Brake pedal feel (much improved)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4.8GU

Reaction score
Just thought I would share my recent experience with my d40 and its brakes.
Over the last few months I have noticed the brake pedal feel has been getting a bit worse (ie feels like you have to put ya foot to the floor). Well over the chrissy hols I had some time so I had a bit of a tinker.

I adjusted the rear drums. They seemed to be able to be adjusted up a fair bit to were I would call an aceptable level. I also bled the system from the proportioning valve at the rear. The pedal feel is now very good and firm. I am yet to try an emergency stop so cant comment on the actual stopping performance but the feel of the pedal is enough to make this worth the effort. Even the wifey noticed a difference (I also changed gearbox oil to synthetic and she noticed the smoother changes too!! wtf is going on)

I already have slotted rotors and upgraded pads on the front but have always been a bit disapointed at the pedal feel.

Hope this helps anyone with similar problems. Just make sure if you are doing it yourself that you don't adjust em up too much, don't want ya brakes dragging all the time!

Cheers
Brian

Thanks Brian I willbe onto this this weekend time allowing. How did you adjust the rear proportional valve. Is it with the spring short or long to get the full pressure to the rear brakes. From what I could work out the spring being long was full pressure but not sure.

Hey mate, I just bled the proportioning valve at the bleed nipple on it. I was tempted to do a full system bleed but the missus was getting sick of pumping the pedal already so just did the valve. From experience with Nissan Patrols this can often make quite a difference to brakes. It must be a bit of a trap for air in the system.

Also if you are lifted you can (on my 4x4 stx anyway) adjust the bracket on the diff to compensate. You will see what I mean when you look. I think you want the lever attached to the spring to be back against the socket head bolt coming out the back of the valve as much as possible (touching it) from what I gather.

The rear drums are easy to adjust. I took the drum off on one side to check it all out but you don't have to. There is a rubber gromet on the inside of the drum you can get a flat blade screw driver into. You can only go one way on the ratcheting adjuster so don't go too far or it is a pain to loosen off again. I just went a couple of clicks then check then go again until it is just kissing the drum. Mine were actually a fair way off before I adjusted em

Hope this helps people out, it would be good if it was not just my truck. Will be interested to see if you have positive results.
Cheers
Brian

Last edited:
there is a sticker in the left front door opening with proportion valve arm setting lenght. they dont stay with a full pedal, you have to keep adjusting manually.

Back