*VNOG* border track trip

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heata

Reaction score
I had a go at the border track last september, while I had a great trip, I underestimated the distances in sand. So I'm going again in July this year. I would love to tackle the simpson with Jase, but I just can't expect my young boys to sit in the car three days each way to get too and from the Simpson. So this area is a bit of a desert experience, sunny days and cold nights with very brisk mornings. Some of the SANOG guys might even make it. I have a thread in this section with some pics, of my previous attempt, but I can't seem to paste in a link.

Dates: My holidays are locked, so I'm looking at are leaving Melbourne Sat 9th July and returning on around the 13th or 14th July. You could do it in less, and if you haven't got this much time, you could easliy head home earlier. I need to allow a full day each way from Melb to the Mallee and back, but you could do it in less.
Route: I'm looking at going in through the Wyperfield national park via Rainbow, then up to Pinaroo then back south to the southern point of the one way section, then North via Ngarkat conservation park, then north, not sure how far, still to be decided. There is a fair bit on explore oz and 4wd action about this area.
Rating: A standard Navara will do this area with little difficulty, there are towns on the route I'm looking at, so fuel with a standard tank is no issue. Its mainly just sand driving, so long as you air down no probs.(where have I heard that before?) I did most of it with a camper trailer, but found this too slow, and on my own with only a hand winch, after the first recovery, I gave up. I found a good campsite and base camped, but with a few cars it would be easier. The camping is basic, so you need to be prepared in that respect. This time of year you would expect sunny days and very cold nights, great campfire weather!
Equipment: basice recovery equipment would be fine
So anyone who wants to come on a relaxed camping trip is welcome.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good trip heata, could be a good opportunity for us South Aussies to get together with you guys. I've put a link to this in the SANOG section so we'll see if some of the others are keen too. Pinaroo could be a good meeting place. Ahh something to start thinking about, nice one.

Yep.
Organising babysitters for the hairy ones.
Based on a 6 month projection of Anges roster and my ability to chuck a wobbly to get leave then this is on the cards. We should have a rooftop tent and a vehicle all set for this.

Last edited:
Hmmm ... gonna put this on the calander, and see if the wife notices that we (I) are (am) doing the trip ...

Heata, u know how my rig is set up - so U can leave the hand winch at home for this trip ... LOL.

And like Aido, will use the roof top tent instead of taking the camper trailer.

Heata - I am in. Leave booked.

We have been discussing this trip since Kurth Kiln and I am excited.

Thanks Will, hopefully some of the SANOGers can make it.
Aido good luck with the leave! As I mentioned you could do sections of the trip if you can't get the whole time.
Woody, you can picture the look on my wifes face, as I was bogged 10 minutes in to engaging 4wd. Then spending about 1 hr hand winching a fully loaded camper trailer about 40metres sort of around on an arc. But good to know you winch both ways:sarcastic:
Daz, I'm looking fwd to it too.
A couple of pics to get you thinking!

Attachments

• big country.jpg
    big country.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCF0432.JPG
    DSCF0432.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCF0447.JPG
    DSCF0447.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCF0463.JPG
    DSCF0463.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 113
This trip sounds interesting Heath.
Mark me in as a possible at this stage.

Last edited:
Ok so we have at this stage,
Yes
Heath
Ridgie
Aido

Maybe
Will
Navarian
Scotty
Woody
digbyJ

Oh and perhaps my first post is unclear, you could take a camper trailer with few issues so long as you are in convoy. It didn't work for me because I was on my own. It was really just some of the steeper sand climbs with twists and turns and resultant loss of momentum that made it difficult on your own, knowing that a recovery was human powered! but with other cars for a quick snatch or winch it would be straight forward.

Last edited:
Hey heata,
Stick me on the maybe list, all a bit hectic at the moment but i'll chat to the lady. I've got a tent but have been considering hiring a camper or some swags for this kind of trip. Maybe people can offer advice there? Why don't people like tents? Too annoying to put up?
Cheers, Marcus (now sporting egr/butterfly mod!)

Digby - IMHO an good tent is the way to go. Talk to Navarian - his is the go. Rooftops have there issues - and from what I've seen they are not as convenient as they are made out to be - talk to 08Kingcab who has done a heap of touring with one. A good tent takes up less room and is just as easy to put up - especially with help around.

Having said that - I'm a keen swag man on a stretcher under my awning - easy, comfortable and warm. However I am considering a tent like Navarians for this trip.

I like my tent,easy to set up and down,can stand up in it to get changed,has a centre pole to hang onto when i get in there with a few beers under the belt.You can get side poles for them as well so you can chuck a double mattress in.
If i have to knock it in some way,strong wind does move it around a bit being so high but it does have guy ropes.
If i was going into croc country i would get a rooftop,but being a shortarse the set up of those doesn't apeal to me.
If i was a swag man Ridgies would be the way to go.Jase also had a simular set up on the KC.
Heres mine at the Howqua last Saturday,looks a bit messy because instead or rolling up the awnings, i was a lazy bastard and just flicked them over the top.
P1150354.jpg

Back on topic,would road rubber be ok on the border track?

re road rubber, no worries. In fact there is a school of thought that says MTs can hamper progress in sand, since you dont try to 'grip' sand you try to drive over it, and MTs can simply dig holes in sand. But, either way this is not a challenging trip 4x4 wise.

For people looking for a 4x4 challenge, this is not the trip. Last year after I parked the trailer and did some day trips in my d22, stock standard but snorkle, I didn't even come close to getting stuck.
re tents its really what suits, for just me and the boys a have a 4 man dome tent and a shade shelter, its small light and easy to set up pack up. For the family a large canvas job, about 12' by 14' it weighs a ton, and takes a while to set up, but we all just spent a week at Eden in it no worries. The reality for us as a family is that we just cant pack all our gear, food, water, bikes, etc etc in the Navara even with the roof basket, and will go to a camper trailer this year for packing space as much as anything. But i hate towing and parking a trailer. Oh and the missus is very taken by the slide out kitchens!!

Digby - IMHO an good tent is the way to go. Talk to Navarian - his is the go. Rooftops have there issues - and from what I've seen they are not as convenient as they are made out to be - talk to 08Kingcab who has done a heap of touring with one. A good tent takes up less room and is just as easy to put up - especially with help around.

Having said that - I'm a keen swag man on a stretcher under my awning - easy, comfortable and warm. However I am considering a tent like Navarians for this trip.

My first choice would be a Kimberly Karavan, but this would be my next choice over anything else.

JET TENT.

No worries fellas, the missus is keen, we got a 6 man done and a 3 man. Just gotta get time off work now. sounds like could be a good little midwinter getaway!
Thanks for the tent advice, we'll work it out closer to the date.
Will have recovery gear, tyre deflator and air compressor by then too.

I hope you didnt base that on watching me the other weekend ... it was the first time i'd ever used it ... :big_smile:

In my oppinion it is much easier to use than a tent or camper trailer ... all will get wet if it rains ... but the roof top wont get any dirt because it aint on the ground (ever)

The roof top is better than towing a camper trailer when going through sand too. Just be careful to not get caught under low hanging branch's.

I hope you didnt base that on watching me the other weekend ... it was the first time i'd ever used it ... :big_smile:

Hahaha - nope - some tracking people use them and from discussion with others. You did a great job for the first time. The thing I got from watching you is us vertically challenged people would need a small step ladder to reach some of the stuff.

Remember - it is only my opinion and what works for me. I am generally on my own, with a dog or two - and none of mine can climb a ladder!.

Horses for courses...............or tents for gents!

:focus: Sorry Heata - back to the trip.

Last edited:
We did the Border Track in Oct 2010.

Bar a few steep dunes it is not all that difficult and you can drag a camper trailer through using the chicken tracks over the bigger dunes.

Latest posts

Back