Tuning ZD30 - expressions of interest

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tweak'e

Staff member
Reaction score
thread on patrol4x4.com Tuning ZD30 Patrol - expressions of interest - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum

Hi

I've been working on a troublesome ZD30 Turbo Diesel 05/06 (built in Japan in 05, complianced in Australia in 06), and also happen to be good friends with the guys at chiptorque.

We're looking at developing a way to tune these engines DIRECTLY into the ECU. No 'chips', no interceptors, using 100% factory equipment with revised mapping etc.

I bought an 01 Patrol and an 04 Navara ECU for comparison and minor updates aside they are basically the same.... so they should be able to cover a good cross-section of patrols EXCEPT (for now) common rail.

Pulling the ECU apart has revealed some similarities to other ECUs they can already reprogram, so they are willing to chuck in some R&D if there's some interest... and, if you're in SE QLD they *might* (I cant speak for them) be interested in some test vehicles at a later stage.

What we hope to achieve:

* 100% boost control using the standard boost controller
* Better boost control sans EGR - although since the EGR is computer controlled we could just restrict the EGR open parameters to a VERY small operational window.
* Better fuelling across the rev/load range
* Better compensation/improvements for mods (exhaust, intake, intercooler etc) or vehicle operational conditions
* Ability to custom tune to your needs

If you're interested please let us know using the attached poll.

Please dont rush to chiptorque (yet!) as they have only done preliminary R&D for this.... I just want to get some idea of what you guys are interested in to gauge what sort of priority level they should look at.

I have wondered why someone hasn't investigated this earlier. Demand? back in the 90's when people where getting used to EFI Holden V8's and turbo Jap cars " chips" of the piggy back variety were all rage until some clever people learned how to crack in and modify Delco computers to get EFI holdens going better. so on and so forth til today.
Yet the diesel tuning scene is still talking about piggy back chips in 2009. I know it's not exactly the same but in principle I'd have thunk the hardware and software to do this has been around for yonks

Great idea Tweaks, but do ya think they can get there prices lower than current chip mods?
Had a look at their website and $1100 is the general price for most of their products, seems not matter what you what to change on ya 4by it always equates to a grand-a-pop.

STC

Sorry, maybe this should be in 'Have a Rant' section

Last edited:
Cool, good work with the link Tweak'e.

Ill check it out over there aswell.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back