2 b Navara or not 2 b

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumtree

Reaction score
Greetings and apologies from a Vic newbie..

I'm passing on our 05 Bravo, we are split decision b/t a current STX 2.5 Auto vs. current Triton DID auto. We just cant reconcile between the two vs. our needs, & would welcome some suggestions or honest feedback.

Our need: previously a weekend truckster for dogs, looks like maybe I'll need a everyday drive, dyslexic wife to co-drive on weekends down to beach shack. Dog family = need ute to hose out. Want auto, occasionally tow small tandem for home reno stuff, wife likes dual zone a/c, but not confident in big truck. Me: power/torque, parking ease. Dogs: sniffing each others butts, POSSIBILTY of Triton rear elec window access to their area. we rarely need to go serious 4wd, but just cant get past a 4wd ute.

Triton GLXR likes:
Car feel, rear window drops to allow load thru for rear (with canopy) / a/c the dogs!; modern dash layout, turning circle.

Dislikes:
Less power/torque (this could be my daily driver); lousy cabin storage; crap windscreen mount bluetooth phone control, overly plastic interior vs STX; sprung too high (dog approach/entry angle ;)

STX likes:
Fold up rear seats, power/torque, dual zone climate, bluetooth integration to steering wheel, cloth trim on doors, maybe quieter vs triton, modest tray height.

Dislikes: dash plastic resonance on demo drive, massive blind spot drivers' B pillar, boring dash, turning circle.

So, advice needed on:

* a more relevant thread topic; or

* if it is at all possible to convert Navara rear window to openable format like Triton;

* A cure for the Nav' dash resonance;

* Opinion on why, would Mitsu allow a 4WD to go 15kkm between services on their fixed price service plan, given both breeds ingesting same amount of dust...?

* Real world consumption figures...

Thanx!

I was considering selling my D40 for a Triton
I found the Mitsubishi to be not as nice interior as the Nissan (thats what you look at every day)
The Nissan has extremely low power down low so take off is a bit of an issue.
the DPF filter people are having trouble with also driving around town not sure if this is a problem on Triton as well or not.
my opinion would be to go a 4x2 on the 4x4 chassis (use less fuel same appearance)
and go for the rig with the nicer interior. as ride quality is both similar and you will need 2 goes at parking in Kmart carpark regardless of what rig you buy.
hope this helped

thanx for reply, sorry but is DPF diesel pariculate filter? Wasnt sure these engines have these..? You felt D40 low power, but given the power/torque figures in its favour was this turbo lag? I have read a few blogs on triton which suggested poor turbo lag. BTW we drove both today, and really hard to distinguish as both motors new & tight...

I've previously considered 4 x 2 to improve dog approach angle instead of leaping tall vehicles in a single bound (why??: ruptured anterior cruciat ligament fix = $4k...!). At times I've needed 4WD lo on my home small acreage, so a tendency to keep that...and second problem is the 4x2's dont have the nice bits, e.g. rear elec window...

p.s. all: If we get the Nav, the rear sports bar and utili-track will be redundant to us, any demand for these...??

re...

Last edited:
There was some talk that the newer (2010) ST-X autos didn't have DPF's however there has been some owners on this forum report they do have DPF's so anyones guess is as good as another by the sound of it. Maybe if the DPF guy is sick on the day your truck gets built you don't get one I have no idea, although I do know that DPF's are nothing to be afraid of, they might use a little bit more fuel, and they could fail but so can every other part on the vehicle. When larger diesels can run DPF's for 500,000 ks without issue and only for half a dozen automatic regens I don't consider the small Nissan DPF to be that much of an issue.

As for the power issue, well it's a diesel, it's never going to take of like a Ferrari but who wants it too, taking off that quick and driving that hard especially in the city adds to disappointment at the fuel pump.

There is two threads on the go right now about a rear sliding window, no idea if they suit the new model D40 but I'd imagine if someone's making it for one model for a price they'd do it for another model.

As for the demand for the bar and track, well the track is still useful even with a canopy but there are a few people interested in those however the demand for the bars is nearly non-existent. Most of the time there is a heap for sale on e-bay and quite often they are just given away on here so despite their outrageous Nissan price tag don't expect to get rid of them for a good price no matter how new they are. If you do then it's a good bonus.

Given the choice of the Triton or the D40 I's still choose a D40 because I also felt that no matter what extra's the Triton had it still felt like half the vehicle the D40 was, but then I brought mine more for comfort on the long haul not bouncing off trees in the bush.

Thanx heaps Krafty, interesting link / product. I guess challenge will be how to get Nissans' dispensation from a warranty void on this....my Bravo has the mother of all lags, so i was confused with the previous reference to Navara lag, didnt worrry me on the test drive....

Back