Knock when stopping

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navman1980

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Let me explain...I have an auto, diesel 2009 D40,11000 k's and within the last week I've noticed a knock from underneath the car when coming to a stop.

Its hard to explain, but it feels like something still has momentum just as the car comes to a complete stop. I've noticed it more when the car has to be pulled up a little quicker than normal or when stopping going down a hill.

Another issue I'm having is when driving down a hill and need to dab the brake, it will drop back a gear and hold that gear for about 100-200m before changing back up. I'm not sure if this is standard with the autos or something is wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

D

The knock is probably the load sensing valve on the rear axle.If it is, thats normal.
I don't have a auto but a guy i know that does says his auto will kick down as well.

Our Navara is a 2009 diesel auto as well, only just under 50,000km on it.

I've had the occasional sound like that when stopping, but put it down to grabby brakes - it only happens once and hasn't happened since I had my rotors and pads replaced with aftermarket rotors, Bendix 4WD pads.

You might have a loose cabin mounting bolt, or loose tub, too - be worth getting those checked. I suppose the brake rotor could have a crack in it - they've been known to do that. It could also be the load spring in the rear, might be worth having a trusted mechanic take a look.

As for the gearbox kicking down on its own - that's the programming of the vehicle at work. The car will (after a few seconds' worth of constant braking) kick the gearbox down in an attempt to assist the braking with the engine.

Latest posts

Back