D22 in hot weather...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uniden

Reaction score
Today being 33 in melbourne, i realized it hasn't got as much grunt as it usually does. I understand the air-con is running, and turbo isn't getting the cooler air it normally does. But still my month old d22 seemed to be more sluggish than i expected in hot situations.
How does your D22 perform in hot weather compared to when it's cooler?

i noticed that also with mine..
doesnt like hot days,but will see how it goes after the snorlel is fitted..

I noticed that in perth with our hot days before i put the snorkel on. bt since i put the snorkel on and it is getting more air flow and slightly cooler air on 40 degrees days if that is possible lol it goes a lot better and aint as sluggish.

Your not imagining things, I think I read once that you would loose 5% power with a 20C increase in ambient temps.

You could probably do a wiki search for more exact figures for turbo diesels.

Snorkle wont add power, but the exhaust will. A snorkle main purpose is to stop water ingress during river crossings. Diesel tend to go bang if any water gets into them.

The snorkel will draw in air from outside the engine bay. On a hot day, the air behind the radiator there is very hot.

An upgraded exhaust will give you some benefits, but won't change (by much) the difference between cold mornings and hot days - the snorkel will. So will misting the intercooler, but that requires a water tank and sprayer. I'm seriously considering that mod now.

I don't know, I had my snorkel fitted before delivery. The front guard takes water splashes too much anyway.

The difference is noticeable but isn't mind-blowing - it's not like switching on nitrous. It's a feeling that the vehicle is less restricted on cold mornings, that it's finding it easier to get up to speed. In the heat, it just feels like it's struggling a little. It really is something you perceive, but I bet you could measure it on a dyno too.

I was going to post that, my ZD30 D22 did anyway. I replaced that a month ago with an Xtrail diesel to drive to work (50,000km a year with D22 susupension just did not appeal!) and I noticed even that was a bit flat feeling yesterday and today.

A snorkel should not make much difference at all to inlet temps.

Turbo's love cold air (and hence hate hot air).

The effect is doubled compared to an NA motor (with the zd30 running 1 bar or 1 extra atmosphere)

Towing a 2T boat is a bit harder, until you reach the boat ramp. haha Enjoy your holidays ( 2days left :()

with my old pulsar- gtir engine. was worked hard.
at about midnight -5am, out street racing as ya do when your young (legally of course )
boost would sometimes spike, and definitly way more power, with colder denser airflow.
but hot summer days, the car hated fast acceleration.
basically hot air= crap acceleration
cold air = engine loves you and will drive/perform faster and better.

like NOS. very very very very cold air, hence so much power is delivered when "NOS is activated"
Hope this helps.

My ZD30 since adding the intercooler doesn't really get affected by the heat to much.

Well worth the money.

Dave.

The snorkel will draw in air from outside the engine bay. On a hot day, the air behind the radiator there is very hot.

An upgraded exhaust will give you some benefits, but won't change (by much) the difference between cold mornings and hot days - the snorkel will. So will misting the intercooler, but that requires a water tank and sprayer. I'm seriously considering that mod now.

i was contenplating the same mod tony ,i was planning to use a windscreen washer setup, it would be easy to install ( and remove for service/wty )
but being a top mount i was a bit concerned about water finding its way onto hot turbo/head ect:hmmmm: , and how much would you need to mist to notice an improvment

i was contenplating the same mod tony ,i was planning to use a windscreen washer setup, it would be easy to install ( and remove for service/wty )
but being a top mount i was a bit concerned about water finding its way onto hot turbo/head ect:hmmmm: , and how much would you need to mist to notice an improvment

The wiper-washer bottle with a misting spray head from a garden sprinkler setup ought to work fine. As for quantity, it's smaller than you might think.

Your body cools itself by sweating. As air passes over the perspiration, it evaporates and as the liquid sweat becomes a gas (the liquid gains thermal energy) the body surface loses thermal energy and thus cools down. It does this with a very, very small amount of fluid and has worked for millenia. It's the same principle as an evaporative air cooler too.

It's works the same here. A small amount of fluid on the outside will just help the thermal transfer and chill the internal air. After having driven 7,000km this Christmas in the middle of Australia, I'm thinking something like this might improve performance a little more - and I don't even need to filter the water, I could use any quality I like because it's not going into anything.

Back