diesel sucked in water today!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey fellaz was out in local offroad trail today when i crossed my usual passings someone before me must of got stuck and dug a deeper hole then usual so my bonnet kinda went underwater... the car turned off i kept trying to turn it on which i know its bad but had no choice on a number of cranks it started kicking over then i actually got it running again! it blew out heaps of white smoke whilst driving home then smoke turned into black and kinda dissapeared so what im wondering is what are some ways to inspect to see what i damaged? from my experience the car feels a bit more sluggish now its a 2.7td terrano any suggestions ?

It might have some water in the system still and that will hamper it, particularly if it's in the fuel. A decent dunking like that with a hot turbo could damage the turbo, so you might want to give it a once-over looking for cracks in the housing, oil leaking from places it shouldn't, and pop the air intake from the turbo and try spinning and wobbling the turbo compressor. It should spin easily, smoothly and freely with no shaft wobble.

You might have water in the tank, which is going to cause problems.

White smoke is generally a sign of unburnt fuel, black smoke is overfuelling. It's possible that your fuel tank drank a bit too, and the white smoke was caused by some water in the combustion chamber.

It's possible that you were supremely lucky and got away with it, this time.

What Tony said......

Similar thing happened to me once, but, I cleverly didn't attempt a restart. The best thing to do if this happens to you, and what I did, was to tow/recover the vehicle. Disconnect the turbo and intake piping and dry out what you can. Remove the glow plugs. And then crank the engine until you blow all the water out of both the engine via the glow plug holes. Then you can reinstall the glow plugs only allowing the air to enter the engine directly through the manifold and attempt a "naturally aspirated" restart, hoping and praying you haven't done any dammage, before reconnecting the turbo. If it starts this will allow the exhaust gasses to spin up the turbo and clear fully instead of pumping more water back into the engine. If you were very very lucky you can at this point reconnect everything and head to the lotto agents......

Then, promptly take yourself to your nearest snorkel retailer and invest!!!!!!!!!

Best of luck, Yakka

What Tony said......

Similar thing happened to me once, but, I cleverly didn't attempt a restart. The best thing to do if this happens to you, and what I did, was to tow/recover the vehicle. Disconnect the turbo and intake piping and dry out what you can. Remove the glow plugs. And then crank the engine until you blow all the water out of both the engine via the glow plug holes. Then you can reinstall the glow plugs only allowing the air to enter the engine directly through the manifold and attempt a "naturally aspirated" restart, hoping and praying you haven't done any dammage, before reconnecting the turbo. If it starts this will allow the exhaust gasses to spin up the turbo and clear fully instead of pumping more water back into the engine. If you were very very lucky you can at this point reconnect everything and head to the lotto agents......

Then, promptly take yourself to your nearest snorkel retailer and invest!!!!!!!!!

Best of luck, Yakka

There is no point going to a lotto agent because I tink he just used all of his luck up.He is lucky he didn't get a compession lck up and destroy the engine.

yeh just took it for another wash and test drive its running fine just blows more black smoke then ever the water in the compression stroke must of wrecked the injectors abit more

i was thinkin of replacing injetors its on 200k never been serviced by previous owners i found a set of recoed for $275 it blew excesive black smoke anyway and diesel mileage is absolutely crap finished 70 litres to 400kms

Latest posts

Back