fan belt squeal desperation

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waledownunda

Reaction score
anybody out there know where my squeal is coming from. it started 9 months ago when a local dealer who shall not be named yet, decided that I neede a new fan belt. Thus started the ridiculous squeal on start up. This has led to new idler pulleys, belts , alternator. air con compressor and water pump. Whilst this was done under warranty it does not help as the problem is still there, at times even worse - but only on start up.... we are two weeks inot to our round OZ for 12 months and it really is a piss off to have this hanging over us. the d40 is the 2006 stx 2.5 turbo. any opinions whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers from Port Lincoln.

There are very few things it could be.

Fan Belt
You could get some "dri-lube" (any auto shop) and rub it on both sides of the belt as the engine is idling over. I'm not convinced this is the culprit.

Idler Pully Bearings
Get your hands on a can of Silicone Lube (made by the same mob as WD40 and found in hardware stores). With the engine OFF, give a small spritz in the bearing of the idler pulley and try cranking the car over.

Cooling Fan
This is a distinct possibility. Inside the fan is a clutch, the fan is designed to turn over slightly independently of the engine. With the engine OFF, grab the blades and gently rotate the fan. It should resist motion but it should be very, very smooth. If it feels like there's a bit of sand in there, this guy is your problem (and even if it's smooth, it could still be the problem - just not as badly developed yet).

I'd look at those. Good luck with it, keep us informed!

I would replace the fan belt again and if it is still there do what od Tony has said.
Spray slicone spray on each idler pully individually and if the noise stops you know which bearing it has been.

Genuine belt ?

I have heard of say Gates etc belts causing this bit its rare.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back