Aftermarket Airfilter

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Escapee

Reaction score
I had a quick search in old threads and could only find info on K&N filters (which was enough to get me to stick to paper filters for now)

So I sent the wife to Supercheap Auto and the guy looked up the computer and said they don't supply air filters for the D40 Diesel. This seamed a bit strange, as I thought 1 square paper filter would fit all.

Does anyone here buy their paper filters aftermarket from any of the large car stores such as Supercheap, Auto-one etc and if so, which brand filter do you use and which store do you buy it from. Thanks in advance

SCA do sell the things, they are the same Ryco's as the R51 Pathy uses and I think if you search the D40 part numbers thread you'll find that i posted both the OEM filter number and the Ryco part number there somewhere.

I've seen heavily debated topics on what are the best filters and how bad Ryco are and i don't really subscribe to any theory, especially not since I've used Ryco's in other cars for years but last time i looked the Ryco's at SCA were only about 10 bucks dearer than OEM from Nissan and about the same price as the OEM ones from ebay so it might be worth looking at ebay too.

That does assume the 06 and the 09 use the same filter but I'm fairly sure they do.

Just my 2 bob's worth,
there aint nothin wrong or cheap about Ryco filters of any description.
I've only ever used Ryco or the OEM's, especially when it come to oil filters.

:cheers!:

and i dont own or work for Ryco.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't get a Ryco filter (none in stock) so I got a Wesfil WA1100 instead for $33 at Auto Barn. Hope it's up to the job.
I then spent the last 45mins pulling the entire air-box apart to give it a wash. I'm not too happy with the design of it going into the passenger side guard. There's drain holes in the guard, which means if you put the front left wheel into a decent stretch of bull-dust or under water, you end up with a direct injection of all that gunk straight into the filter box. This was evident due to the amount of mud and crud inside the filter box. I've never seen a filter box that dirty before. No wonder people go for the snorkel. I think that will be my next investment

P.S. what idiot thought to put a bolt with a 30mm thread under the filter box where it can't be seen or reached easy with only enough room to move the spanner 15-20mm at a time. Whoever it was deserves a royal kick in the nuts.

Couldn't get a Ryco filter (none in stock) so I got a Wesfil WA1100 instead for $33 at Auto Barn. Hope it's up to the job.
I then spent the last 45mins pulling the entire air-box apart to give it a wash. I'm not too happy with the design of it going into the passenger side guard. There's drain holes in the guard, which means if you put the front left wheel into a decent stretch of bull-dust or under water, you end up with a direct injection of all that gunk straight into the filter box. This was evident due to the amount of mud and crud inside the filter box. I've never seen a filter box that dirty before. No wonder people go for the snorkel. I think that will be my next investment

P.S. what idiot thought to put a bolt with a 30mm thread under the filter box where it can't be seen or reached easy with only enough room to move the spanner 15-20mm at a time. Whoever it was deserves a royal kick in the nuts.

No sure what Model D40 you have, but the Spain and Thai built trucks have different airboxes / filters.

2006 D40 RX Dual Cab with YD25DDTi engine. Only apparent mods are a Nissan Steel Bull bar and a Flexiglass canopy. Fuel filter might be an aftermarket one too. Going bush with the family on Monday, so I'll take some happy snaps then and put it in my avatar.

2006 D40 RX Dual Cab with YD25DDTi engine. Only apparent mods are a Nissan Steel Bull bar and a Flexiglass canopy. Fuel filter might be an aftermarket one too. Going bush with the family on Monday, so I'll take some happy snaps then and put it in my avatar.

If your VIN starts with VSK it's Spain, MNT is Thai

Because they can block quickly and cause the turbo seals to fail with the increased pressure.

Or so I've heard.

Shhhhh, thread hijacker, but thanks, was hoping someone would take the bait! Looks like my avatar's finally up and running, yahoo!

For the love of God. I just finished putting the air filter box back in. Took so long because of that same stupid bolt that made it hard to get out. I must have tried 100 times before I finally got it to bite. What idiots in the Nissan factory. It would have been so easy for them just to angle out the bracket so a socket and ratchet could fit. If I have to pull it apart again I think I'll be making a bracket to bolt it somewhere else. grrrrrr

iv been running a washable unifilter in my thai built d40 and havent had a problem with it after 10,000kms. just wash it out after dusty trips and re oil it up. cost me about 90 bucks from memory from opp lock in nth melb

iv been running a washable unifilter in my thai built d40 and havent had a problem with it after 10,000kms. just wash it out after dusty trips and re oil it up. cost me about 90 bucks from memory from opp lock in nth melb

I use the Unifilter as well Genius idea.
I drive mostly road and I still need to clean it at least once a month.
The idle needs a few moments to set itself each time.
Well worth its 90 bucks.
Just remember to use tuprs to clean it not petrol. As petrol decintegrates then foam eventually.

I have the uni filter to .Its been in for 7000 kms checked it the other day and it was filthy and ive only done a small amount of dirt .

Have you ever washed out your airbox? Mine was that dirty, I put a new filter in the other day, drove 6km and it was dusty already. I took the airbox apart and it was full of dirt. The filter stood no chance

Have you ever washed out your airbox? Mine was that dirty, I put a new filter in the other day, drove 6km and it was dusty already. I took the airbox apart and it was full of dirt. The filter stood no chance

That just doesn't sound right....are you sure your air box is sealing as I get bugger all dust etc past the filter. Also it won't take long before your MAF is gunked up and you start (probably already are) ingesting dust into the engine. Or is all the dust on the upstream side of the filter?

That just doesn't sound right....are you sure your air box is sealing as I get bugger all dust etc past the filter. Also it won't take long before your MAF is gunked up and you start (probably already are) ingesting dust into the engine. Or is all the dust on the upstream side of the filter?

Upstream side. I bought the car second hand last week 500km ago at 100,000km on the clock. First thing I did was change oil and filter and change airfilter and dismantle filterbox and wash it out. On the intake or upstream side of the filter it was clear the previous owner had wiped out the visible part of the filter box under the filter at least once in the service history of the vehicle as it was dusty but nothing like what I was about to see. The filter box is quite complex and without dismantling it you cannot get to all the other parts. It was in all the other parts that the filter box had accumulated large amounts of dirt. Possibly bull-dust from the drought. Inside the Wheel arch there is a piece of foam that acts as a splash guard and initial filter. This was caked up with so much dirt it had gone solid. There are also pieces of foam in the filter box that appear to be there as a sound baffle or possibly to slow down water. They were also solid with dirt and needed a good wash in warm soapy water. The amount of dust in there was unbelievable. There wasn't a single surface that wasn't coated in talcum powder like dust. I should of taken photos.

Last edited:
Back