Cutting off alloy roll bar for canopy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jap55s

Reaction score
Hey guys. Arb told me they will have to cut off my roll bar to fit the canopy. Is this correct? I thought the canopy just slides over the top nicely? Wouldn't removing roll bar be dangerous?

its not really a roll bar its a sports bar
its attached with 4 bolts to tub
a roll bar has a lot thicker wall diameter and preferably would attatch to floorpan or chassis not simply bolted to top of tub
if you roll ova the sports bar wont help you much
i havent seen a canopy with sports bar still attached

As sparra says it's only four bolts but I wonder what sort of people ARB are hiring if they are saying it has to be cut off. Maybe it's their way of convincing customers not to ask for it back so they can sell it on ebay along with the 500 other bars already there for $20

I'd be seriously questioning the decision to use that ARB outlet. If they're so incompetent that their canopy fitters think the sports bar has to be cut off, you'd have to wonder if they're just going to attach the canopy with stick-on velcro or something equally stupid.

My alarm bells would be ringing very loudly.

The other think that bears asking is where do they cut it off. Do they try and cut it off level with the tub hopefully not cutting the tub in the process or do the cut it off a bit higher and leave 4 chunks of ally protruding in the tub. Just seems all too weird for an installer to say such things.

Maybe they cut off the bars then unbolt the chunks so it's a nice neat finish, and use racing tape to attach the chunks to the bottom of the bars again. Very neat solution.

A neat solution for an extremely odd way of doing things. but it is ARB after all.

Lol. Race tape. Well he said would either unbolt it or cut if have to. Thanx. Think I will remove it myself
Thats what I did before having my canopy fitted.
Now the sports bar and the tunnel cover that were on my Nav sit in my shed collecting dust and getting in my way.
I really need to toss them out as I' am pretty sure I will never put them back on...
Bill

I think he meant "tonneau cover" which is either soft vinyl that clips around the lip of the tub and costs about $550 new from Nissan or bolts on, lifts up, is hard and fibreglass and costs about $2500 new from Nissan.

My spell checker hates the word "tonneau" too.

. Maybe it's their way of convincing customers not to ask for it back so they can sell it on ebay along with the 500 other bars already there for $20

i agree but i paid $10 for mine on ebay, The guy was pissed off hardly worth the effort

It's the same reason mine is still sitting on the mezzanine of the old man's shed, it got taken off and dumped there and the price I'd end up selling it for is just not worth the effort. I can't even be bothered putting it in the free market place because of the effort.

I think he meant "tonneau cover" which is either soft vinyl that clips around the lip of the tub and costs about $550 new from Nissan or bolts on, lifts up, is hard and fibreglass and costs about $2500 new from Nissan.

My spell checker hates the word "tonneau" too.
Indeed I did.
Thankyou...
Bill

ok guys, ive tries to look for the bolts to undo this myself. ...
Where are they? i cant find the bolts, do i have to peel back the tub liner?

If it's the same as the D40 the bolts are into the side lip of the tub and there is one on each leg of the bar, 10mm bolts with those nylon lock nuts from memory, they should be pretty easy to see unless the D22 is drastically different.

Ok the D22 bar is different, it's a one piece so the removal will be different, however it looks to me like the thing bolts on from below rather than using tags like the D40 one does.

Latest posts

Back