Boss Shock Absorbers for D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon

Reaction score
I have been investigating the possible purchase of some boss adjustable shock absorbers for the navara. I have been in contact with Andrew from suspension stuff in Brisbane and he reckons the rear shocks are not a problem but is not sure on the size for the front. Is there anyone in the Brisbane area who wants to be a guinea pig to trial fit some of these shocks? I'm keen but its a bit of a pain sending them back and forth to Townsville.

Here is a link to the shocks I'm talking about

https://www.suspensionstuff.com.au/...cts_id=1155&osCsid=4u3deet7o02atqstnf4m4tuvq3

And this is a copy of the email I have received from Andrew

G'day Jon,

We have measured up the front shocks for a Navara, and unfortunately the shortest length Boss shock we do is still too long in comparison. We don't actually know though if they would fit for sure without someone trying them, so if you wanted to be a guinea pig for us if the shocks didn't fit we could swap them over for Lovells. The rears wouldn't be a problem as we could make up something to suit. If you are in the Brisbane area, and could come in we could take some measurements and go from there.

Thanks Jon, if you have any more questions feel free to contact us.

Andrew Salmond
Suspension Stuff
www.suspensionstuff.com.au
1300 048 991

Jon,

The length of shocks on the nav shouldn't change unless you alter the bumpstops. (not recomended)
Unfortunately, we need some thing very close to stock length.
Heard Boss have had a few teething issue, but are pretty good shocks for the $$$.

Mates running adjustable Boss shocks in his GU cab chassis.

He seems happy with his.

Dave.

Jon,

The length of shocks on the nav shouldn't change unless you alter the bumpstops. (not recomended)
Unfortunately, we need some thing very close to stock length.
Heard Boss have had a few teething issue, but are pretty good shocks for the $$$.

It sounds to me like the boss shocks are prett close to the correct size but the guys at suspension stuff want someone to try them before advertising them as suitable for the d22. On paper they look like a very good shock. If someone gives them a go I'm sure they will be given a good price, I haven't included the rest of the email discussion but these guys seem genuinely interested in trying to get the shocks to work with the d22. I'm buying a set for my patrol as my EFS gear is pretty much shagged.

Hey recieved an email concerning shock lengths.

These are EFS brand

Hi Tom, these shocks are suited to a 45mm suspension lift in a D22 4WD. The fronts open to 308mm open, 215mm closed, and the rears open to 595mm open, 363 closed.

Boss shock sizes are:

length closed-open(mm)
12SA 219-320
12SA 245-372
12SA 279-440
12SA 295-472
12SA 324-530
12SA 331-545
12SA 336-555
12SA 344-570
12SA 353-588
12SA 356-595 OR
12SA 386-655
12SA 394-670
12SA 404-690
12SA 444-670
12SA 482-880
12SA 559-1000

Just need someone to confirm std Navara shock lengths.
Joshy, maybe since your are out??? or Zordo?

Last edited:
So it looks like there is definitely no problem with the rear shocks. The closed length on the front shocks is very similar, I wonder if it really matters if the open length is longer? Wouldn't the bump stops limit travel anyway?

So it looks like there is definitely no problem with the rear shocks. The closed length on the front shocks is very similar, I wonder if it really matters if the open length is longer? Wouldn't the bump stops limit travel anyway?

Open length no problem. The only issue (length wise) is extra 4mm closed length. (shock may limit travel not bumpstop) but you could always run an offset bush to make up for the 4mm but in saying that, 4mm shouldn't be an issue.

Another issue would be the thickness of the shock (60mm)

Jon, can you give a rough approximation of cost for a set of these shocks?

$200ea

Last edited:
As you guys Know i am going to the UK for all of July.
i will be able to get BOSS shocks & BOSS airbags when i get back
Cheers

Boss shock sizes are:

length closed-open(mm)
12SA 219-320

12SA 356-595 OR
12SA 386-655

Just need someone to confirm std Navara shock lengths.

Ok measured the stock shock lengths

Front: Closed 195-200mm (measure from centre eye to bottom of pin.)
Open 300mm
Rear: Closed 320-325mm
Open 530-535mm

bossshocks.jpg

Rear is sorted, Front maybe an issue! Bugger. Athough other places use 215mm EFS for the front and who knows how they measure the boss shocks as the pin and centre of eye would be at different heights.

Anyone got some aftermarket front shocks they could measure?

Last edited:
boss shocks

Hi guys, i know this is an old post, but none the less... My name's Rob, I'm the manager of OffRoad Boss, the new Australian distributor of Boss skocks. We have had alot of converstaion with the manufacturer of the new grey Boss shocks, and have great faith in the new shocks. We are backing them with a 12 month, 20 000 km warranty regardless of use. We now have a range of coil over shocks to fit the D40, allow quality replacement shocks, and an easy lift option.
If anyone has any questions or quieries, feel free to call me on (07) 55 286 512, or email me at [email protected]
Thanks, Rob

visit us at offroadboss.com.au

I've just recieved our first shipment of coil over shocks to suit the D40 Navara. These are an exciting new product, the same quality adjustable Boss shock, sleeved and threaded with an aluminium collar to support the spring. Great for supporting heavier loads like winch bars and bigger tires, and leveling out lift. Will try an work out how to post a pic of them.
Cheers, Rob

Attachments

• long_short_threaded_shock2.jpg
    long_short_threaded_shock2.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 45
I've just recieved our first shipment of coil over shocks to suit the D40 Navara. These are an exciting new product, the same quality adjustable Boss shock, sleeved and threaded with an aluminium collar to support the spring. Great for supporting heavier loads like winch bars and bigger tires, and leveling out lift. Will try an work out how to post a pic of them.
Cheers, Rob

Just clarify for us that, the ride height can by adjusted by screwing the collar up or down?

Do you have rear shocks too? And the million dollar question, how much??

Yes the ride height can be adjusted just by moving the collar up. You can re-use the original spring to keep cost down, or we can supply heavier rate springs. Simply moving the collar up 25mm will equate to a 50mm lift, at which point spring tension is slightly increased anyway. We supply shocks for the rear at $205 each. Price for the fronts has not been confirmed yet, will let you know as soon as i know.
We are currently developing some exciting, simple solutions to lifting the front of D40 up to 5", more on that soon.
Cheers Rob.

Yes the ride height can be adjusted just by moving the collar up. You can re-use the original spring to keep cost down, or we can supply heavier rate springs. Simply moving the collar up 25mm will equate to a 50mm lift, at which point spring tension is slightly increased anyway. We supply shocks for the rear at $205 each. Price for the fronts has not been confirmed yet, will let you know as soon as i know.
We are currently developing some exciting, simple solutions to lifting the front of D40 up to 5", more on that soon.
Cheers Rob.

Sounds good,

I'd be very happy with a simple solution to a 3" lift. I'll be interested to see what you guy's come up with, especially since the front end is different in the Thai and Spanish built trucks.

It sounds to me like the boss shocks are prett close to the correct size but the guys at suspension stuff want someone to try them before advertising them as suitable for the d22. On paper they look like a very good shock. If someone gives them a go I'm sure they will be given a good price, I haven't included the rest of the email discussion but these guys seem genuinely interested in trying to get the shocks to work with the d22. I'm buying a set for my patrol as my EFS gear is pretty much shagged.
i'd be happy to be a guinea pig, my front suspension is shagged as well. do I just give them a call or do u have someone I can contact and go straight to the source.

0755 286 512 will get you either myself or Bruce, the owner directly. Be happy to talk with you about some options.
As for the differences in designs, we are able to combat that with our unique threaded upper and lower ends on our shocks, allowing us to only have to develop different ends to suit the application.

Back