Full Steering Lock Noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NavaraD22

Reaction score
When I turn on uneven ground, around full lock, there is an awful loud metal scrapping noise. I understand this is due to the full-lock-stoppers (not sure what they are called).

My D22 has done this since new. I mentioned it at the 10K service and they told me it is 20 dollars per side to replace the plastic stoppers and they are not under warranty as they are a perishable item. They said they normally last til 15K, unless you do lots of four wheel driving.

Is there any point in replacing them? Should they wear out so quick?

Any advice or tips on how to fix the noise?

I think the only way to stop the noise is to stop turning so much. Hahahahahahahaha
No seriously, you could replace the plastic stoppers, but they are just going to wear out again.

Grease it. BUT don't keep at full lock, always turn back a little. At full lock power steering pump is pumping twice as fast and gets more than 3 times hotter. That's how you destroy your power steering system. I've seen it happen before. Next time u turn full lock. U may slight hear a pump or lights may dim, that's the pump over loading itself

Is there a specific grease you should use? or doesn't it really matter, since your probably need to reapply every few weeks or so?

It doesn't really matter Heath.You could use a high temp grease but its not doing anything but lubricate the metal to stop the screach.My 03 came factory fitted with the squeak and never worried about it.

Is there a specific grease you should use? or doesn't it really matter, since your probably need to reapply every few weeks or so?

Think i just use any old super cheap grease. But i applied a lot on the stoppers and the noise has not been back for 3 months, so for $12 - $20 its a good investment imo. Good luck

Brett

dealer recommended using a lanolin based grease which i've found works really well. they do wear out but not a frequently as is sounds with some others. the lanolin shit doesnt wash off but does gather a lot of dust and crap which i spose all greases will. i think they charged me $6 a piece, for such a small stupid part its worth trying to get the most from them

Stopper caps are a waste of money, buy some decent moley grease instead. I redo mine every couple of services (10,000kms), dont forget there's two per side of course.
+1, put some thick grease once in a while and you're good to go

Back