No acceleration if left to idle

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2006 STX D40 Diesel and it has developed a strange problem. If I start it and leave it idling for more than about 30 seconds it has no acceleration when I try and drive away. It has also happened a couple of times when I have been sitting at the lights after I may have been only driving for a few minutes. It is like it goes into a "LIMP HOME MODE" or something. If I turn the ignition off and back on again all is ok and drives normally. It has no power at all when this happens but as soon as I turn the ignition off and on again it clears itself. Any help would be appreciated.

2006 STX Navara Black 110Klms

It could be a sticky actuator on the turbo as well. You should be able to see it moving while the vehicle is idling - it's constantly in motion, about 3-5mm of vertical travel.

If the actuator is sticking, it could be the actuator arm itself that needs lubrication (try some silicone lube) or there's a sensor glitch that causing it.

When the vehicle is idling, it's getting a lot of air in but not using a lot of fuel (diesels don't have butterflies controlling the air intake). Any of the intake/exhaust sensors could be affected. The MAF sensor in the intake (between the air cleaner and the turbo) could have some dust/dirt in it, the O2 sensors in the exhaust could be slightly off-spec ... remember, at idle the O2 sensors are going to read a very lean (oxygen-rich) environment. Too off-spec and the ECU might decide something's wrong.

Have you done an EGR mod? There's a gold pipe coming around from the passenger side near the turbo, across the front of the engine to a widget that bolts into the intake manifold. That widget is the EGR valve. Undo the bolts retaining the gold pipe, extract the gasket carefully, then trace it out onto about 1mm thick stainless steel sheet (any stainless steel manufacturer should be able to give you some offcuts). Drill the two bolt holes, shape the outside and just forget to open the big hole in the middle. Use some Permatex Sensor-Safe Ultra Blue gasket cement when replacing it.

Guys thanks for that will check it out tomorrow. No mods have been done to the engine that I am aware of, I am the second owner and previous owner didmt mention it and he had everthing done written down with the vehicle. Willl let you know how I go, next service is due soon. Thanks

This problem sounds exactly like another thread on here....just can't seem to find it. The thread outlined the same problem and how the author went to Nissan and was diagnosed as needing a new fuel pump and rail. The author didn't agree with that assessment as the issue was intermitent.

After much investigation the issue turned out to be the fuel regulator and/or pressure sensor which are both independent parts on the fuel pump. You can source them from Denso if Nissan won't do them. The issue was something to do with the above mentioned parts sending the wrong signal to the ECM (either too high pressure of too low). The author changed out the parts and the car hasn't missed a beat since.

You should also try a full reset (disconnect the battery and pump the brakes for 10 secs) if you have had a fuel filter changed recently. Hope this helps...and if anyone else can find the post I'm referring to all the info is in there.

Latest posts

Back