Transmission cooler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jap55s

Reaction score
Hey guys.
I'm looking at installing one of those universal transmission coolers from supercheap/autobarn, just wondering, how do I tap into the gear box to get the oil to the cooler?
Thankyou

I found some lines running from on top of gear box. The just seem to be for the diff breathers, or am I just following the wrong hose? Are there already some transmission oil cooler lines I can tap into?

there are breather lines

and yes your an idiot :sarcastic: go back to your beer and leave the poor gearbox alone.
if you want a use for the cooler use it as a fuel cooler.

Why would I cool the fuel? Lol I'm having a blonde moment. Lol that didn't answer my question. Where are trans lines?

there is none on a manual cogswapper.

If you insist on cooling it though, you'd have to plumb a separate pump, to and return lines.

Use the treaded plugs that are already fitted, one is halfway up one side and the other is on the bottom, this is where Nissan fit the trans cooler when they export D22's to the sun, lol.

I'm not sure a cooler is even needed with a manual box. Because the auto fluid is used to actively translate the engine rotation into the gearbox, it's understandable that it will heat up and particularly so when towing, but in a manual, the stress is all taken up by the cogs.

There might be a small amount of shearing on the oil molecules in the gear faces but that should never amount to enough to worry about.

If you really want to do it, why not get the pump section from an auto box, replace the pressure plate and clutch with a torque converter, fit a TCM unit to the side of the box and wire that into the ECU (ports 57, 58, 87, 88, 121 and 125 on the ECU). You may need to add some clearance in the floor pan (above the gearbox) for the TCC solenoid and clutch assembly but if you're happy with a home-made tiptronic who cares about a bump in the floor? The whole assembly is about 150mm in size, but the manual box is 25mm lower than the auto, so you only need to raise the floorpan in the cabin by 125mm to clear the solenoid assembly.

Na mate, manuals dont make enough heat to worry about it.

However I wouldn't be surprised if say a Roadranger runs a cooler. Krafty should know that.

But a light duty box, no need.

Dave.

The cooler RR run is actually made by a subsidiary of the company that makes all my server UPS's. Not sure if that's good for my UPS's or bad for the trucking industry.

About which bit, the fact that RR run them or that they are made by a company that also sells electronic crap?

Yeah Eaton that make UPS's and other electrical and computer parts is also part of Eaton Fuller who make Transmission coolers for Roadranger. I don't know how the company structure works out but they all fit together somewhere.

Latest posts

Back