pre cleaner or no pre cleaner?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussiestr

Reaction score
hi guys, I am currently looking at putting a snorkel on my 05 st-r diesel i have gone through old posts/threads trying to determine what would be the best choice. after consulting arb,tjm and nissan i have come to the conclusion that i am going to with the airtec/nissan one through nizzbits. but according to them they only have the model for the 2.5yd. however upon contacting garry they have a snorkel for the zd30 for $360 which iam going to buy.

But here's my problem, some of you have done the 2.5 snorkel on your zd30 with the intake mod from the 2.5engine and do away with the pre cleaner...is this a restrictive device? is worth taking it out if your not going to bother with dual batteries? Has anyone got the nissan snorkel on the zd30 and left the pre cleaner? this is what i was going to do, but if there is slight performance gains to be made by taking taking out the pre cleaner i may go with the 2.5yd snorkel and get an intake tube of the 2.5...any feedback would be most helpful! :big_smile:

I think the main thing to be gained from using the 2.5L snorkle on the 3.0L is that it allows you to fit a battery behind the headlight and one against the firewall. I would doubt that the precleaner in the zd30 would be restrictive as it works more on centrifugal movement dropping larger particles before entering the filter but I would question if this would still occour with the air ram effect that comes with a snorkle anyhow. The safari snorkle for the zd30 does away with the precleaner but I wouldn't say I noticed any gain in power when fitted. If I was going to get a nissan snorkle I would consider the 2.5L path just to have the option of 2 extra batteries.

cheers

Once you take the precleaner out you'll say, WOW how does air get through there!

Really tight small bends... I took mine out when i put my snorkel on... Cant really tell you if it made much difference because i done Snorkel, exhaust at the same time... Seems to breathe really well and can hear the snorkel whistling when you get into her...

Im all for getting rid of the pre-cleaner, that allowed me to move the airbox down a little and fit a catch-can near the fuel filter with plenty of room about...

One less thing to seal up also I guess. I put mine on before their was talk about using the 2.5 on the 3.0 and am wondering if you can buy ust the part needed to change pipework. I wouldn't bother buying the whole kit but i would consider getting just the new pipe. My vote goes for ditching the precleaner.

Go the YD25 Snorkel.

You will need to get another piece on intake off Garry to.

It frees up the engine bay, seals better.

Hey mate.
I did the zd30 one and put in a air filter from a 80 series cruiser the 1hz motor it made more space and added i little more power highly recommended, i am putting in a duel battery where the old filter used to be.
hope this helps
Luke

Good stuff.

My brother did mine as I did him a deal.

I wired up a few power points and lights and he did the snorkel.

Hi All,

Ok can some one throw up some Pics of the precleaner.

As I am now wondering is it worth getting rid of the pre cleaner.

Can somebody show us a picture of the zd30 without the pre claner set up . PPPLLLLLEEEAASSSE.

This was great info guys. I was going to ask the same thing. I have a ZD30 Navara and recently put a Gibson snorkel on and I thought what was the point of putting on a device that lets air flow into the motor better just to have it restricted by the precleaner.

So I think I will get rid of it and just get some flexi pipe and connect the snorkel to the air filter. That should work. Shouldn't it?

I wanted to get rid of the precleaner but having an Airtec snorkel couldn't use the YD25 parts.

I bought a 80mm downpipe elbow at Bunnings and heated it up with a heatgun and them shaped it to fit directly onto the aircleaner housing.

One new hole in the inner guard and a short piece of flexi duct and bobs your uncle.

Attachments

• IMG_6314-1.jpg
    IMG_6314-1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_6315 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_6315 - Copy.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 142
I wanted to get rid of the precleaner but having an Airtec snorkel couldn't use the YD25 parts.

I bought a 80mm downpipe elbow at Bunnings and heated it up with a heatgun and them shaped it to fit directly onto the aircleaner housing.

One new hole in the inner guard and a short piece of flexi duct and bobs your uncle.

I thought Daves snorkel was an Airtech from the post above. But are you saying the YD25 part does not fit?

I have the full YD25 snorkel.

I am assuming he has the ZD30 snorkel as Airtec and Nissan dont sell the parts seperately.

I have the ZD30 Airtech snorkel as well. So can I just buy a piece to fit the YD25 that will get rid of the pre-cleaner?

Latest posts

Back