ABR Sidewinder Isolators

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navara09

Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering what the ABR Sidewinder isolators and monitors are like. has anyone used them? also what other brands do you suggest i could use and what are they like?

I use the basic Redarc smart start isolator. Simple to install and cheap ($99 on ebay). Have had it for bit over a year and a half with no problems. The battery monitors are an extra addition i haven't done yet.

Just purchased myself the DBi140 ABR isolator and the Link/Monitor to go with it. cant wate to put it in. How have you wired it up? have you put all ur accessories to the second battery like you UHF, Spotties etc?

I had an ABR sidewinder, worked fine, but they aren't sealed very well, so I sold it and got a Redarc instead.

Cant remember exactly how it works but the old fella down at the local engineering place ( he designed and produces tyrepliers to give him some credit) told me that the best battery isolator was a Ford starter solenoid from an XD-XF. The way I think he described it was that it links the 2 batteries only when it receives the 12 - 14 V from the alternator meaning that the second battery charges when the engine is running but automatically disconnects the 2 from parallel when the engine is stopped. Less than $50 and foolproof. Add a voltage meter to see whats happening.

I guess you could put some silastic around it and mount it up as high as possible and it may work forever. But for piece of mind I went for a fully sealed unit. It all depends on where you plan on driving, if you just do local trips/weekends away then it would be fine, I head out into the Desert so I felt I couldn't take the risk of failure.

Also the terminals weren't as big either from what I remember.

Latest posts

Back