Anyone have any experience with the Nissan Extended Warranty?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gumbycop

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Nissan Extended Warranties? Do they require dealer servicing or can I get someone else to do the logbook services?

I have a 2008 D40 ST-X with just under 20,000 kms on the clock (Low kms due to driving work cars frequently). Vehicle has been serviced by Nissan every six months to maintain new car warranty, despite the low travel!

I'm coming up to the end of my 3 year new car warranty in a month and with all the horror stories about timing chain failure and the like, I'm wondering if the the extended warranty may be a good idea. I'd rather not continue having to pay expensive dealer service prices for poor quality work which has been my experience so far.

Any advice is appreciated?

you can use any licensed mechanic to do your service so long as they use nissan geniune parts. Find out from Nissan how much to buy all the parts for your next service and compare with what the mechanic will charge. If he is aware you are willing to get parts yourself he may only charge you a slightly higher rate than his trade price. Definately worth looking into. Many dealerships are notorious for bad service. It can also be worth marking the parts that should be replaced or refill ports for lubricant changes, just to check you are getting what you are paying for.:rock:

Thanks for the advice.

Any thoughts about whether the extended warranty is worth it?

I had an extended warranty. They gave me the opportunity to extend it again when it ran out when i was in there getting my snorkel fitted. For the price of the extended warranty I deemed it not worth it, as I have heard they'll find any excuse to charge you on some things, but also when you do modifications to your car eg: lift kit. should there be a problem with something to do with anything that can connect it to that lift kit you are not covered... correct me if I am wrong anyone, but I'm pretty sure that is the case.

You get 24 hour roadside service, quite handy if your weren't a member of Racv (Or any other)

I wouldn't think its worth it. look after your Nav, regularly service it, and do pre trip checks you should be right without it.

One more thing. The money paid for the extended warranty never got used. was a waste, because nothing ever happened with it and mine is serviced by my own mechanic.

I don't know about Nissan but I was reading the mitsibishi extended warranty today(stuck in a storm and was bored) and the extended warranty is not as comprehensive as the initial new car warranty. Not to mention mister nissan is an absolute jew and will find any reason to try and deny a warranty claim. If your first three years are pretty uneventfull you should be right without it.

Extended warranty is like any other warranty, it's there as an insurance policy, but the insurer still has the right to deny a claim and leave you out of pocket. That doesn't automatically mean they will, but the fine print on an extended warranty is usually different to the standard warranty so make sure you read everything and understand it before you sign on the dotted line.

I don't know the exact wording of the extended warranty anymore but they no doubt add things like "servicing done where they say so", "servicing done when they say so" etc etc. You could end up paying Nissan prices for everything and if another mechanic works on your ute they may void any claims. But like I say I haven't read one in a while so it could be different now, but you'd be crazy not to read it thoroughly yourself and get them to explain anything you don't understand.

I don't know about Nissan but I was reading the mitsibishi extended warranty today(stuck in a storm and was bored) and the extended warranty is not as comprehensive as the initial new car warranty. Not to mention mister nissan is an absolute jew and will find any reason to try and deny a warranty claim. If your first three years are pretty uneventfull you should be right without it.

I do have the factory extended warranty and it is a 100% extension of everything covered by the new car warranty.....the extended warranty is provided by Nissan and not some third party provider. That said as I'm still under original warranty I can't comment on its usefulness..

.the extended warranty is provided by Nissan and not some third party provider.

I thought someone here about 6 months ago said the extended warranty was provided by the dealer not Nissan and although you could still be covered at any dealer the dealer you took it out with is the one that has to authorise warranty claims.

I thought someone here about 6 months ago said the extended warranty was provided by the dealer not Nissan and although you could still be covered at any dealer the dealer you took it out with is the one that has to authorise warranty claims.

I was "given" the extended warranty on my vehicle when bought 2ndhand from a dealer. I was under the impression that it was by Nissan and not the dealer, but when I contacted them regarding my only claim Nissan suggested that I take the matter up with the selling dealer. So, Krafty might be right on this.

The extended warranty is around $1000, from memory, so you just need to weigh up whether or not you'll recoup that in repairs. I asked for the dealer that I bought my car from to include the extended warranty as I didn't know the vehicles full history and saw it as some extra insurance. The vehicle may be serviced outside of Nissan dealerships as long as the service records are kept up to date.

This is a copy of the first page of the Nissan Extended Warranty Product Disclosure Statement.....see the bit headed "Who is the issuer"

Attachments

• nissan_warranty.pdf
    36.1 KB · Views: 102
I guess the other thread was wrong then, or they have recently changed things, either way it doesn't effect me but hopefully those reading in the future will read this thread and not the other one.

Pfft, maybe the lady from Nissan should have read that too.:big_smile: When I advised the service manager of Nissans response, they opened up my warranty book and read what I had saying "I'm sure that's hwta you're covered for!" :sarcastic:

Is the warranty worthwhile? In my case "yes" as i bought the geniune nissan (not dealer) warranty a few months ago as the factory warranty ran out in november. Now 2 months on and my turbo is now leaking oil everywhere and they are replacing it under warranty.

New Turbo is 4K and warranty was $1200 for extra 3 yr and 75,000kms, paid for itself already.

Now 2 months on and my turbo is now leaking oil everywhere and they are replacing it under warranty.

New Turbo is 4K and warranty was $1200 for extra 3 yr and 75,000kms, paid for itself already.

how many km's did your turbo go at. I am trying to work out if it is worth it for me. Warranty runs out in 3 months and have only 45000km on the clock.

how many km's did your turbo go at. I am trying to work out if it is worth it for me. Warranty runs out in 3 months and have only 45000km on the clock.

Mate at the rate you burn the kays I'd definitely go for the extended warranty.......the car will be 6 years old before it is out of warranty and you might be ready for a change by then.

The trouble is any mods will void it wont they? I have a power chip and in the near future will be looking at a safari snorkel, 160l fuel tank and 2" lift kit.

No manufacture can just wipe a warranty because of mods, they can make it harder to claim but they still have to prove the mod caused the damage.

Latest posts

Back