higher diff ratios

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petes navstr

Reaction score
what other higher diff ratios are available for d22 rather than standard? if i wanted to regain that little bit of power i lost due to fitting 32's what ratios would i need?? power loss is stuff all but i want it back

you can

not sure what you can change to i think d22 got 4.3 in the usa got 4.6 and a few more

D21 ratios fit the D22. I've got two pairs of axles in 4.8:1 you could offer to buy from me - (H233b and R180A) and (C200 and R180A). No LSDs, but if you buy the H233b axle you can get a Patrol airlocker, cheap-as if second hand.

D21 ratios fit the D22. I've got two pairs of axles in 4.8:1 you could offer to buy from me - (H233b and R180A) and (C200 and R180A). No LSDs, but if you buy the H233b axle you can get a Patrol airlocker, cheap-as if second hand.

i dont know what any of them are to be honest, so you got the axles or the diff, is that the conversion that joshy is doing or done, if it came at the right price i most likely would but i think i want to keep it simple and changethe ratio, so whats the ratio in 02 turbo navara

To find your current ratio, check on the data plate under the bonnet, it will say CA4* where * is a 3 or a 6, if it's a 3 then you have 4.375:1 gears, if it's a 6 then it's 4.625:1. Either way the 4.8:1 gears are shorter which will allow you to run bigger tyres.

They're not related to what joshy is doing, the H233B is the same centre as in a patrol axle but it's a leaf axle, that's about the only connection.

If you're interested then they're here, do your research and get in touch if you're keen. The R180A front diff is that same as what's in the front of the D22, the rear is a bit different but can be swapped, adapted, etc. Without handing a fat wad of cash to a diff shop, a ratio swap will never be simple.

rear dif

sorry but im after info on the rear i like the 4.8 what can i use how just getting all the info that i can get im planning same more work really just picking lots of brains before i lock my self in the shed again

VG33E run 4.625 to 1.
VG30E run 4.375 to 1.
ZD30DDT run 4.375 to 1.
YD25DDTI run 4.375 and 3.9 to 1.
KA24E and KA24DE run ?
QD32 run 4.625 to 1.
TD27 and TD27T run ?

Dion fill in the gaps can you.

you dont need the whole diff assembly to change the ratio, just need a new crown wheel n pinion to suit your diffs (c200 and r180a). You could just try and get the 3rd member with the right ratio installed already and its not a hard swap.
I believe the states have a variety of high ratio gears.

Hey mate from what i gather running 4.62 gears will give you stock gear ratios on 34" tires, but running 4.8 would mean you would need approx 36"- 37" tires or at 100 km/h the engine would be revving somewhere near 3500 rpm

if i am wrong please feel free to shoot me down

i checked it said ca46, i dont want to swap everything over i just want a ratio change so its quick and simple, anyone know where i can get my hands on some?? thanks fellas

youll need 4.8's then, it will probably overrev a bit tho like mentioned. You should be able to get the 3rd member from a wreckers, or the ring and pinion from nissan or an aftermarket place in the states. Either way not a big job.

you'll need 4.8's then, it will probably over rev a bit tho like mentioned. You should be able to get the 3rd member from a wreckers, or the ring and pinion from Nissan or an aftermarket place in the states. Either way not a big job.

but i put 32's so it shouldn't over rev, on standard size tyres maybe but by me going higher ratios should bring back to normal is what i assumed, i was out about hour ago for the first time since putting the m/t atz's on having a play in this massive gully 5min from home and gee in first gear going up hill not in 4wd or anything i seen a big difference on trying to take off up the hill it felt like taking off in second and i didn't really like it had to give it the berries and make sure the revs are up

you only went 1" bigger then standard... normaly a .2 ratio increase is good for a 3" tyre size increase.
IE most guys in patrols go from 32" with 4.1s to 35's with 4.3's. so yeah it will still over rev.

if you replace the rear diff with a different ratio, am i right in assuming that you should also replace the front with the same ratio?

I am considering importing some 4.875:1 crown and pinion gears to fit both the R180A front diff and the H233B rear diff, would anybody else be interested? These diffs feature in most D22 Navara's that have a diesel engine. Those with a V6 have a different front diff, which these ratios will not fit. And I believe some Navara's may run the C200 rear diff - so you'd better check what you've got first...

This will allow my D22 Navara - which has the 4.625:1 ratios in it currently, to run 31" tyres and maintain the factory gearing - i.e.: it will correct the speedometer and have the engine revving at normal factory rpm's for a given highway speed.

Approximate cost would be about $650 - $700 for each diff set (approximate total of $1300 - 1400 for both ends)? There may additional freight costs around Australia once i receive them. But, if anyone is interested - please let me know...if there is enough interest I'll place an order in about 3 weeks time...

Cheers...

most d22s run R180a and C200.
your changing ratio's to run 31" tyres??? they came out factory with 30.5~

Here's some formula's you guys might find usefull.
They use imperial measurements, so tyres are in 'inches',
and speed is in 'mph',
'gear ratio' is diff gearing.
put in diff ratio as ie: 4.625 not 4.625:1

sorry you youngun's re the imperial but I'm of that vintage:flowers:

mph = rpm x tire diameter/gear ratio x 336

rpm = mph x gear ratio x 336/tire diameter

gear
ratio = rpm x tire diameter/mph x 336

tire
diameter = mph x gear ratio x 336/ rpm

To find the diff gears needed with your new tyres to provide the equivalent of your truck's performance with the original tyres, use this formula...

diff ratio = new tire dia/old tyre dia x original diff ratio.

:cheers!:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am considering importing some 4.875:1 crown and pinion gears to fit both the R180A front diff and the H233B rear diff, would anybody else be interested? These diffs feature in most D22 Navara's that have a diesel engine. Those with a V6 have a different front diff, which these ratios will not fit. And I believe some Navara's may run the C200 rear diff - so you'd better check what you've got first...

This will allow my D22 Navara - which has the 4.625:1 ratios in it currently, to run 31" tyres and maintain the factory gearing - i.e.: it will correct the speedometer and have the engine revving at normal factory rpm's for a given highway speed.

Approximate cost would be about $650 - $700 for each diff set (approximate total of $1300 - 1400 for both ends)? There may additional freight costs around Australia once i receive them. But, if anyone is interested - please let me know...if there is enough interest I'll place an order in about 3 weeks time...

Cheers...

mate i would like to but i cant spend anything right now i'm expecting my first little girl soon so any ideas i have are on hold till,

:
most d22s run R180a and C200.
your changing ratio's to run 31" tyres??? they came out factory with 30.5~

Joshy - you may be right - i've traded my old tyres now so I cant confirm, but i went up 2 inches in tyre size from factory - so whatever that leaves me with...

I have checked the ratio numbers using this website;

Gear Ratio Speed Calculator

and after increasing by tyre size by 2 inches, i can return my engine revs to factory points by increasing diff ratios from 4.625 to 4.875.

My Navara is a '99 model with the QD32, it has the H233B diff. I think the C200 diff was introduced in 2002.

The gearbox is the FS5R30A, with the following ratios:
1st: 3.580, 2nd: 2.077, 3rd: 1.360, 4th: 1.000 and 5th: 0.811.

The turbo diesel models from 2002 onwards (ZD30) uses the same ratios - except the fifth gear is actually 0.760 instead of 0.811.

Speedo reads 100kph at about 2450 rpm - but this is assuming my tacho is accurate. i think it might be down a couple of hundred rpm...

have a go at that website and see if your tyre size and rpm's confirm...
:cheers!:

Latest posts

Back