Jon's D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon

Reaction score
Ok well some of you have probably seen it before but for the others here is my D22 Navara a couple of days after I bought it earlier this year. It's an 05 model with about 50k on the clock and it looked like it had never been offroad.

IMG_3817.sized.jpg

IMG_3816.sized.jpg

IMG_3814.sized.jpg

Shortly after I bought it I installed a Bogaard Turbo Timer which came off my old Ford Maverick.

IMG_3810.sized.jpg

IMG_3811.sized.jpg

Then I got myself one of these 8" battery trays from Piranha. I just installed a standard size battery and my redarc isolator from the Maverick. I wasn't sure if this was going to be sufficient for my power requirements but so far it is doing well. It is used to power a 300W inverter and my 40L engel fridge.

DSC01481.sized.jpg

DSC01482.sized.jpg

DSC01485.sized.jpg

DSC01486.sized.jpg

Next, I increased the height of the standard diff breathers, I also used a small T piece to connect the gearbox and transfer breathers.

DSC01484.sized.jpg

I ordered a snorkel from Nissan as they were the cheapest and in my opinion looked the best. Wasn't too difficult to install but I took my time as I didn't want to make any mistakes here. I had to elongate one of the mounting holes slightly to make it fit but it ended up fitting nice and snug.

A couple of expensive bits of plastic ready to be installed.

DSC01488.sized.jpg

Lining up the template

DSC01489.sized.jpg

The scary part!!

DSC01505.sized.jpg

Ready to install snorkel body

DSC01506.sized.jpg

After I finished hooking up my engel fridge I installed this override switch for the redarc. The reason I did this is firstly to jump start myself if I run the battery flat without the need to carry jumper cables. (has already come in handy) Secondly I can roughly monitor the condition of the start battery with the LED light. The light comes on when the start battery has reached 13.2V so therefore if it starts taking to long for the light to come on I know that there is either a problem with the alternator charging or the battery won't get over 13.2V because its on its way out. Not as good as a voltmeter but better than nothing.

DSC01525.sized.jpg

A couple of weeks ago a guy on a bike didn't stop when I was stationary at a pedestrian crossing and managed to clip one of my tail lights. I ended up buying a set of bling lights from ebay for the same price as one from Nissan. I had to modify the plug to make them fit but I quite like the look of it. Don't think it would suit the darker colour cars as much though.

IMG_0114.sized.jpg

IMG_0115.sized.jpg

Last week I managed to pick up a set of Patrol wheels on the cheap. Still running the standard Bridgestones but once they are worn out I will fit some mud tyres for an offroad set and save my highway tyres for the blacktop. My next job is to fit some flares of some sort as although its hard to tell from the pics they do stick out a bit more than standard.

IMG_0186.sized.jpg

IMG_0187.sized.jpg

IMG_0188.sized.jpg

On the list of things to do in the near future is an upgrade to the suspension, some decent tyres, upgrade the stereo, and a canvas canopy for the tray for camping. Its getting modified very slowly at the moment due to the purchase of a house and another restoration project but it will get there eventually. I hope to get to the cape next year with it so that's my main goal at the moment.

Thanks mate, I really like the look of yours too. Hopefully I'll get mine looking like it soon. That Ironman bar on yours definitely looks the goods, I like it a lot.

Every wheelin trip I go on someone always mentions how well the bar matches up with the car, the width of it is a spot on match with the original flares.

Did you fit it yourself? Any problems? My old man just fitted one to his prado and had to do a bit of modifying of the mounting plates. To make it fit he had to elongate all the holes as none of them lined up correctly. He wasn't happy at all with the way it went together as it took the better part of a full day to mount and then he found that the plastic override had a dent in it but the end result he says was worth it.

I got it fitted with the suspension, but the folks that did the fitting did a pretty rough job, the brackets Ironman supply for the D22 are average at best, they don't have any interlocking with the chassis rails so over time the bar just kept moving up and down on the bolts.

I've since had the bar off and welded extra plating above and below the chassis on the bar brackets, these now carry the weight of the bar, and the bolts just hold it on. Now it stays put when I give it a nudge while out wheeling, first time out I nearly pushed it up into the damn guards at the sides, it was at that point I realised the brackets needed to be sorted.

If you decide to get the Ironman bar down the track, allow for making your own brackets, or modifying theirs as your old man did.

Thanks mate, the snorkel was about $340 I think. It was a lot cheaper than all the aftermarket mobs. Plus I kind of like the fact it has a Nissan badge.

Yeah mate thats why I went the genuine. Give them a call and give it a go. Its not a hard job at all. Just take your time.

Latest posts

Back