Turbo leaking oil....

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matty

Reaction score
Hi all,

I noticed today that the was oil leaking from around the turbo, well it wasent actually dripping but the was oil on the underside of the induction side of the turbo. So i pulled the hoses of and seen there is oil in there, not heaps but the kind that where you can tell that its only been a drip at a time and the pressure has forced it to kind of smear on the pipe inside. Was wondering if any other guys have experienced this problem, because ive seen on other forums that it seems to be a bit of a common problem. any info would be great, Cheers

Matty

How would the pressure make it smear? Before you panic, is there anything to suggest that it's not just the crankcase ventilation residue?

Yep, all that I have seen leak oil. The dealer told me that this was normal (in that it happens to most of them) and there is no way to fix it. He said it was caused by high boost pressures, i'm not sure about the dealers opinion though.

How would the pressure make it smear? Before you panic, is there anything to suggest that it's not just the crankcase ventilation residue?

The smear is like when high velocity of air moving across a drop of oil sort of smears it on the inside of the hose. How would i tell if its the crankcase ventilation causing the residue in the pipe

The smear is like when high velocity of air moving across a drop of oil sort of smears it on the inside of the hose. How would i tell if its the crankcase ventilation causing the residue in the pipe

Does the mess start at the PCV hose on the inlet side of the turbo, or at the shaft of the turbo?

Does the mess start at the PCV hose on the inlet side of the turbo, or at the shaft of the turbo?

Not entirely sure what your asking there mate but the oil smear starts from the outlet of the turbo(induction side) and gets thinner up towards the manifold. Basically its throwing oil from the turbo up the pipes into the intake.

Fit a catch can.

do a search and you will find how to do it.

it will most likely be oil vapor from the rocker cover.

Mine did what you describe until I fitted a catch can.

Not entirely sure what your asking there mate but the oil smear starts from the outlet of the turbo(induction side) and gets thinner up towards the manifold. Basically its throwing oil from the turbo up the pipes into the intake.

So you've pulled the plumbing apart on the intake side of the turbo compressor and it's clean of oil? Do what Laith says and even if it does turn out to be a leaking turbo, you'll still have gained a catch can system.

firstly fit a catch can. these motors blow heaps of oil out the breather and into the intake which then ends up leaking out of all the inlet hoses.

Fit a catch can.

do a search and you will find how to do it.

it will most likely be oil vapor from the rocker cover.

Mine did what you describe until I fitted a catch can.

So you've pulled the plumbing apart on the intake side of the turbo compressor and it's clean of oil? Do what Laith says and even if it does turn out to be a leaking turbo, you'll still have gained a catch can system.

firstly fit a catch can. these motors blow heaps of oil out the breather and into the intake which then ends up leaking out of all the inlet hoses.

What they said.

Dave.

also, check the clamps on your hose's on the turbo are tight.
cause mine leaked a little bit it was more of a vapour spread and i tightened the clamps and it stoped.

the oil will make the inlet hoses leak even when they are tight. you can tighten the crap out of them but the best way to get them seal is to have them oil free.

also don't forget to clean all the oil of the inlet pipes when you fit the catch can. you will have to take the joins out and give them a clean.

Yeah i had the same thing happen. Turns out that the hose clamp that was on there was to small. Impossible to tighten so i replaced it with a bigger one.

Hasnt leaked since....

i finally got around to fitting a oil catch can the other week, looks like its fixed the problem. must of just been the breather (blow by) causing the oil leakage

Latest posts

Back