Help! D22 clutch issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STRbutts

Reaction score
Hi All, got another clutch question... took the Nav for a drive on the weekend and it was the first time I'd driven it in a few weeks as it is currently in daily use by the better half. first thing i noticed backing out the driveway was the clutch pedal felt significantly graunchy and harder to depress than normal. there was also a creaking noise to go with it sometimes. jumped underneath it and had the wife depress the clutch whist I was under the gearbox and the noise was coming from the fork. I put a dob of grease where the slave pushrod contacts the fork in case that's what the noise was but still there. Now I'm worried the fingers on the clutch plate might be on their way out? or could it be some way the fork pivot point could bind? Anyone else had similar probs with their D22? will be heading to the dealership today but always take their opinions with a grain of salt. If it is the clutch itself, they may classify it as an expendable item and try to charge me. vehicle only has shy of 36k on the clock. I am easy on clutches and have had other vehicles retain their original clutch for well past 200k. any thoughts appreciated...Butts

Mine had a similar noise after a river crossing about 40,000km's ago then it went after everything dried out.

I got 120,000km's on mine and clutch is showing no signs of wearing out yet.

Dave.

My Nav had a noisy clutch fork from the day I bought it to the day I sold it, I just got used to the noise rather than worrying about it.:dontknow:

Well that's positive. thanks guys. Least I know I'm not Robinson Crusoe. I'll have to sort a fix out though. Wife drives it and her knees are a bit crook. generally won't drive a manual but the Nav's clutch was ok for her. nice and light, no complaints. if it gets harder for her to push the pedal, the complaints will start coming thick and fast. The rubber boot around the fork seems easy enough to get out. just don't want to go spraying some lubricate around willy nilly that may taint the clutch plate. supposed to take it to the dealership next week. I think I'd rather them sort something out so if it does get worse then they can't say I let it go for too long and it's my problem. Warranty has to be good for something...

mine has the same kind of noise, and so did a mate's,
he took the rubber cover where the clutch goes to and put greese in there and it stopped.

mine has the same kind of noise, and so did a mate's,
he took the rubber cover where the clutch goes to and put greese in there and it stopped.

Grease? On the fork pivot?
I better get back under there and have a better look

Hey lads, mine is doing the same thing...

How did u go STRButts?? Did you sort it out in the end..

I think mine started happening after a day out in the mud....
Flipping annoying!!

Cheers
Paul

I changed my standard str clutch last year it done about 140,000km. It was totally worn out could hardly pull the car so i could drive it to the mechanics, but in saying that i absolutely flogged the living sh*t out of that clutch, if it wasn't 4wding it would have been from a lot of heavy trailer towing and working in the city doesnt help with stop start traffic.
When the car was on the hoist and gearbox out my mechanic noticed a thin bit of metal which is fork shape, that metal sits inside the big fork and what it does is the little metal fork holds down a ball bearing which i think helped the big fork rotate inward or outward, anyway my point is that little metal fork was non existant in my case and the big fork was just swinging forward and back when the clutch was depressed cos it had no little ball bearing in place as a pivot point for the big fork.
I know got a custom made excedy clutch fitted in and BOY what a difference, the amount of grab now is unbelievable, if you have to change a clutch and do a lot of towing or 4wding fit a custom made clutch, mine isnt just the heavy duty excedy type, it was custom made and i had to wait a bit to get it made.

Mine too does the same thing, haven't got a solution yet. A bit hesitant to take it to the dealer to get the usual response 'Nah mate, never seen that before'. It is quite annoying, my clutch feels heavy and noisy, my mates of the same era is light and quiet. Would be very grateful to hear from anyone with a sollution.

Cheers for the info re exedy clutch solid!
Yer when i first got the car it wasnt doing it... now all of a sudden it is... i greesed part of it just the part that pushes in and out on the out side of the gear box, that didnt make much difference.
Im bout to pull off the rubber grommet and spray a bit of CRC in there see if that helps for the mean time. I dont really want to have to take the box out as this clutch is still grabbing sweet as! And if the box is out ill be gettin the clutch changed too.... bugger!!

I forgot to mention when the box was out my mechanic recommended i change the rear main seal, there was nothing wrong with it, but considering he could get to it while the box was out why not, you know if it does happen to start leaking while the box goes back in then you would have to pay for all that labour again taking the box out. From memory i think the rear main seal was about $180.

Just got a HD clutch done on mine... what a difference! I was bunny hopping all over town for a day or two till I got used to the amount of grab I now have. I should have got my gears done at the same time but hindsight is 20/20

Hey simon!
Yer mate... i know i shouldnt had done it... but if u take off the rectangle rubber seal, and get a torch and spray some wd40 on the bit that moves.... leave it a while... then it was sweet as!!
I think it may have just got really wet when offroad... thats all i can think of!

lmao...thought i had a unique problem:big_smile: funny stuff.. i just finished writing a post on my thread in this same forum about how i solved it...from experience wd40 and grease only shortterm fix..
cheers

Latest posts

Back