Canopy roof rack - Building your own

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flynndog

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am looking at the feasibilty of making my own roof rack. I have the main design down pat, and it will be going on the canopy, similar to a tradesman rack, minus the open end at the front.
The question is, has anybody had a go before at this and have any pointers I need to be aware of? Also at this stage it looks like it will cost somewhere in the vicinity of 400-500 dollars (steel). Has anyone seen steel roof racks cheaper for a canopy mount?

hay im just making a conopy for my nav with a roof rack that bolts to the canopy i pick the roof rack up of ebay for $100 and cut it down to suit the size i wonted

Guys

i've got a 2nd hand ARB roof rack (1.8m) that i've taken off my navara ... i think i paid $400 for it 2nd hand ... i dont have the mounting brackets, as i made up my own simple mounting system to the racks on my canopy - worked great, until i wanted to put a roof top tent on. (tent ended up being too high off the ground and the ladder would not reach ground)

It has been modified to mount a 150 dia tent pole tube on one side of the racks - brackets will remain on the roof racks.

Any reasonable offer to take it off my hands will be considered. (pick up melbourne eastern suburbs)

Thanks for the offer Woody but I'd have to drive to Melb to pick it up and I'm not heading down anytime soon

That's the way to go

I may re-cycle my Rhino Rack off another rig. The bolt on cross rails I had made from 50 x 25 steel RHS so easy to modify. Rhino is a bit wider than I would like. Maybe it can be cut down as it looks like a kit type unit. I got ARB quotes but the items don't match by part number with their web site illustrations. so don't want to drive the 300kms each way to Rocky just look at a picture.
hay im just making a conopy for my nav with a roof rack that bolts to the canopy i pick the roof rack up of ebay for $100 and cut it down to suit the size i wonted

Nar flynndog i just went on ebay and put in roof rack and looked through them all till i found what i was looking for

Hi we have a D22 2006 navara and want to put a roof top tent on but have the ARB DRAW system and they say because of the battery being were it is we have to put the tent over the cab has any one any ideas how to overcome this problem

Back