New exhaust time

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merchant

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently trialling a cheap German Ebay chip and waiting to get the car onto a dyno machine to have it tested. In the meantime i'm considering getting a better exhaust to go with the chip and eventually will piss the DPF off and replace it with a Chip-it race pipe once the car warranty runs out. My problem is that I am unsure whether to go for a 2.5" or 3" exhaust. There are a couple of companies around that offer both for about $800-900 delivered.

I plan on doing a bit more research into what systems these guys offer before buying but i think size is a good starting point.

Interested in your comments.

I got mine from scotts rods at ipswich, they advertise on ebay. Its a 3" full mandrel bent system from the turbo back with a highflow cat and although marginally louder than stock if you didnt own a navara you wouldnt know it wasnt standard its that quiet. Which was exactly what I was after, exhaust drone on a long trip or on the beach would have annoyed the hell out of me.

Overall very happy with the performance, in high 4 on the beach in second gear in the soft stuff you can now let the car drop back to idle then accelerate and it will pull itself through which it never used to be able to do. It will even do most things in third now.

Out of interest which chip did you go for and how are you finding it?

I got mine from scotts rods at ipswich, they advertise on ebay. Its a 3" full mandrel bent system from the turbo back with a highflow cat and although marginally louder than stock if you didnt own a navara you wouldnt know it wasnt standard its that quiet. Which was exactly what I was after, exhaust drone on a long trip or on the beach would have annoyed the hell out of me.

Overall very happy with the performance, in high 4 on the beach in second gear in the soft stuff you can now let the car drop back to idle then accelerate and it will pull itself through which it never used to be able to do. It will even do most things in third now.

Out of interest which chip did you go for and how are you finding it?

I've been looking at the Scotts Rod listing. Cheap enough. Do you know what they are made from eg. mild steel, aluminised steel??

I have an auto so only looking from the DPF back. I'm not looking for anything louder than what i have but i'll live with something that is slightly nosier. My old man has a very expensive 3" on his patrol and it sounds like a tractor.

I went for a No-Limit power chip. The misses wouldn't allow me to get a Chip-It chip at the time, so i went for the cheapy just to see how they went. The power gain is fantastic but i think fuel usage is up. I'm going to get it on a dyno machine within the month to have it tuned for everyday driving, 4WDing and towing. Will report the findings as soon as i get them.

Is it illegal in Australia to have a catless exhaust? If it isn't and you plan on getting a 3" straight through system it will be noisy and yes there will be droning at low revs. Quite a bit more vibration as well. That's what I have in mine. I plan to put the downpipe and cat back in just to get rid of that annoying noise at 1,500RPM.

Im getting an exhaust put on mine from turbo back 3" straight through no car just a straight through mufler wich gets rid of the drone in stainleas steel for 1100

The scotts rods one is aluminized steel which is just mild steel with a coating which seems to be holding up quite well so far.

The chip sounds good. I've been toying with the idea of one of the cheaper ones, as after alot of research ive noticed even alot of the dearer ones all do the same thing and only modify the pump pressure. The Chip it in my opinion would be the pick if money alowed.

Since the exhaust though I'm more than happy with the performance so there are other things I would like to do before the chip now.

The scotts rods one is aluminized steel which is just mild steel with a coating which seems to be holding up quite well so far.

The chip sounds good. I've been toying with the idea of one of the cheaper ones, as after alot of research ive noticed even alot of the dearer ones all do the same thing and only modify the pump pressure. The Chip it in my opinion would be the pick if money alowed.

Since the exhaust though I'm more than happy with the performance so there are other things I would like to do before the chip now.

It cost me $140 delivered and I couldn't fault the communication from the supplier. I did the research also and came to the same conclusion. There is a thread in here somewhere that say's the components used in these chips is worth about $30. I can't see why they cost upwards of $1600.

I think i'm happy with the chip. It's going to cost me about $200 for a couple of hours on the dyno so if it works and tuned at $340 i can't complain. If it doesn't work i'll go see Chip-It.

Sounds good mate, could you possibly pm me the details of where you got it or stick them in here? might have to give it a go for that price.

Hi Merchant, I'm keen to see your results after the Dyno mate.
I also bought this cheapo chip haha! My results were as follows:
It was good at start.. it sure did give it quick response and kick but like you I did notice it go through juice quick!
I only had it on for 3 days though as one day while driving home from work the engine (or something in the engine bay) began to make a rattle type noise!
It got worse and worse at every light. From take off to 70 km/h it was constant.
I took the chip out as soon as i got home and the noise was gone.
I've been in communication with the german mod (and i agree with you they are good for support).
So they have given me a list of tests to do on in regards to the chip (I'm yet to do them) so I'm not sure if it was my settings or I just got a faulty one.

I guess with the right tuning they would be ok.. I'm scared to put mine back in but maybe after the test I will see if I can get better results.

Hi Merchant, I'm keen to see your results after the Dyno mate.
I also bought this cheapo chip haha! My results were as follows:
It was good at start.. it sure did give it quick response and kick but like you I did notice it go through juice quick!
I only had it on for 3 days though as one day while driving home from work the engine (or something in the engine bay) began to make a rattle type noise!
It got worse and worse at every light. From take off to 70 km/h it was constant.
I took the chip out as soon as i got home and the noise was gone.
I've been in communication with the german mod (and i agree with you they are good for support).
So they have given me a list of tests to do on in regards to the chip (I'm yet to do them) so I'm not sure if it was my settings or I just got a faulty one.

I guess with the right tuning they would be ok.. I'm scared to put mine back in but maybe after the test I will see if I can get better results.

I'm unsure if the chip can do any damage as such. All it really does is fool the ECU into providing more fuel at a different time. The same thing the $1400 chips do. The fuel rail pressure probably increases but that would be only slightly.

What setting did you have it on? I originally had mine of setting eight but was using far too much fuel so dropped it back to setting 7 and it seems ok. May still drop it back another setting yet. The dyno blokes said that as a rule of thumb, drop it back 2 settings for towing.

Lwt me know how you get on and i'll keep you informed of the dyno results when i get around to it.

I'm unsure if the chip can do any damage as such. All it really does is fool the ECU into providing more fuel at a different time. The same thing the $1400 chips do. The fuel rail pressure probably increases but that would be only slightly.

What setting did you have it on? I originally had mine of setting eight but was using far too much fuel so dropped it back to setting 7 and it seems ok. May still drop it back another setting yet. The dyno blokes said that as a rule of thumb, drop it back 2 settings for towing.

Lwt me know how you get on and i'll keep you informed of the dyno results when i get around to it.

Yeah I'm not sure what the deal was with mine.
I didn't move the main jumpers. I only put the little jumpers on the side to "little more power".
Anyway the guy asked me to open it up and report what the leds look like when the engine is on and when idling at 3000rpm.
I'l go do tinker with it now and probably go back some setting as you suggest.

I'm planning to get an exhaust in the future too so this cheapo chip was more of a curiosity. It did OK and I guess if I it stables out I probably leave it.

Back