Auto or Manual?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott260c

Reaction score
Im looking at buying myself a D40 in the next few months and ive narrowed it down to the turbo diesel king cab but cant decide whether to go auto or manual?
Originally i was leaning towards the manual but then read about them having a weak clutch and something about a gated first gear and stalling in traffic? Also ill be travelling approx. 150km's a day to work and back on the freeway (Sydney's M5 carpark), then read about the auto's using alot more fuel.
Also on weekends ill be towing a boat (19ft Aluminium) and occasionally a car on a trailer.

Would like to hear your opinions on which one you would go for and why.

Cheers, Scott:cheers!:

Welcome to the forums Scott.

I'd go the auto (and did) for towing and the ease of driving 150ks to work each day. I spent 20 odd years gear jamming anything up to 15 speeds and by the time I quit that life i was ready to drive in a relaxed manor. I'm not a city driver very often but if I had to spend 150ks driving to work each day I'd go the auto every time.

As for economy, some will tell you the KC is terrible on economy no matter which box is in it but there has been some reports that KC's are doing alright, and realistically traveling the roads your going to work each day I think I'd still choose an auto over any supposed economy savings. But it also pays to remember that even if others are reporting bad economy it doesn't mean you will only get bad economy, economy has more to do with the right foot than it does with many other factors.

Welcome to the forum!

For towing, the auto straight away. Especially since you're towing a boat - on a boat ramp, you'll ride the clutch more than it can manage and you'll burn the clutch out really fast.

As for using a lot more fuel, it's not a LOT more, and getting the thing up onto a freeway (80km/h+) locks the torque converter so that it will be just as fuel efficient (once you're at that speed) as a manual.

Why is it that the KC's use more fuel than the DC's? I would have thought the KC would be lighter?
Would like to hear from someone who has done alot of towing with a manual and what you thought?
Also im not too worried about using the manual in traffic, im 28 and have been driving an auto for the past 3 years and am starting to find it boring which is why i was leaning towards the manual at first. Also i should add that most days i will probably be riding my motorbike to work so i guess i shouldnt be too worried about the extra fuel consumption of the auto.

I don't think anyone has a definitive answer as to why the KC is worse on economy, but having said that there are a number of people here who claim they get decent economy so it's not all KC's. It just pays to remember that everything you add to it has the potential to use more fuel, and the harder you drive it the more fuel you will use. I know the stats disagree with me but in general I think manuals use more fuel too because so many people rev a manual harder to change gears and many just take the rev's out further than they need to before changing, but like I say general car stats seem to suggest this isn't the case.

As a manual DC driver I prefer manuals, hence I bought one. Never had a problem with the gated box. at low speeds I can change back into first very easily. I drive it like a truck though and it will easily go into 1st after you foot is on the clutch to ground for several seconds.

Driving wise I rarely go over 2500rpm before I change and often I change up around 2000rpm. Have been averaging between 9 and 10km per litre since I bought it but I have only done 5000km in it and the car has only done 45000km.

I believe, like others, fuel economy has a lot to do with the right foot, and I rarely plant my foot, but being 22, my planting the foot may be different to others.

i was asking myself the same question when i was buying my d40. only ever having owned manuals i wasnt that keen on an auto. i ended up getting an auto and love it. the test drive sold me.

take both for a drive and try and replicate the driving you will be doing and then make your decision on that.

Why is it that the KC's use more fuel than the DC's? I would have thought the KC would be lighter?
Would like to hear from someone who has done alot of towing with a manual and what you thought?
Also im not too worried about using the manual in traffic, im 28 and have been driving an auto for the past 3 years and am starting to find it boring which is why i was leaning towards the manual at first. Also i should add that most days i will probably be riding my motorbike to work so i guess i shouldnt be too worried about the extra fuel consumption of the auto.

Kingcabs are heavier than a Dualcab.

I never had a problem with the fuel economy, averaged 12's around town. It was just that lack of off idle torque that gave me the shits.
My new Patrol(auto), with less power and heavier weight would suck the headlights out of my KC from a standing start and that's while eating a hamburger and talking on the phone. Love the auto!

Hi all - my first post.
I picked up a 2nd hand DC a couple of days ago and after 20 years of driving a manual, and being adamant about getting a manual D40, we got an auto!???

Now I am reminded that, like our friend a couple of posts ago, I can eat my burger straight out of the dive thru, rather than having to wait for a clear, straight bit of road..

Not really a big reason to choose one over the other, but I have to say I was converted to auto by other forum posts - I'm towing a camper trailer.

Good luck whatever you buy - so far so good with my first Nissan (even with 60k on the clock).

Welcome Morgo, welcome to the "those who can eat burgers and still drive" group

I think ive actually convinced myself to get a manual now. Have been reading about the clutch prolems with the D40 so i figure once the standard clutch goes then ill just get it replaced with a heady duty single mass flywheel which seems to be the way to go.

Any thoughts on this?

You'll still have grief on the boat ramp. Heading up and down a mate's gravel, rutted driveway today, through his herd of goats, I wish mine was an auto. Even in low 4x4, I was still riding the clutch most of the way waiting for the dam things to move out of the way.

Go for the manual if you wish. I just hope the clutch doesn't give while you are actually on the boat ramp, with the boat behind you :)

I think ive actually convinced myself to get a manual now.

i wanted a manual in 2006 when i got mine the mrs drove auto and wanted it. im happy to say it was the right move,we tow horses a lot and everywhere.

and can you make sure you carry a camera at all times at the boat ramp and promise to post photos of it floating when the clutch fails please:thank_you2:. :big_smile:

Have you tried driving a manual D40? I found the shifter to be too trucky for my taste. The throws are really long, specially reverse. :driver: I've found my friends with manuals consume more fuel in traffic coz they tend to get more impatient. :sarcastic:

ive done 21k in my manual towing about 2.5 tonne each day. clutch is still fine, but next time i think i will go the auto. the turbo lag is a real pain in the arse when you take off.

Latest posts

Back