How's the Murray looking? Any other bush camping ideas?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digbyj

Reaction score
Was lookin at a few nights camping around Australia day, and was just gonna head towards Cobram Barooga and then turn off down one of those trails to the river. was just wondering if anyones been up that way lately and what the rivers doing, how the access is, any fish biting etc?
Open to any other suggestions if you know a good place that might not be too busy?
Cheers

i was up there for new years. its all flooded out. all camp sites between wodonga to echuca are closed. call parks victoria before you go for confirmation but id say with the rain that we are going to be getting very shortly id say its gonna be flooded. its not soo much the river itself its the tracks leading up to the campsites that are covered in stinky stagnant water and tbh i dunno if i would wanna be camping near stagnant water

You should work for tourism Victoria! Yeah thanks mate, you've confirmed what I suspected. Had heard talk but didn't actually know anyone who'd been up, that's probably why! Thanks for the info.
Was thinking might try down 90 mile beach way..

if ya goin there go to Golden beach area, or from about Marlo and then eastwards.

Lakes is dead and full of weed, seagrass and this awfull furry stuff.

Back to the Murray topic,
I wonder what/if the Cray season will be like this year.

if ya goin there go to Golden beach area, or from about Marlo and then eastwards.

In my experience when Lakes is all weed the best bet is further east, Marlo onwards is your best bet. Anything west of Lakes cops the same crap as Lakes but it clears out quite a bit from Marlo eastwards.

Also for those thinking of Golden Beach, Australia day is fishing comp weekend and the beaches around Loch Sport, Golden beach Etc do get fairly crowded, nothing stopping people joining in it's just crowded.

Also for those thinking of Golden Beach, Australia day is fishing comp weekend and the beaches around Loch Sport, Golden beach Etc do get fairly crowded, nothing stopping people joining in it's just crowded.

Not to mention the squadrons of mozzies

You should work for tourism Victoria! Yeah thanks mate, you've confirmed what I suspected. Had heard talk but didn't actually know anyone who'd been up, that's probably why! Thanks for the info.

You could try Dartmouth or camp around Eildon.

Thanks krankin, everywhere sounds rooted. Lookin for a quiet spot to camp, fish and relax with the missus, anywhere you recommend? Lake yurts is nice, not sure what rough campings like there but?
Cheers

How far are you willing to travel? There is caravan park camping at Lakes but otherwise there is plenty of places along the 90 mile if you're headed this way, some spots you can even get a caravan into

Thanks krankin, everywhere sounds rooted. Lookin for a quiet spot to camp, fish and relax with the missus, anywhere you recommend? Lake yurts is nice, not sure what rough campings like there but?
Cheers

depends what area of Vic you prefer...that time of year is still busy

Haha, lake yurts was meant to say lake tyers! I'm in Healesville I'd say within 3 to 4 hours from here, do that's a fair scope I guess! I'll check out what's east of Marlo on a map now..,

Plenty of spots on the east side of tyers, Nowa Nowa arm.
Fair few camps from the Trident and northwards from there.
Should do well with the duskies, using bluebait for bait or try plastics.
Move around and you'll find more fish.
While your there you can also take a drive south and try the surf beach, might be free of weed by then.

Or as Krafty mentioned, head further east to Marlo and beyond.

There isn't a great deal accessible between Tyres and Marlo (and I'm not giving away my secret location). You can camp at Tyres Light house but as Krankin said in another thread fishing hasn't been great, but it's peaceful, and you'll need atleast 2 weeks after the rains to clear the weed from the surf.

Up in the fresher waters of Nowa Nowa is probably quite good for some of the fresh water species and there is many camping spots.

There is a few roads with access to the beach but many are not on maps (even decent 4WD maps). I'm not sure what the camping is like at Marlo but there is decent fishing and many years ago we used to camp down near Conran on the river but there is no camp fires allowed down there.

Bemm River and Tamboon both offer some form of camping, not sure about Tamboon but Bemm you can camp almost on the beach. And then there is Mallacoota which I'd avoid if you don't like crowds as it's coming into prawn season and the place gets packed. All this rain might hamper the prawns a little but considering all the boat ramps and the camping ground were under water last year at prawning time anything is possible.

Yeah thanks fellas, this Nowa Nowa place sounds good, been to lake tyers a coupla times but must be the westside, stayed at camp site with surf beach access.
Now with the 4b and the big dog, thought somewhere a bit more off the track would be appropriate!
I'll probably head up there and then maybe just see what tracks I can find and where I end up.
Looks like the Murray is starting to reopen but they probably need the tourism do not sure how good the bush camping access would be yet, especially with more rain.
Got a new rod for chrissie so I'll test it out, I'm a rubbish fisherman by the way, line in water, can in hand, forget about fishing rod.

Any local map will set you right, look for Lake Tyres and check the arms and follow them back to the highway and you find tracks for places like the Toorloo Arm and the North Arm. Just remember to stay off the road to the Aboriginal Park, it's a private road and they don't like visitors.

The Lake Tyres Glasshouse road is about 10-15ks east of Nowa Nowa, it's a reasonable dirt road down to the lake and surf, there is residents along the road so it can be well trafficed but not many go as far as the beach. Once there you can see the Tyres boat ramp and you've traveled nearly 100ks to camp on the opposite side of the lake to the majority of people.

There is room for more than a few campers there so even if someone is there you wont need to be buddies with them, not sure if fires are allowed but the council at Bairnsdale will tell you. There is heaps of tracks around there (most do-able in a Hiace van as thats where we used to camp quite often)but not many fishing spots so stick to the disginated ones. Also be aware that anything other than the main road is rarely used so a chainsaw is probably a good tool to have.

Now ya just can't wait to go can ya :big_smile:

That sounds awesome! On google maps I've found pettman rd east of the lake off the highway which seems to have tracks leading down towards the opposite side to the boat ramp. Is that the road I want? Looks like an awesome spot, will probably arrive pretty late which will make it more interesting to find. But yeah rounds perfect for the dogs... and us!

Latest posts

Back