Red pool under car

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biscuits

Ginger Ninja.
Reaction score
Got home from work today and there is a massive pool of red oil in the driveway where the Nav was parked. Quickly had a look under car and i don't know much about mechanical but it looks gearboxish.

up on the uni-joint. and the bolts at bottom of casing.

Oh and to top it off it is cloud which from memory is bad enough by itself

Attachments

• IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0238.jpg
    IMG_0238.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0239.jpg
    IMG_0239.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0240.jpg
    IMG_0240.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 140
Hi

It looks like it is coming from the front seal on the transfer box??. I had the same problem with my truck.I had it replaced under warranty.The seal cost about $30.00

Shane

Last edited:
Red is usually p/steering or auto trans fluid. Is yours Auto Biccies?

Sometimes fluid leaks start somewhere and are blown back on to another part of the engine etc, and don't appear to be what you think. (If that makes sense)

Definately sounds like tranny fluid but that being said power steering is the same flid. I would suggest crawl underneath and wipe everything down so there are no more drips. Once its all clean see if you can see any fresh drips after starting it and warming it up.
Does the transfer case on an auto run gearbox oil or tranny fluid?
Another thing to do is check your tanny fluid level and power steering level.
Keep in mind a little tranny fluid make a huge puddle it runs everywhere .

Specs in the manual for the transfer case oil:

Genuine NISSAN ATF Matic Fluid D or equivalent*4

Note 4: Contact a Nissan dealership for more information regarding suitable fluids, including recommended brand(s) of DEXRONTM III/MERCONTM Automatic Transmission Fluid.

MA.PDF, p13.

That oil could be coming from either place, and down there I doubt it's the power steering pump but as said, degrease + hose-down to get it clean. You'd have to drive the vehicle to make it leak - the transfer case does squat while the engine's idling in park/neutral and the auto box is almost the same (input shaft turns, nothing engages).

I'd check those fluid levels first, before starting the vehicle. You don't want to push it around with the box/case empty.

Righto, so i have been out there this morning and checked all the fluid levels i know how to. Powersteering fluid is sitting on the cold-max mark. So it is not that.......

which mean, sad face. I have a feeling it is the transfer cae or gearbox. Now i need to know how and with what to refill it with so i can get it to a mechanic?

research time.

Have you got the manual biscuits?

I know how to check the level in the gearbox, but I think the manual shows you how to refill and or check both.

If you are worried about warranty, go to Nissan and get the oils.

If warranty isn't the issue, talk to the mechanic, he'll know what oil to use, they have charts of compatible oils.

Checking the auto gearbox fluid level is easy, I would suggest you check that there's at least SOME oil on the dipstick before warming it up for a measurement - so check this LAST.

There's an inspection point on the side of the transfer case, you need to undo it and feel that the oil level is just below the inner lip of the threaded hole. You could clean a paddle-pop stick and poke it in at an angle and withdraw it - if there's any on the stick, it's probably safe to drive to the mechanic.

Ring your local Nissan dealer, explain the problem and ask what they think and what you should do/check to get the car to them, then do what they suggest and take the car where ever you want. My mechanic rings one of the local Nissan service dealers whenever they are working on Nissan's just to confirm stuff or ask where stuff is and they are usually reasonably helpful when they think they are going to get a job.

I'm pretty sure it the the front of the transfer case. I cleaned it up and it appears to be leaking from one point.

First photo is source of leak. other two are to give reference to where it is on the car.

Going to give nissan a ring now.

Attachments

• IMG_0241.jpg
    IMG_0241.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0242.jpg
    IMG_0242.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0243.jpg
    IMG_0243.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 63
So it turns out to fill the transfer cae you just take and top top bung with and 8mm allen key and fill it till it just flows out.

How? it is under the car and the bung hole is horizontal??

Latest posts

Back