1st gear grinding sound on take off - 06' D40 RX TD

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgladwin

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have noticed a crunching sound coming from the gearbox of my Navara when I take off in 1st gear. It doesn't always happen say 1 in 20 take offs. Seems to be a little more noticeable when an a hill or a slight slope.
I spoke to my dad who owns a D22 and having a similar issue as me and he said a Nissan dealer in Adelaide who he gets his car serviced through told him to put in Castrol VMX 80 in the gearbox and Castrol LSX 90 in the diff.

Can anyone shed some light on what the problem might be and if changing to these oils may fix the problem I am having with the gearbox?

Cheers
Martin

Obviously first gear produces the most torque (of all the forward gears) and therefore the most stress inside the box. It's possible that there's an issue with that.

It could also be something to do with the synchro, although that usually manifests during a gear change, not a move off.

Try reversing up a hill and see if you can hear it. If you can hear it in reverse as well, there might be an input shaft issue (which could just be clutch/pressure plate/flywheel).

If you can't hear it in reverse, it could be the first gear not meshing properly, or has a bearing issue. Draining the oil will help there - get the gearbox warm and pull the plug, draining it into a container. Let the oil settle then slowly pour it out to another container, you're looking for metallic debris. Any that you find is probably off the 1st gear or perhaps its selector which might be catching somewhere.

The diff will also be strained, but there's another thing you can do there. If you don't notice the sound in second gear, get the vehicle onto a grassy surface where you can drive a fair bit in a straight line (eg football field - perhaps without anyone playing on it). Put the vehicle in low range, select SECOND gear and try taking off. Do you hear it now? Likely to be the diff, and not the gearbox. Possibly an issue with the LSD under high torque loads (2nd LO is down around 1st HI).

Again, you can drain your diff and look at the oil for metal debris.

Obviously first gear produces the most torque (of all the forward gears) and therefore the most stress inside the box. It's possible that there's an issue with that.

It could also be something to do with the synchro, although that usually manifests during a gear change, not a move off.

Try reversing up a hill and see if you can hear it. If you can hear it in reverse as well, there might be an input shaft issue (which could just be clutch/pressure plate/flywheel).

If you can't hear it in reverse, it could be the first gear not meshing properly, or has a bearing issue. Draining the oil will help there - get the gearbox warm and pull the plug, draining it into a container. Let the oil settle then slowly pour it out to another container, you're looking for metallic debris. Any that you find is probably off the 1st gear or perhaps its selector which might be catching somewhere.

The diff will also be strained, but there's another thing you can do there. If you don't notice the sound in second gear, get the vehicle onto a grassy surface where you can drive a fair bit in a straight line (eg football field - perhaps without anyone playing on it). Put the vehicle in low range, select SECOND gear and try taking off. Do you hear it now? Likely to be the diff, and not the gearbox. Possibly an issue with the LSD under high torque loads (2nd LO is down around 1st HI).

Again, you can drain your diff and look at the oil for metal debris.

Thanks for your detailed replay Tony.
I will try what you have said with both the gearbox and the diff.

I select first gear no worries it goes in without a scratch or grind.
I move off and almost instantly (when it does it....) it will grind for about 1 second. I put my foot on the clutch to stop it grinding and foot on brake to stop the vehicle. I then move off again no worries without ever pulling the gear shifter out of 1st. Does that explain it a little better??

Is there a measurement of exactly how much oil I need to put in the gearbox and diff? I have the DVD manual at home which I will look at, but if you know off hand that would be great.

Thanks for your help.

The 4WD Diesel uses 4.3 litres of gearbox oil, but the manual suggests to check the fill level with your finger in the side. The diff takes 2.01 litres and again, suggests checking with your finger in the hole at the rear.

I'd try the other things first, changing oils like that is a pain and if it's a diff problem you're just wasting good gearbox oil. See if it can be narrowed down a bit.

It doesn't sound like a metal chain being hauled across metal, does it? Could be a loose transfer chain? I didn't ask if it happened in just 4WD mode or both.

The 4WD Diesel uses 4.3 litres of gearbox oil, but the manual suggests to check the fill level with your finger in the side. The diff takes 2.01 litres and again, suggests checking with your finger in the hole at the rear.

I'd try the other things first, changing oils like that is a pain and if it's a diff problem you're just wasting good gearbox oil. See if it can be narrowed down a bit.

It doesn't sound like a metal chain being hauled across metal, does it? Could be a loose transfer chain? I didn't ask if it happened in just 4WD mode or both.

It definitely sounds like gears crunching and I have never noticed it in 4WD mode. I will try what you said first and then see how I go and report back.

Cheers

Back