excessive tyre wear!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nakedape

Reaction score
Hi all,

As the title suggests I have some pretty excessive tyre wear. Tyres on the rear axle, when inflated to manufacturers specs, wear through the middle, dramatically reducing life expectancy (see below). Dealers suggest running lower pressures to compensate e.g. as low as 22psi (unloaded) but I'm loading and unloading constantly & don't want to stuff about changing pressures all the time. Surely with so many of them about someone makes a tyre suitable for utes - any thoughts? Oh, and I drive on and off the bitumen in equal proportions.

Cooper ATR (50k)
Cooper ST (15k)
Yokahama (15k)

What pressures are you running?

If I was getting 15K out of any tyre no matter what i did with it I'd be pissed off.

I run my rear tyres at 36psi in the back.

Mine is mainly highway driving, I get about 70,000-80,000km's out of a set of tyres.

I cannot believe you only got 15k out of a set of tyres.

I am running mine at 36psi as per the mechanics recommendation and he thinks I should get 80k out of them. The last bloke got 40k out of the continentals but that is because he increased the pressure when he had a full load on thereby wearing the tyres out quicker.

22psi seems extremely low though.

You bet I'm pissed off :rant: I read the claims of up to 80k by some folks on here and think, how FFS? And why are mine f**king out so quickly? It doesn't make a spot of difference how religious I am with rotating tyres either!

Currently I run 36psi on the front and 32psi on the rear

Could only be wrong pressures or driving habits couldn't it? What sort of offroad driving do you do?

Sand & unsealed roads.
And my philosophy on off-road driving? Only ever do what's required to get through - no more, no less!

That's still extreme wear, I spend a lot of time on dirt or sandy roads, and blue metal tracks and I never expect less than 60K out of a set of tyres no matter what brand and most go easily more than 60K.

Has got to be pressure related then, 22 is ridiculous unless you are in soft sand. Put em at 36 and see how they go.

tyres

Ive got cooper st on my truck, i drive 70% road and 30%off road. highly recommend cooper st tyres. have you done your checks every 5k to 10k and does wheel alignment and rotation.

Ive got cooper st on my truck, i drive 70% road and 30%off road. highly recommend cooper st tyres. have you done your checks every 5k to 10k and does wheel alignment and rotation.

The only Coopers I'll spend my hard earned on is made in Adelaide and comes in bottles. The tyre company can bury their product up their...:devil:

It has alot to do with the terrain you drive as well as tyre pressures. I live in the Pilbara WA and to get 40k out of a set of tyres is doing pretty good.

100 Series Cruiser 265/70R17 Cooper STT's - constant 30k from a set (3 sets now)
GU Ute 285/75R16 Goodyear MTR's (old style) - 40k from the set
D40 Navara 285/75R16 Goodyear MTR's (new style) - looking to get 40k
GU Wagon 285/75R16 BFG AT's - 40k from the set
D40 Navara 285/75R16 Cooper ST's - 25k from the set

I can go on and on about the guys around here but we all are getting between 25k and 40k from a set of tyres. We all use our cars for different applications (though travelling over the same terrain) and are all experiencing similar wear.

Not sure what you blokes do to get 60k+ from your tyres cos Im yet to see it first hand.....

I am 32,000klms into my first set of Cooper ST's They appear only half worn if that, i am very happy with them so far.

Hi all,

As the title suggests I have some pretty excessive tyre wear. Tyres on the rear axle, when inflated to manufacturers specs, wear through the middle, dramatically reducing life expectancy (see below). Dealers suggest running lower pressures to compensate

Just a thought, what size rims and tyres are you running?

It could be the rims your running may be not quite wide enough for the tyre.

Check recomendations here: http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

I run 265/70 BFG At's on 7" wide std alloys at 32-34psi, 22psi is way to low.

Back