggest it's a glitch in their system, unless you're using something very generic from a hotmail account (or the like) which can be easily typo'd the chances of you're email being used over the millions of other easy to scam emails just to sign up for an iPhone app is pretty slim, not impossible but slim. Just register another free account with hotmail or someone and you should be able to get around it if you desperately want the app.

Um... hello... Mud map thread?... hello...
Hey heata that sounds pretty good, so it would've had the tracks from say Toolangi you would think? Good price.
How do u find reading a small screen , that's what I like about paper maps, you can see wots around you!
Yeah and Krafty with the aux jack you still have to talk into the phone which I guess I'd hands free, if you hold the phone with your feet.
I had never thought of that though beergutz, in saying that my stereo has no 3.5 jack, it's a d22 so it has volume and off.
Remember that that jack also won't charge the phone though!
Mud maps anyone??

It seems to have a good range of tracks on it. I agree though that any sort of electronic mapping needs to be complimented by paper maps, much better for trip planning etc. I tried a few different iphone mapping aps and android ap maps on my htc and my wifes iphone, and just couoldn't get them to work. So gave up and went this way.

It seems to have a good range of tracks on it. I agree though that any sort of electronic mapping needs to be complimented by paper maps, much better for trip planning etc. I tried a few different iphone mapping aps and android ap maps on my htc and my wifes iphone, and just couoldn't get them to work. So gave up and went this way.

Yeah fair call heata, computer to tell you where you aware, paper to show you everything else.

Alphabet? U have any luck yet? I got an account just couldn't work out which map I needed as they were just numbers. My internets pretty slow so may just wait til we get adsl so I can preview maps quicker.

Hi Guys - I downloaded the Mud Maps app and then paid something like $3 for the Topo 4x4 map that covered the entire Vic High Country area that we had planned to cover over a 3 night trip. I agree - depending on what computer you use and what internet browser - the website (to obtain the map) is really slow. On Windows 7 and IE8 browser it works pretty well.
The Iphone4 GPS I have found to be pretty strong - I have never lost a 'lock' out in the bush. The tracking on the map was really useful - I used it to compliment a paper map, and came in handy a few times when the paper map just didn't seem to match what was on the ground. The app could atleast tell me where I was on the map.
It did exactly what it was supposed to - but doesn't really have many features - no 'point to point' mapping for example. I think you can leave a biscuit trail - so that's a good safety plus I guess.
I recommend it - and when the map plates are only a few $ each, its worth having for a back up - The app is free.
I have the iphone4 in a dock on the dash - so I can have it landscape or portrait BUT the app doesn't go landscape (bit crappy) BUT I read they are planning on fixing this in a new release - so fingers crossed.
So all in - thumbs up from me.

I love this website, great feedback! I'll have to get on a faster Internet connection, sounds like might be worth a crack, as you say with a map.
Mate, what dirt of cradlecfo you have? Any good?
Cheers

I sort of gave up on the mud maps and have discovered memory maps on the iPhone... Kinda the same thing but I am able to layer maps on top of each other, scan my own maps in and also use google earth to discover new tracks that aren't marked.

Big thumbs up for Memory Maps.
Used it on the weekend properly for the first time and very impressed.
Its free..... to a certain degree.
The base maps are free but additional detailed topographic Vicmaps and the like can be purchased from their map store.
Tracks your path, shows elevation and heading, average speed, time spent actually moving, amount of time Scotty spends with his bonnet up, set waypoints and can be used like a regular in car gps to search streets and suburbs etc. Its accurate to 5m.

One point to mention though is that it burns up the battery pretty quick and needs to be on charge whilst in use.

Memory-Map Aus/NZ | Topo Maps | Marine Charts | GPS Software

Perhaps needs a thread of its own.........

Latest posts

Back