New cd deck is blowing th tail light fuse

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navara09

Reaction score
I installed my new deck yesterday and we wired it all up and tested it so tht everything was earthed working. But today i noticed i had blown a tail light fuse wic disabled my dash lights. So i replaced it and it blew again. I cant think wot is wrong with it. Any ideas? I have chekced the earth again and it is fine

Same happened to me,I eventually fixed it though, I think its something to do with the tail lights being earthed through the stereo, I think I found the answer in some post on this site, hopefully someone else can explain it properly for you or post a link to where ever that post was. Good luck

It sounds like you earthed the deck to the illumination wire. You need to check your earth wire again, and switch on your parkers to see if it switches from earth (-) to positive 12v. That is usually the wire that dims the stereo display at night so it's not too bright. Pretty easy fix.

Not sure on the colour, I used a ring terminal to the dash frame. Makes a better connection for modern high power decks.

There is a earth in the factory harness.

There is a thread on here somewhere where I took a photo of the wiring colours.

Ill see if I can find it.

Dave.

There's no danger in screwing the earth to the metal part of the dash, the deck internally earths to the deck's chassis so by screwing the mounting brackets on and screwing it into the dash you are effectively earthing it without using the earth wire (even just plugging the aerial in it will earth it). This is why you were blowing fuses. If the deck chassis earth wasn't creating a dead short the unit would have simply switched off. Either way you go you'll get the same result. Good luck.

Not sure if I've ever mentioned it, but I was a car audio & security fitter for 9 years.

ok so i just have to put the deck earth wire to the metal bar behind the stereo or on the the stereo frame and it should solve the problem then? just gota make sure so i dnt stuff anything up. and with the earth wire from the harness on the car wt do i do with that or do i leave that connected?

Any wires that don't get connected, put tape over them or they could short out. if you don't know what they are that's the safest bet. never leave wires bare and floating around.

i screwed mine to the bracket to the left hand side of the deck and can assure you it is fine and earths well.

ok and the wires that arent been used in the vehicls harness do i just leave them or do i cut them and tapew them up? i also have a deck that is a dvd screen and i have attached the handbrake cable to earth so that i can bypass the handbrake, but puttin the handbrake wire with the earth to the bracket it will still bypass it wont?

ok and the wires that arent been used in the vehicls harness do i just leave them or do i cut them and tapew them up?

Whatever you choose. if they aren't going anywhere they are not doing anything and the plug is just bulk. i'd probably trim the plug and tape the ends seperatly to save space.

i also have a deck that is a dvd screen and i have attached the handbrake cable to earth so that i can bypass the handbrake, but puttin the handbrake wire with the earth to the bracket it will still bypass it wont?

yeah it will. mine operates like this.

Latest posts

Back