Storage Drawers Build Up

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

180%JOE

Reaction score
Hey all before I went on the scenic rim trip on the weekend I decided to finally begin building some drawers for the back of my nav and mounting the fridge on a slide. I did this all on the friday before the trip. I am planning on doing this build in stages to offset the cost.

So for the first step I made a false floor for the fridge slide to bolt to and somewhere to begin the drawers.

I used 9mm marine plywood and marine carpet with stainless steel bolts. I first made up a template out of cardboard and transfered this to the ply. Once cut out I test fitted it to the tub and set the position of the slide. I then pre-drilled the slide mounting holes. I then placed the roll of carpet over the wood and cut to a rough size. Next I brushed contact adhesive to both surfaces and left it to dry a little before sticking the carpet down. I folded the edges around and cut to fit. I added more adhesive to the edges and glued them down as well. I weighted the edges down so they dried and didn't pull up.

Once dry, I bolted the slide in position and placed it back in the tub, this was really difficult to maneuver through my canopy and was a tight fit. then I checked the underside of the nav to see where I could drill to mount the bolts. Once mounted I fitted the fridge and strapped it down ready for the weekend.

Next in stage two I will construct a box over the fridge and measure up the drawer that will sit next to the fridge. At the same time I made the floor I also ran power through the canopy to a dual 12volt outlet mounted to the side of the tub to power everything from the dual battery.

Here are the pics:

ScenicrimFloor001.jpg

ScenicrimFloor005.jpg

ScenicrimFloor010.jpg

ScenicrimFloor007.jpg

Yeah no worries, I used 50mm M8 stainless steel bolts, nylon lock nuts and large flat washers on top of the wood and underneath the navara tub floor. I got underneath and found clear spots to drill through the tubliner and floor, the bolts are positioned at the four corners of the false floor and one in the middle for more support as the fridge slide pulled the middle of the floor up when full extended with the fridge on. Ill get some more pics tomorrow of the mounts.

Looks bloody nice, i like how clean it is. it's exactly what i was going to do around October last year, but Bunnings didn't have any sheets of ply or MDF that would cover the tub floor. What size sheet did you use and where did you get it from?

What a simply fantastic, "simple" design. I'm sitting here for the last few months racking my brains thinking the best way to start off with a floor/drawers etc and you've done it. Top effort:cheers!:

Thanks guys, the sheet I used was from bunnings it was 9mm Marine Ply around 2400x1200 $60. I measured the tub before I went and got the guys there to cut it for free around the 1400 mark or so. It fits the width nicely but its about 5cm short in the rear of the tub but as its a false floor and when finished with drawers etc you won't notice the gap at all.

Ray, I just thought to start with the floor then I will build everything around that and bolt it all with brackets etc. Sort of like a module system. It will have a full length draw and room on the sides for pockets and at the back a hatch will be built in to store other things like water tank or air tank etc.

Last edited:
will;82847 but Bunnings didn't have any sheets of ply or MDF [/QUOTE said:
My 2c is to avoid MDF as it doesn't have any tensile strength/fibre in it. Note his comment about needing to bolt the sheet in the middle as it lifted when the fridge/slide was fully extended. Ply usually makes a noise as it cracks and well before it breaks. MDF gives no audible warning.

have you got an inverter?

looks very clean and simple - the way things like that should be! nice.

Actually, you could even make the draws removeable rather than a hard mount to that floor - if you ever needed to pack in something bigger. Reckon they would sit just nicely by themselves

Agree on the cons with MDF, but given I couldn't get a sheet of marine ply in that size I was willing to settle for whatever I could.

Have you seen the DIY drawers from ORS (off road systems)? They are a cheaper alternative when you are doing a custom job like this. A single draw 455w x 1280l x 280d is only $434 in galvanized steel. Thinking that's what I'll probably do & put a full size top on the draw and cut around the fridge that's mounted to the floor like yours.

Wow I looked at this post and realised that I haven't touched the drawers in over a year!

Well over the past week I have finished the basics of the drawer and fridge box as well as the in floor storage areas. Here are the pics of the build. Just need to sand and carpet to finish.

IMG_0936-1.jpg

I used aluminium channel which I screwed to the floor so that I can still remove everything easily.

IMG_0938.jpg

This will be a side pocket.

IMG_0939.jpg

skipped a little ahead and the shape of the drawer begins. Also the box is now surrounding the fridge.

IMG_0942.jpg

Drawer open fully.

IMG_0943.jpg
Another view.

IMG_0944.jpg

Handle now on drawer.

IMG_0947.jpg

Floor of draw now in and note it is lockable.

IMG_0950.jpg

almost completed.

IMG_0952.jpg
Cutout for side pocket.

IMG_0953.jpg
Floor screwed down and first pocket finished.

IMG_0954.jpg
Pocket is held in position by aluminium angle.

IMG_0955.jpg
Draw has a removable center divider and bolt to hold it open.

IMG_0956.jpg
Two rear hatches.

That is all for now. Save some money to buy carpet and glue then I will post finished pics.

I've used 12mm CD plywood, I would have liked to go all marine ply but the funds didn't allow it.

Latest posts

Back