Rear Leaves on DC w/steel tray

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maho

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I got a new ST dual cab w/steel tray about a month ago, and have since realised how flat the leaves in the rear, under the tray are. They are actually inverted slighty, with only 40-50mm (at best) to the rubber stops.

Is this normal with steel trays?
My (inexperienced) thoughts were that the stock leaves were suited to the lighter weight of the tub, and once the weight of the steel tray goes on there, the leaves are pushed to the max.

We recently hired a camper trailer, and with it fully loaded, and only a 100kgs or so in the tray, it was sagging alot.

Has anyone else had this experience? Whats the best way to increase the load carrying capacity in the tray and stop the sagging? Extra leaves? Suspension lift?

Any thoughts appreciated....

hi the dual cabs ute come with shit rear leaves is just the way thay are made mine ar flat and are on there way to be inverated aswell the best way to fix this is to get the rear reset and put an extra lef in give this bloke a ring from bairnsdale spring works 51525966 he can custon make a leave to what load carring capactiy u want or hight u wont drop shakles or what ever ur needs are he can do.

Hey Maho, i experienced the same when i put an aluminium tray and full height and length tool boxes on my D40, took it to pedders where they added 3 extra leaves per side, that was 12 months ago and they're starting to sag again. i think i'll look at air bags next.

I had the same changed rear springs & shocks + polly airbags all good now.
hardly ever need to put air in bags .

Hey Banga,

So even though you put 3 extra leaves in, they eventually sag do they? I thought they'd be able to hold up!

What do you guys think about putting springs/air bags under the tray?

Ive read somewhere else on here that some people reckon that because you go from rear leafs where there are 2 wide support points, too springs/airbags with one support point over the axel, that you create a pivot point.
Therefore you increase the rear overhang of the tray that is unsupported, and probably reduce the load capacity at the rear of the tray.

What do you think?

Ive read somewhere else on here that some people reckon that because you go from rear leafs where there are 2 wide support points, too springs/airbags with one support point over the axel, that you create a pivot point.
Therefore you increase the rear overhang of the tray that is unsupported, and probably reduce the load capacity at the rear of the tray.

What do you think?

It's more that the section of the chassis at the point above the axle where forces from airbags are grounded is not designed for that loading the way that the section is designed where the leaf hangers are.

I had inverted springs from dat dot.
Instead of resetting springs I just bought new ones from DObinsons they have tested there spring rate and I couldnt be happier with the ride.

The original rear springs in my 2007 STX dual cab went inverted in no time. I opted for Old Man Emu lift with 450KG constant load springs.
I broke a leaf in my first set and they too started to flatten out, so replaced them for the same as the ride was great. This time I added air bags which helped push the springs back the other way. These have now covered 200,000ks in a ute that is never unloaded weighing in at 2.9t.

My springs in my D40 RX were inverted in no time at all. So about 9 months after i got it - i put a 2" ironman HD onstant load kit in.

That kit raised the rear end 110mm from the inverted state it was in. I have not had any problems with the installed kit in the 9months i've had it.

i would def recomend doing replacement springs vrs added leaves in. It does not cost that much more in real terms.

Dont forget your existing springs are already overloaded and are inverted. The steel has memory (if my memory serves me correctly) and if your only putting a couple of new leaves in, those are the leave that are doing most of the work in trying to stop the whole leave set from going inverted again.

In my opinion, its better to start with a complete fresh set of leaves, and let them settle to the loaded state of the vehicle - so they settle evenly together.

My previous vehicle was a Falcon wagon. It rode really well - until i put the boat behind. I did have extra leaves installed on the wagon, and that experience was good. The difference between the wagon and the navara is - the wagon did not have a constant load. The navara does, it has a fair bit of gear in the drawer system and a waeco fridge etc and the roof top tent stays on all the time.

Latest posts

Back