TD27T clean up time!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
my wd21 was blowing excessive black smoke so today i pulled off the intake manifold off only to find excessive oil sludge and carbon buildup along the runners also the egr valve was discusting getting plates made up to block it. i took it down to local mechanic for them to clean up the manifold for 15 buks..... also the injectors came out and took them to diesel injector place he did a pressure test and they were around 90psi and squirtin straight forward so they will be reconditioned hopefully all this fixes the smoke and further more people will know what to do to get there td27t smoke free!

any questions on EGR valve block plates etc... pictures send em my way :wash_truck:

Attachments

• 12012011013.jpg
    12012011013.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 319
  • 12012011012.jpg
    12012011012.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 363
  • 12012011014.jpg
    12012011014.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
I just bought some steel plate today to make some egr blanking plates on a td27t. Does this mean I can use ZD30 egr plates if I want?

You still got some Dave?

Should be able to.

I am out at the moment Pinelli but Ill see if Matt can email me the CAD drwing he done and get some made locally as I think QLD is gonna be in clean up mode for a while.

Dave.

No flooding here luckily. Just damp.
CAD drawings would be nice but don't get them made up for me if youve got none lying around I'll knock them up at work once holidays are over.

Pinelli did you want me to get some more made? i got my first part of throttle body back its so clean i feel like using it as a straw lol

not just yet Dave =( i snaped the spill tube whilst removing injectors ordered new one from melb just thinkin should i change water pump to? whilst most of the top end is geting new parts?

Pinelli did you want me to get some more made? i got my first part of throttle body back its so clean i feel like using it as a straw lol

Hah! What I want is your throttle body. I'll swap you my nicely lubricated one for yours. I hope that doesn't sound like a come on.

Don't worry about the plates. I'll have a crack at it myself. Picking up steel plate tomorrow and access to workshop next week. Haven't got the engine out of the terrano yet. Getting the bugger out is proving more difficult that I thought. Had to resort to the old angle grinder to remove a few exhaust bolts. Never had to do that before. But jeez it was quick :)

Top. It's pretty tall. Can you remove them through the bottom? I've got an engine crane so lifting is pretty easy.

Yes, but who'd be nuts enough to attempt a body swap, hey Dion?

I did contemplate bringing the combined engine and gearbox out the front, but then had a close look at the number of items I'd have to remove, like front axle, steering members, cross members, radiator mount. Still, as I lie under the terrano removing rusty bolt with the angle grinder and trying to work out how the hell to get the torsion bar out, I still consider it. A bit bloody heavy and unweildy though, particularly with the transfer case hanging on the back.

:sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic:

I did contemplate bringing the combined engine and gearbox out the front, but then had a close look at the number of items I'd have to remove, like front axle, steering members, cross members, radiator mount. Still, as I lie under the terrano removing rusty bolt with the angle grinder and trying to work out how the hell to get the torsion bar out, I still consider it. A bit bloody heavy and unweildy though, particularly with the transfer case hanging on the back.

Removing torsion bars without a hoist is a shit of a job, I hate it. Even on the hoist it's a pain. Next time I'm swapping an engine in one of these, I reckon I'm going to go for dropping the driveshafts, removing the gear levers, and undoing the transmission, sliding it back out of the clutch splines, pulling the engine, then bringing the transmission forward, and dropping it out just behind the front diff. I'd call that half as much work.

I'm pulling the gearbox out of this one too. I sort of assumed I'd have to pull the torsion bars off. You reckon I'll get it out with them in once the engine is out? Even with the transfer still connected?

Going back a couple of comments, if the EGR plates on the TD27 and ZD30 are similar, do you reckon the dump pipes on the turbo will be as well? Given that the D22 and D21 are pretty similar beasts, do you reckon the dump pipe and exhaust from a D22 would fit onto the D21 TD27T? What size exhaust did the ZD30 D22 come out with from factory?

I'm pulling the gearbox out of this one too. I sort of assumed I'd have to pull the torsion bars off. You reckon I'll get it out with them in once the engine is out? Even with the transfer still connected?

It's untested but I think if you take the cross member off the transmission (not hard), and remove the gear selectors (not hard, need inside-circlip pliers), you can slide it forward so the bellhousing is in the engine bay and the rear driveshaft shroud would clear the torsion bar crossmember. Then roll the transmission clockwise (facing forward) as you drop it out and the transfer should clear the torsion. But maybe there's a hang-up I haven't thought of. Nissan don't suggest this method, perhaps because of the risk of dropping the trans off the stand when the thing is on a hoist.

Going back a couple of comments, if the EGR plates on the TD27 and ZD30 are similar, do you reckon the dump pipes on the turbo will be as well? Given that the D22 and D21 are pretty similar beasts, do you reckon the dump pipe and exhaust from a D22 would fit onto the D21 TD27T? What size exhaust did the ZD30 D22 come out with from factory?

I don't know that they're compatible, but maybe just maybe all the TD27 turbo's I've seen have the little dump pipe attached. It's a triangular flange pointing down at 30 degrees from horizontal, but maybe that is with the dump pipe attached.

bolted it all up yesterday no smoke runs like a brand new diesel engine ! i watched the gearbox shop as they killed them selfs trying to remove the gear box its a c*** of a job torsion bars have to be removed and on top re tightened when installed however i removed my commodore motor with the gearbox on it from the engine bay tilting the motor to a 45 degree engine as you jack it up not sure if this can be done on these cars as gearbox is long good luck though :)

i will check the wd21 work shop manual im sure they would list how to remove it the nissan way

Latest posts

Back