Fraser Island Preparation Check-List

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke Wyrsta

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'd like to take my D22 for some serious beach 4WDing to Fraser Island.

I have a factory standard D22 which has just had a 35/40k service.

I'd like to know your thoughts or checklists on preparations and modifications I may need to make to get my truck up to confident spec...

I've had some experience 4WDing factory vehicles in Fraser and it was comfortable (had great sand and track conditions though).

I'd ideally like to start getting my truck ready for bigger trips to Cape York etc... so there is a bigger picture in mind.

Lookign forward to your thoughts.

Luke

Where to start, LOL?
Although a standard 4WD will go most places, I personally wouldn't go touring without these as a priority.
2 inch suspension lift,
265/75 A/T tyres or M/T for your future CY trip.
Underbody bash plates,
Aircompressor
Snorkle.

Bullbar, driving lights, winch, dual batteries, fridge are all nice to have as well. The list is truely endless, especially if your going into remote areas on your own.

Thanks 08KINGCAB.

I guess i'm just after common-sense bare minimum stuff.

I don't really know much about cars, but want to!

I already had in mind stuff like suspension lift, dual battery, bull bar etc... so good to see i'm on the right track. So i'll be investigating each on a case by case basis to do to my vehicle.

Thanks for your feedback.

L

I highly recommend spending the next few weeks looking through all the threads on this site, there is a wealth of knowledge in here.

I recomend you get as much as you can afford to, as many modifications are like insurance, i.e a snorkle protects your motor from being swamped and suspesion and tyres keep you on track. I reasoned fitting an air locker as insurance prior to cape York as I had a better chance of not getting stuck in water crossings and flooding the interia with it than without. Fitting heaps of gear doesn't mean you won't have troubles and plenty of people have done the Cape in poorly prepared vehicles no problems but I perfer to put the odds in my favour by having a capable and prepared vehicle. Every item that has been mentioned in above posts is a worthy addition as is a UHF to call for help and recovery gear.

Start with basic recovery gear (snatch strap, shackels, recovery points & shovel) for Fraser as it is prety easy driving other than the soft sand. You should get tyres, suspension, communications, under body protection, bullbar and snorkle at least before the Cape. Most importantly try to gain as much knowledge as you can as it will get you further than the best or most accessories.

Cheers:cheers!:

I think the most important things is to drive at the right times... If you drive at the right times its like a road the whole way...

A Standard nav will go up and down fraser all day, On the softer sand let your tyres down.. People have preferences but i would never go under 20psi... I never let my tyres down but if i get into some really soft stuff and it gets tough i'll let them down to 25psi.. Some people go down to 15-20 etc.. Each have their own preferences...

Make sure your oil is topped up, coolant full, dust out your air filter...

To be safe, Air Compressor, 2' lift, wider tyres and common sense will get you anywhere...

Mate a standard D22 will go everywhere on fraser with ease. Just let your tyres down to about 16psi and stick to the tracks. I see RAV4's, Honda CRV's, Outlanders, D40's etc up there all the time and they get everywhere they need to go....

Thanks all...i've driven Fraser before in a couple of stock utes...so i'm sweet with my factory rig....

Just want to have something to aim for to make her Cape confident :)

Gday luke

Ive done heaps of fraser trips over the years mate and a standard ute will go anywhere. If you want accesories to make your life easier then the above mentioned make life good. The first time i went all i had was dual batteries, max trax, compressor and a strap. I have a D22 2009 and i ran pressures like 22 with a load and 18 without dropping to 15 to cross ngala rocks. Good luck with your trip mate and just enjoy it no matter what you got.

Cheers

Josh

Mate a standard D22 will go everywhere on fraser with ease. Just let your tyres down to about 16psi and stick to the tracks. I see RAV4's, Honda CRV's, Outlanders, D40's etc up there all the time and they get everywhere they need to go....

They go everywhere they need to but the D40's are usually being pulled by a D22.

Is that what you're after Wires?

mate, just got back from camping at fraser for a couple of weeks and i got a standed d22 got every where i wanted to go the inland tracks where a bit rough at times due to all the rain.going up the sandy cape was a bit of a mission getting through the south nkalya rocks but a few goes at it made it through. there are a couple of thing that could make life easier but a standerd rig will get you everywhere

i just got back from fraser after 8 days of going over most of the island in a standard d40 auto never missed a beat i guess u have to hit things a bit harder like indian head but no problems at all, got all the way to waddy point with a camper trailer with ease i ran 22 psi all the time

Where to start, LOL?
Although a standard 4WD will go most places, I personally wouldn't go touring without these as a priority.
2 inch suspension lift,
265/75 A/T tyres or M/T for your future CY trip.
Underbody bash plates,
Aircompressor
Snorkle.

Bullbar, driving lights, winch, dual batteries, fridge are all nice to have as well. The list is truely endless, especially if your going into remote areas on your own.

get real !!!! he is only going on fraser island .... its just like driving the streets... the standard nav has a good lsd, and when he deflates his tyres ,will go anywhere a patrol will go (on the island)... dont scare people into thinking they have to spend thousands of dollars , just to go and drive on the beach ,,,* 2inch lift - in case of high tide (dont want wet feet).. * big tyres- let standard ones down a bit same foot print.. * bash plates- yes sand is very tough .. * snorkel - again high tide .. the only advise i agree on, is a compressor to inflate your tyres when you get off the barge .... maybe the biggest advice you could of given is a snatch strap and shovel ....:devil::devil:

get real !!!! he is only going on fraser island .... its just like driving the streets... the standard nav has a good lsd, and when he deflates his tyres ,will go anywhere a patrol will go (on the island)... dont scare people into thinking they have to spend thousands of dollars , just to go and drive on the beach ,,,* 2inch lift - in case of high tide (dont want wet feet).. * big tyres- let standard ones down a bit same foot print.. * bash plates- yes sand is very tough .. * snorkel - again high tide .. the only advise i agree on, is a compressor to inflate your tyres when you get off the barge .... maybe the biggest advice you could of given is a snatch strap and shovel ....:devil::devil:

08Kingcab is also referring to the fact that the original post eluded to setting up the vehicle for Cape York also.

08Kingcab is also referring to the fact that the original post eluded to setting up the vehicle for Cape York also.

ahhh yes the cape york adventure ... unless he plans to do the old telegraph track (and i doubt it ),, you can drag a caravan up to the top now .. nice graded gravel roads lovely ,, wont be long now and it will be open to most 2wd cars ... gone are the hard yakka days of bogs and ruts and shit,, nearly forgot the mighty jardine river crossing ,, nowdays it is achieved on a ferry ... cape york isnt what it used to be .... plenty of fuel and water/food is what you need ,, not $50,000 dollars worth of accessories.... ohhh and a big stick for the salty:rock: :devil::devil:

wont be long now and it will be open to most 2wd cars .

Gee, modern cars must be really pissweak. Was going up Cape York in 1988 and a vintage touring car made the trip up and back in two days from/to Cooktown on our rest day.

From memory, the biggest problem is the corrugations on the main drag(development road).

For Fraser all a standard Nav will go anywhere (we did) and all you need is let your tires down, make sure you have a snatchstrap, shovel, and a set of Maxtraxx would a good idea to.

Standard shocks are crap though and suspension upgrade will make life much more comfortable.

ahhh yes the cape york adventure ... unless he plans to do the old telegraph track (and i doubt it ),, you can drag a caravan up to the top now .. nice graded gravel roads lovely ,, wont be long now and it will be open to most 2wd cars ... gone are the hard yakka days of bogs and ruts and shit,, nearly forgot the mighty jardine river crossing ,, nowdays it is achieved on a ferry ... cape york isnt what it used to be .... plenty of fuel and water/food is what you need ,, not $50,000 dollars worth of accessories.... ohhh and a big stick for the salty:rock: :devil::devil:

Hardly $50k worth.
He asked for advice on getting his vehicle set up for touring. He got it and there is nothing unreasonable about the modifications or accessories that have been suggested.

Navaras in stock trim are nothing more than a tradesman's ute that has the capability of driving all 4 wheels at once. Anything that can be added to the package that will increase functionality, comfort or safety for Luke and his family is a plus.

fourfoot64 you seem to have blazed in here looking for a fight as is represented by the antagonistic Devil emoticons that punctuate every one of your posts after puffing out your chest and espousing your worldly knowledge. Not everyone has that experience or knowledge and that is why they ask questions. This forum has been built on that. It has and continues to be a useful source of information for many. Not all of it you will agree with ( seems you cant agree with anyone)
If you don't like it here then head back to Outers and beat your chest over there or Laud your ability and skills to the Bore Wheel drive action crew.

Ah F$%K it I've come this far........Basically Pull your head in and contribute in a positive way or F@#K off.

a%20InternetToughGuy.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back