sagged suspension

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happytimes

Reaction score
Hey there,
I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on lifting a D21? I have a 86 Navara and the front suspension is sagged pretty bad and its really rough to drive both on and off road. I was just wondering what would be the best/relatively cheap way to lift it/get a bit more ground clearance and maybe a bit of a more comfy ride? Any thoughts would be appreciated
cheers!

yea I was thinking maybe replace the torsion bars as you said it most likely raise it a bit which is what I'm after.
Cheers

New torsion bars will raise it back to stock. You can wind them up further, but that can put pressure on steering and other suspension parts.

New torsion bar wound up to stock made a big difference to mine :)

Good stuff I'll have to shop around for prices and all that jazz in the future (need some money first :p) I've noticed there's some blocks welded to the axle under the leaf springs at the rear that look like they've come stock from the factory is that normal? Would it be some kind of lift or something? It looked a bit unusual to me anyway with this being my first 4x4 and I hadn't noticed them before.

Thanks for the help!

Unless you jumped it, or were extremely harsh to it, which I doubt with so few miles, that is abnormal. It is fairly common for aftermarket springs to sag, but even then not that quickly.

Not that quickly? So few miles? Both our utes are '86 models, 25 years old.

And like good Nissans, still going strong :rock:

Happytimes, my rear leaf springs have got a fair bit of sag too, almost inverted. Not sure if it's the springs or bushes though. If I lift the rear axles of the ground, the springs stay inverted, and I can pull the wheel down have the leafs stay in the same shape as I drop the axle again.

Not sure which block you're talking about though. Post a pic and I'll compare it to mine.

One more thing happytimes, my D21 was pretty rough, and even after new torsion bars and front suspension struts, was still pretty rough. Some good second hand seats made a big difference however. I've heard any D21/D22 seats will swap right over. I got some from a 92 Terrano that were in much better nick than mine.

Thanks guys,
Yeah Pinelli I think i might need some new seats aswell in the near future i imagine that would help alot with comfort. I don't have a camera at the moment so can't post any pics which is a bit annoying! But anyway the block I'm talking about is one that is in between the axle and the bottom leaf, so the leafs don't sit right on top of the axle, it's pretty much a spacer block between the axle and leaf springs. (I've never really taken a good look and any leafs before so I'm not an expert on them :p ). I think it's normal but I was just curious what it was if the d21's came lifted stock from the factory or something alone those lines.

Thanks for the help fellas!

Just try crankin the original front torsion bars. Sometimes you need to remove the end cap/adjuster (roughly in line with the B pillar under floor) and turn it a few splines (2 in my case) to get enough lift. Contact Dion on here, he has the exact specs for height adjustment.

Its free and you regain lift and travel.

Good luck

See attached. Refer Vehicle Posture section.

Attachments

• D21 ride height.pdf
    35.5 KB · Views: 160
Good stuff,
Thanks for the download Dion that's a big help, I'll have to try and give it a go when I have time (go back to uni this week). I'll try not to stuff it up when I do it, although it seems pretty simple.
Cheers and thanks!

Latest posts

Back