Front & Rear diff locks

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance S

Reaction score
Hi guys, i have checked thru the archives about all the different kinds of diff locks and i think i have come to decision on which way to go...............
I am leaning towards an ARB air locker on the rear and lokka on the front,
has anyone have this set up or know of anyone

Cheers,

Lance

i would go airlocker in the rear. some say the lsd is faily good but remeber once a wheel lifts its all over unless you have 100% locked. i would go the airlocker and see how you go if. i am a little worryed about locking the front, i would think cvs would be more prone to break.

i kinda agree with scotty, lokka up front will help with the IFS lifting the wheels all the time. As for the rear i think the places you can't get with front lokka+LSD are places the Navara really isn't up to it. Its not really built as strong as say a patrol or similar, just my view. The LSD in the navara is pretty nice, and those air locker aren't cheap.

Depends what you want it for, an air locker will leave any LSD for dead. It is definite. Just remember though that you have an open diff whenever the locker is off. That can be a pain in the bum.

i would think an open diff would be fine onroad after all your not putting out big power and traction shouldnt be an issue even in the wet

Its up to you Brendan.It can be done and if you want to do it go for it.
Its just my opinion and would rather the LSD.Like Al said if you can't get up with a front locka in its probably abit hard for the Nav.Go a front locka and a winch

i would think an open diff would be fine onroad after all your not putting out big power and traction shouldnt be an issue even in the wet

Yeah it's no fun but, its a ute so it lifts a leg and peglegs so you can't go around a corner any way other than... slow.

Very safe though

I don't miss the LSD at all on the road to be honest, the BFG's grip really well but with the LSD in it used to get quite skaty In the wet out of tight corners once the turbo came on song, it's far safer and more predictable now. The only place i miss it is offroad where you have to put the locked on some places that the LSD would have got through ok. I haven't had it on sand yet, but I do reckon the LSD would have the advantage here.

Thanks guys, i rang a few joints today including arb, there all around the same price of about $2000 with compressor. 4wd systems can send a front lokka to my door for $570. As Brendan said, the front lokka might be suspect to the cv's, but i suppose if you take it nice and easy hopefully it won't be an issue!!!!!!!!!!!
Just to let everyone know that there is NO Air locker for the front in the near future as it has been mentioned a couple of times in the past here.
I thought all ARB stores would price the same, there was a difference of $150 between 2 stores, but some 4wd stores were around the 2k.

Cheers
Lance

its just my opinion. i wouldnt be going a front locker first. a rear locker will get you most places anyway. if you blow a cv and your in the middle of no where 2wd with a locker should get you out.

I have a front lokka in my d22 navara and i would have to say it has to be the best mod i have done so far!!!
I havent had a section that the navara hasnt gotten through (except deep mud) and i have tried some pretty good tracks!! I pesonally think the traction of just the one locker is perfect for the nav and if i was to try any harder tracks i think the traction i have would be fine, but my approach, departure and roll over angles are no where near good enough to go further.
As for CV's i have had my locker in for just over 50000kms and i have not broke one CV (touch wood) Once you get the locker in you can just take it so much easier on the tracks because of the added traction.
Save ya money and stick with a lokka in the front, then add some good protection e.g a rear bar, sump/tranny guard and some sliders because you will need them!!
Have fun

Go the Airlocker in the rear first. Most of your weight when climbing is on the back wheels and when locked the rear wheels will push you up almost anything. The front will jump and put extra stress on a front locked axle placing CV's at risk of failure. I wouldn't feel safe driving corrigated roads at 80Kph in 4H with a front lokka either and opening up the rear diff with an Airlocker improves on road manners (it's a ute not a drifter!!!). The front lokka will give you heaps more traction offroad on a budjet but ask yourself why they arn't used in the competition sceen. If you can afford to the rear Airlocker is the better option for the most traction and all round driveability. If you want the ultimate traction then put the VG3.0 front diff in with an Airlocker too.

Last edited:
i'm on the lokka side and pretty much solidly planted there but each to his own. Can't see the point of 4H on dirt roads, never felt like i needed it. As for comp use well thats really not relevent as the Nav is never gonna go there (unless you hybrid it with something else like joshy) and most drivers won't remember ever turning the front off anyway. a locked diff is a locked diff, auto or air. There are comp trucks with them but i agree air lockers are well and trully favoured. oh and everyone says you'll break more CVs but everyone that i have talked to with one say they don't, and they are doing much harder tracks then they were before.

Last edited:
With a front lokka you're less likely to break CVs, because the wheels will not 'spin up' if they lift off the ground.

To each and their own they say, for the price of a air locker i would be able to get atleast a front lokka and either a set of sliders or rear bar, but thats me, i dont like bending panels !! and you will once u get a locker and you start trying those harder tracks.

Re: Front & Rear diff locks

Ide go the rear locker, I have an ARB Airlocker in the rear of my D22 and as it's a daily driver for the misses, it used to get sideways around roundabouts in the wet traveling to work everyday, so now with the airlocker it doesn't do it anymore and on the weekends we do a lot of very soft sand driving and camping on the beach and with the rear locked she just pushes you through a lot easier, great compromise for us. And an onboard compressor is a must for 4 wheel driving and camping

Hi Guys
Just reading all the comments on these lockers I am considering putting some on and not sure if to put them on the front or rear and later fit the other if finances allow, what do you think would be best initialy?

Ive got a front locker and seriously that is all you need. As of yet i havent had troubles with traction loss in the rear. Its more traction in all 4 wheels from trying to go on such big tracks.

Latest posts

Back