D40 2.5L t/d blowing up

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboGQ

Reaction score
hey guys. 2nd D40 has blown up out here, it was a 08 d40 2.5L t/d with no mods as clean as a nun,,, now i dont have details of the other apart from it was a d40, it is sounding like what happen with the zd30 with lotsa black smoke and no go... anyone know of simular experiences as i dont want my new one to go chitty chitty bang bang.....

need details !
fairly rare for them to blow. heard of a few which died due to manufacturing faults just after being bought. heard of a lot of common rails dieing due to water and contamination of fuel. injectors can stick open and it blows a hole through the piston.

If it's an auto there's a chance it has a DPF and THAT has gotten blocked up, or the DPF has been removed and there's a problem with one of the pressure sensors or the O2 sensor, causing the ECU to think it's regen time and it's dumping fuel on you.

Also (manual or auto) check that the EGR valve isn't stuck open ... actually, don't bother doing that, just block the bloody thing off (EGR pipe is the gold pipe running around the front of the engine just below the cam cover). Replace the gasket with a piece of stainless steel sheet that has no central hole, use sensor-safe Permatex Ultra Blue and that ends THAT particular problem for good.

Are you shore it's blown up?

I have heard of a few D40's where the boost solenoid packs up causing the turbo to stop spooling properly (if at all) and so the engine over fuels and pumps out lots of black smoke and loses all power.

Replace the solenoid and it's just like new again.

Also Tony he said black smoke. If it was the DPF been removed and trying to do a regen then it would be white smoke.

Last edited:
There could be a number of factors out that far, I notice both WA and SA have been getting some pretty high temps so I imagine out there it's even warmer and with Nullabor registering all of 2mm of rain for December conditions may be a factor, especially if there has been any sort of neglect.

Also as Tweake suggested fuel could be an issue, I know it's can be a scare tactic by manufacturers due to the unknown but if they got Bio it could have played a part in it. Someone suggested a few weeks back even Shell in WA was selling Bio because they ran out of their own diesel and there is several servos either side of you selling Bio.

Maybe Border Protection at right, it's Toyota country out there and all others will fail. That's it I'm not going over to the sister in laws wedding this year unless I get some Toyota badges.

no i have a 2010 spain built,, the local mechanic was telling me about it and the 2 cars he picked up. he has a 09 model and was wondering if there was a sequence of vehicles and asked if anyone knows of others... if mine went bang i would be saying a lot more than what i have lol... thanks for the replies guys and keep em coming

Who knows, everything is made to a price.

Remember the early ZD30 powered GU's.

The injection pumps were average and didn't last the distance. The computer couldn't keep up with the turbo changing boost pressure.

Nissan did alot of upgrades that should of been there from day 1.

Dave.

bloke i know had his d22 pack it in. no power, blowing smoke. then it seized. turned out the turbo packed it in and boiled the oil.

no i have a 2010 spain built,, the local mechanic was telling me about it and the 2 cars he picked up. he has a 09 model and was wondering if there was a sequence of vehicles and asked if anyone knows of others... if mine went bang i would be saying a lot more than what i have lol... thanks for the replies guys and keep em coming

ask him to jump on here and tell us what he found and done with them, this site may turn him into a d40 guru. :big_smile:

Latest posts

Back