Clutch Replacement (SMF or DMF)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluessv

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Vehicle is a 2010 Navara D40 ST Dual Cab (2.5ltr Turbo Diesel)

As many of you have experienced, my Navara D40 clutch was about as strong as my girlfriends hair tie from factory. I've only got 3500kms on the clock and already having issues with rattles from flywheel, slipping, etc.

I have taken it back to Nissan and had a poor response...but that's not to say they won't look after me once I start pushing up on the issue.

However, do I really want to replace the clutch with a factory clutch that is going to have the same poor quality as the one that came with the vehicle??

Secondly, after researching aftermarket, there are several out there that do Heavy Duty applications such as Exedy and Extremeclutch. Both offer a clutch kit with the option of a Single Mass Flywheel (SMF) or a Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF). Most people I have read about are replacing their clutchs with a SMF however I'm starting to read info on forums about the SMF adversely affecting driveability and making the vehicle quite noisy and rattly.

Does anyone know whether Nissan has upgraded their clutchs so if I were to go for a factory repair, would it be stronger than what I originally have?

For those that have gone aftermarket, what experiences have you had with the SMF or DMF replacements??

hey ive gone to a single mass flywheel, its a little more how u going if the engine is cold, but after that she is great

07 D40 with a 100k kms. Time for a new excedy SMF clutch. Has anyone get any mechanics that they can recommended for the this job in the Sydney region?

Price so far is $3200 (parts and labour)

Hey guys,

As many of you have experienced, my Navara D40 clutch was about as strong as my girlfriends hair tie from factory. I've only got 3500kms on the clock and already having issues with rattles from flywheel, slipping, etc.

I have taken it back to Nissan and had a poor response...but that's not to say they won't look after me once I start pushing up on the issue.

However, do I really want to replace the clutch with a factory clutch that is going to have the same poor quality as the one that came with the vehicle??

Secondly, after researching aftermarket, there are several out there that do Heavy Duty applications such as Exedy and Extremeclutch. Both offer a clutch kit with the option of a Single Mass Flywheel (SMF) or a Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF). Most people I have read about are replacing their clutchs with a SMF however I'm starting to read info on forums about the SMF adversely affecting driveability and making the vehicle quite noisy and rattly.

Does anyone know whether Nissan has upgraded their clutchs so if I were to go for a factory repair, would it be stronger than what I originally have?

For those that have gone aftermarket, what experiences have you had with the SMF or DMF replacements??

Hey buddy. I'm just wondering what did you choose among those options for the clutch kit that you've selected. Did still continue to go with SMF even it has some side effects or did you rather choose DMF? Or just have it repair with Nissan? As you know, my uncle is having some problems too so he is wanting to replace with a luk clutch kit but his not quite familiar with that so that's why he is considering those options you mentioned. Any inputs or opinions about those would be helpful.

Hey guys,

Hi mate. I was wondering what did you choose between those two options that you mentioned, did you go with a single mass flywheel or with the dual mass flywheel? As you know, one of my uncle was having an issue with his clutch and he was planning to replace it with a luk clutch kit but I'm kinda interested about the choices you have. Anyway, hoping you could share me your feedback if you happen to have one of those clutch and how was it.

Original clutch is still in it and still having same issues as mentioned earlier. The car is only a few weeks off it's 10,000km service and I'm going to have them look at it then. I have had a discusion about the clutch issue with the Warranty Manager. He confirmed that Nissan will basically not do a thing for me if the clutch packs it in. However, there is such thing as Collateral Damage. The Warranty Manager mentioned Nissan was having issues with the bearing in the transmission that seems to fail and take out the flywheel and clutch plate. The message he was trying to convey was once you suspect something, have them take a look at it before the entire clutch packs it in.

Sorry I can't help you with the aftermarket choice....but if it's worth anything, I intend to go with Extremeclutch. Mostly cause I've had discusions with them and I've also heard Exedy do the factory clutches which is what I'm trying to avoid in the first place.

Smf clutch

Just replaced the clutch in my 08 d40 from factory issue to a xtreem 4x4 hd SMF $2200 at Central Coast clutch and brake Gosford. I was worried about noise and vibration that I have read about but nothing, quite and no vibration :rock:

Xteem SMF 100000+ km no worries. Went up to 95 vis oil and quieter than ever. Was some rollover noise previously but nothing scary.

If you don't replace the factory one with a smf your wasting money.

Many mechanics won't put it back I'm because it's such a waste

I have a 4terrain SMF in mine 30k on it now and love it.
When mine was dieing at 60,000 I didn't bother with nissan and pissed it off quick smart.

+1300 for parts
$1100 labour
never have to worry again

If you don't replace the factory one with a smf your wasting money.

Many mechanics won't put it back I'm because it's such a waste

I have a 4terrain SMF in mine 30k on it now and love it.
When mine was dieing at 60,000 I didn't bother with nissan and pissed it off quick smart.

+1300 for parts
$1100 labour
never have to worry again

That's good news about your clutch woes being solved. I've been looking at either a D40 or D22 ( I like the D40 for the greater leg room in the back for the kids) but am a bit worried about all I've been reading about the DMF in the D40. When looking at a D40, I should be checking for a SMF upgrade you think? Also, did you get clutch fitted in Canberra?

Cheers

Last edited:
That's good news about your clutch woes being solved. I've been looking at either a D40 or D22 ( I like the D40 for the greater leg room in the back for the kids) but am a bit worried about all I've been reading about the DMF in the D40. When looking at a D40, I should be checking for a SMF upgrade you think? Also, did you get clutch fitted in Canberra?

Cheers

Thai build D40's after about Aug. 2011 have a SMF, stock. Better timing chain to I believe but a slightly less powerful donk.

No probs with cold gear changes although I do notice the change down to 5th when colder but nothing really. Only go next Vis up 95 instead of 85 I think it is.

there is a very good gearbox additive designed for better gear shifting , not sure on the brand name but i know the subura wrx guys use it and find it great in helping those harder shifts.

there is a very good gearbox additive designed for better gear shifting , not sure on the brand name but i know the subura wrx guys use it and find it great in helping those harder shifts.

I put that Nulon G70 (I think it's called) in it but with the 85 that did cut down rollover noise and the shifts are not to bad. May go go up to the 95 vis on the next change. Live in the northern tropics where it never gets that cold anyways.

I don't think any d40 does mate....

G'day mike, are you referring to the clutch? Although I have never inspected mine I'm quite sure it is SMF. Driven a couple of Spanish built D40's. Compared to mine, take up is different, slightly less vibration, no rollover noise at all which mine seem to have.

Latest posts

Back