Upgrade advice please... and thank you

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

W.O.M.B.A.T

Reaction score
New to this forum, have looked at anumber of threads but still would like to clarify and have some learned opions on the following thanks...

Navara D40 STX

1. Speed errors... yep... question though, can the kit KC5435 be used to solve the speedo error. If so does any one have any pics or basic location instructions on where and how to fit correctly ?
From what i understand the instrument cluster for the D40 is using the CAN bus for the speedo..

2. Suspension... What would you guys recommend air/leafs/springs upgrade. Used more as a work ute then off road with a load of around 300kg allways in the back. Want to raise the ride height a little. Brands/ recommendations.

3. Exhaust upgrade.. would you, could you, what to expect

4. Chips.. ??

Any feed back appreciuated.. thanks

:victory:

New to this forum, have looked at anumber of threads but still would like to clarify and have some learned opions on the following thanks...

Navara D40 STX

1. Speed errors... yep... question though, can the kit KC5435 be used to solve the speedo error. If so does any one have any pics or basic location instructions on where and how to fit correctly ?
From what i understand the instrument cluster for the D40 is using the CAN bus for the speedo..

2. Suspension... What would you guys recommend air/leafs/springs upgrade. Used more as a work ute then off road with a load of around 300kg allways in the back. Want to raise the ride height a little. Brands/ recommendations.

3. Exhaust upgrade.. would you, could you, what to expect

4. Chips.. ??

Any feed back appreciuated.. thanks

1. Speedo error i have never worried about as i usually have a gps going with the speed on it.
2. Suspension, i fitted 2' Old Man Emu package, leaf, springs and shockers. Best thing i ever did handling is 100% better
3. Exhaust is good as long as you do it with chip and snorkel. I believe you can get around 154 kw out of the combination. Thats nearly 20% more power and i believe the torque is around 10/15% better. I will be doing this to mine as soon as budget allows me to.

Hope that helps.

I have personaly never understood people having a problem with the speedo (no offence) I know mine is out because i can check it against the GPS, but its only a couple of km/h round town, maybe a few more on the highway. On the highway I just sit on 110km/h safe in the knowledge that I am actually doing somewhere just above 100.

I certainly wouldnt spend money to correct it. I would put that towards bigger tyres that will do the same job.

1. Speedo error i have never worried about as i usually have a gps going with the speed on it.
2. Suspension, i fitted 2' Old Man Emu package, leaf, springs and shockers. Best thing i ever did handling is 100% better
3. Exhaust is good as long as you do it with chip and snorkel. I believe you can get around 154 kw out of the combination. Thats nearly 20% more power and i believe the torque is around 10/15% better. I will be doing this to mine as soon as budget allows me to.

Hope that helps.

1. I too have now got over the speedo error. I use a GPS also and when I have the funds I'll get some 265/75s and that will fix the problem.
2. I am going to get the OME package fitted, again when funds are there.
3. Exhaust, chip and snorkel all ordered and being fitted next week. Hence the kitty is a little empty.

Bosshog

Firstly...
I have personaly never understood people having a problem with the speedo (no offence) I know mine is out because i can check it against the GPS, but its only a couple of km/h round town, maybe a few more on the highway. On the highway I just sit on 110km/h safe in the knowledge that I am actually doing somewhere just above 100.

I certainly wouldnt spend money to correct it. I would put that towards bigger tyres that will do the same job.
I hope that you are not sitting in the right hand lane on the freeway doing the 110 with a trail of traffic behind you because you believe you are doing 110 but really only doing 100...

:truck:

This is my 5th car (not to mention the 3 different one's I drove when I lived at home many moons ago) and none of them have ever had such a variance in the speedo, i think that it is outrageous for a new car to have such an error.

I am involved with intergrating, installing, designing, and programming of industrial control systems over numerous industries ie gas, water, manufacturing, rail, food, metal, power etc bascially everything that you would come in contact with day to day and take for granted that it will work and you expect it to work. Another more relevent example, do you want to get the 80ltrs of petrol that you paid for from the bowser or are would you be happy only getting the 72 ltrs, yet oay for 80. This is illegal and comes under the weight and mesures law... so why does this not apply to supplying a new car with an accurate speedo ? 10% is riduclous.

My point being is that it is a simple scaling fucntion to adjust the pulse ratio from the wheel sensor for one, and i find it ridiculous that they cannot do it, or have the facility to do it via there diagnositic / calibration tools.

Secondly, why did not Nissan provide me with the correct tyre size in the first place so the error was not there. (Well actually thay did, the specs outline a 255/70R16)

Regarding the GPS, I do not believe that I should have to rely on the GPS to give me the speed, although it is a good check. My Navman S80 has an inherrent rebooting problem and considering that the company i work for has three and they all do it, albiet to differing degrees this pi$$es me off also.

:rap:
:rant off:

Peter70...
Regards the OME package, thanks for the advice, I can easily get to the OME locations, is this a standard package or are there specific bits that you got, ie which ones and rough cost if not to rude to ask thanks....

Bosshog
Exhaust, chip and snorkel all ordered and being fitted next week. Hence the kitty is a little empty. Can you recommmend where from and rough cost if not to rude to ask thanks....

What size exhaust ? 2" or 3"
Also why do you need to upgrade to a snorkel, pardon my ignorance.

Thanks for the tips...

Bosshog
Exhaust, chip and snorkel all ordered and being fitted next week. Hence the kitty is a little empty. Can you recommmend where from and rough cost if not to rude to ask thanks....

What size exhaust ? 2" or 3"
Also why do you need to upgrade to a snorkel, pardon my ignorance.

The exhaust is 3" stainless steel from the DPF (diesel particulate filter) back. The addition of the DPF to comply with Euro 4 emissions makes it difficult to modify forward of it. I am getting from D&T Performance (:: D&T Performance Exhaust Centre ::) as they fitted the headers and exhaust to my last ute (BF falcon). Cost is $1050 with 10 year warranty. Being fitted Monday.

The Chip is a DP Chip $1340 delivered. Power up from 126KW (they used to be 128KW until they fitted the DPF) to 146KW or there abouts.

Snorkel being fitted for two reason - 1. I do intend to take the vehicle offroad. 2. Cleaner air up top and some argue you get a ramming effect thus more air and cleaner too. Factory Nissan snorkel fitted tomorrow $635. Went with them as it was price competitive and Nissan agreed to include it as part of the factory warranty as Ute only travel 3000 kms.

Bosshog

Firstly...

I hope that you are not sitting in the right hand lane on the freeway doing the 110 with a trail of traffic behind you because you believe you are doing 110 but really only doing 100...

Regardless of what speed I think I am doing if someone comes up behind me in the right lane I move over ;)

I have ridden bikes for the last 10 years or so and the speedo's on them are out far more than our Navara's, I guess its to make the boy wonders think their bike is faster than it actually is lol. My race bikes speedo was about 20 or 30km/h out at the mid 200km/h range at Queensland raceway. Looked great on the video's though lol.

For memory my suspension kit was around 1450 as i do have an insider at ARB.
As for the snorkel it will definately act as a cold air intake.

I would change your tyres to 265/75, that will fix the speedo and give you some lift. Suspension is a very personal thing and could be debated on forever, personally I would buy shocks than can be rebuilt , (radflos or bilsteins etc), I f your not going to put on bullbar/winch you could go for a spacer kit on the front, and just get heavier rears springs, could save you some cash for the exhaust.

I would change your tyres to 265/75, that will fix the speedo and give you some lift. Suspension is a very personal thing and could be debated on forever, personally I would buy shocks than can be rebuilt , (radflos or bilsteins etc), I f your not going to put on bullbar/winch you could go for a spacer kit on the front, and just get heavier rears springs, could save you some cash for the exhaust.

Considered spacers myself before doing some research and found they weren't working to well on the D40. I believe there was an issue of bending, cant remeber what though.
Can i ask why you would buy shocks that can be rebuilt?

Regardless of what speed I think I am doing if someone comes up behind me in the right lane I move over ;)
You must of been taught old school.. like me ;)

Will probably change the tyres to larger ones once I wear the treads down on these and have the cash... Only got 2400k on the clock...

Have most of you upgraded the dusty brake system ? Just changed the pads to bendix or the rotors as well ?

Thanks for all the other feed back guys.

I haven't done the rotors and pads (yet), but it does appear they wear quickly.

My reading on the subject suggests most go for DBA rotors and Bendix pads.

:)

Latest posts

Back