Sub Fuel tank on a D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vsteve01

Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone been able to fit a sub tank to the D22 or is the 125L replacement tank the only option.

If the spare is removed from underneath this spot seems like it could be utilised somehow.

Cheers
Steve

4WD systems do a 145L tank to replace the factory tank. Tanz is running one.

Not sure on where the spare is though.

Dave.

might try and get a custom made sub tank, just 50 ltrs or something to mount where the spare goes. that not a bad idea

I found this mob which seems to think they can fit one Dolium Pty Ltd wonder if they can do something similar as the D40. With the universal one are they talking about putting it in the tub?

As Dave said I have the 145l tank I bought from him 2ndhand last year.

It fits up in replacement of the original tank, brackets were a bit dodgy and needed a little rework, it hangs fractionally lower than the chassis rails, but doesn't invade on the spare wheel area at all.

I've thought about making a rear spare wheel carrier, and then possibly utilising the spare wheel area for a water tank. (oh, and I hadn't realised it was a 145l tank until recently when Dave mentioned it, as the original fuel gauge isn't accurate anymore. I might keep pushing that extra 100km on this tank just to make sure!:big_smile:)

Tanz how many km's do you get out of a tank before you fill up.

I usually take my 125L to 1000-1100km's when the fuel light comes on.

Dave.

Dave,

The most fuel I've ever put in it is 123l, and thought jeez i was cutting it fine there! I still am yet to run the tank from full to empty without towing the car trailer at some stage of the cycle, but fuel economy is a little worse than what you get. I believe this is mainly due to the poorer quality Diesel we have up here, and my belief was supported the other day whilst servicing a D22 from the High country, and he'd commented that he also noticed once he hit Qld he was getting 50km less per tank. Of course the other contributing factor will be the warmer air here in the tropics.

Fuel consumption averages 15l per 100km when towing (got it down to 12.5 once on a trip North to Cardwell where the roads are pretty flat), 12l per 100km around town, and 10l every 100km unladen.

Sorry vsteve01, for taking this off topic.

Cheers mate.

The most I have put in mine would be 118L of diesel. I thought I was gonna run out but still had 7L reserve.

Dave.

Sorry vsteve01, for taking this off topic.

No problems, still an interesting read.

Was in at opposite lock the other day and he made a good point. I have a need for more fuel for a simpson crossing in a couple of months, but money's tight. it's going to be $1400 for a 145l tank and I'm still probably going to have to carry extra just in case. If I get a 130L steal tank Dual Cab Ute Fuel Tank 130Lt - Dolium Pty Ltd for $1100 to put in the tray, I should have plenty to over and part the way home too.

Any thoughts on doing it this way. Obviously I'll loose the carrying space, but I reckon I would anyway haven't to carry the jerry's. I guess the Jerry's a still cheaper as they are $30 for 20l from autobarn (unless I read the price wrong).

So many options :D

I have the 125L tank and would also like to add that is very tuff!! Came down on it hard and I thought I had ruptured it, but turns out it just left a small dent.

I wanted a long range tank before I did the Simpson crossing but I couldn't afford it. I will at some stage though. I got by quite well on the three 20 litre Jerry Cans I took. (I took 60 litres diesel and 60 litres water. For info, they will fit between the wheel arches right behind the cab leaving plenty of space) I filled up at Oodnadatta and then I stuck a 20 litre in it on the way across for safe keeping. The low fuel light came on at Birdsville which means I probably had 10litres left. I emptied the rest in at Birdsville to reduce the amount I had to pay over $2.20 per litre for!

I wanted a long range tank before I did the Simpson crossing but I couldn't afford it. I will at some stage though. I got by quite well on the three 20 litre Jerry Cans I took. (I took 60 litres diesel and 60 litres water. For info, they will fit between the wheel arches right behind the cab leaving plenty of space) I filled up at Oodnadatta and then I stuck a 20 litre in it on the way across for safe keeping. The low fuel light came on at Birdsville which means I probably had 10litres left. I emptied the rest in at Birdsville to reduce the amount I had to pay over $2.20 per litre for!

Good stuff. That's what I wanted to hear. I think the trip organiser is just being cautious with his range estimates incase we get nearly to birdville and have to turn back for whatever reason. As i've never been north of the flinders I don't know what to expect :confused:

doesn't hurt to be a bit over cautious. we mapped out all the possibilities for crossings and used the info you get in the desert parks pass book and went from there. worked my fuel estimations on 10 litres per 100 kay and added some fat.
BTW: If you stay at Dalhousie springs, make sure you have your parks pass in the window and don't feed the dingo's. the park ranger comes around and drills everyone at the camp. enjoy the trip. I had a ball

Good stuff. That's what I wanted to hear. I think the trip organiser is just being cautious with his range estimates incase we get nearly to birdville and have to turn back for whatever reason. As i've never been north of the flinders I don't know what to expect :confused:

Oh, don't forget you have a fuel option at Mt Dare as well. if you turn off and go for a wander you can fill up there and probably not touch your your Jerry cans..
I pitied the petrol 80 cruiser owner I travelled with. he was stressing about fuel the whole trip. Diesel for the win

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back