YD25 vs ZD30?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy260587

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Im looking at selling my R50 pathfinder (VG33E engine) and upgrading to a Navara as i need more storage space in the back and would like to move to a manual diesel.

Im new to these forums, but have been reading ALOT of posts concerning issues with both the YD25 and ZD30 navara engines, im not sure which direction to go!

From what i can gather, It seems like the ZD30 has alot of mods (i.e EGR, butterfly, catch can, pyro gauge, boost controller, intercooler etc...) that need to be made to make it stable, and the YD25 needs a few mods (EGR, catch can, replacement bolts) but will still blow massive plumes of black smoke. Im not sure whether i can trust either engine if the issues are as common as they sound.

Can anyone please give me their 2 cents on what they think is the superior model? And what year if possible?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum.

I can really only speak for the ZD30, I would say they need all those things mentioned.

A catch can stop oil going into the intake, the EGR being blocked is to stop crap going into the motor.

The intercooler isn't needed but helps.

All the thing mentioned are being done on Hilux's, Triton's etc.

The emission laws are killing the motors earlier.

A turbo timer is handy to.

Zd30 I have. I like it, but as you said. A few $$$ are needed to make engine last longer. Yd25 I'm not sure.

I've driven both there's really nothing in it performance wise.

Reliability wise I think the navara version of the ZD30 is really starting to prove itself.

The aust version of the YD25 hasn't been around long enough to prove itself, which cant be helped.

IMO, The ZD30 is more "truck" diesel like to drive the YD25 fells like driving my misses CR 1.6L diesel in the i30 which is nice around town

I was under the impression the the black plumes of some are injector relates and is confined to the Thai built d22s???

In the end they both cost about the same, just but the best car and don't worry about what engine it has.

You might decide to stick to Jap built utes only for that extra piece of mind.

My experience is the ZD30(CRD) has better low down torque, far more suited to offroad and towing. The YD25 has fantastic mid/top range power,which is perfect for touring and daily driving.

My experience is the ZD30(CRD) has better low down torque, far more suited to offroad and towing. The YD25 has fantastic mid/top range power,which is perfect for touring and daily driving.

What I said, but said a hell of a lot better! cheers KingCab

Latest posts

Back