Stereo for 2nd battery

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digbyj

Reaction score
Hey guys
What do you guys do for sounds when camping? I was looking at getting like a "boombox" style unit and seeing if I can wire it to my dual battery. I read this somewhere the other day and now can't find it. The one I'm lookin at takes 4 x 1.5v D cells, so 6 volts. Is there a way I can convert this simply to 12 volts?
Other option is to get a car stereo and speakers and put it in a box, but would still need to hook up aerial etc and just thought boombox might be tidied.
What do you guys do? As usual any input greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Marcus

DSE or Jaycar would sell kits that will do what you need. We made our own years ago which powered a 6 D cell portable, all you need it to do is convert the 12 to 6 rather than convert the unit to 12. Should cost less than $20 I would reckon.

Thanks Krafty, thought that would be the case, it's on my to do list before Easter as well as home made awning, 2nd battery in, headlight buzzer and work light if can find a cheap one!

Hey tommy22222222222222222-0,
I was thinkin of doing that but I'm sure someone on here said not to mess with stereo power?
Seems pretty easy to do it the other way. Hmm food for thought...

Running a second head unit from the dual battery wouldn't be an issue, but adapting an already owned portable radio to run off 12 V would be a lot cheaper and easier, for the sake of about $20 you can make a 12-9V converter with a 9v battery lead soldered to the terminals in the battery compartment of the portable and run the thing anywhere the cord reaches. Putting a new head unit in would require speakers, mounting and a new aerial if you wanted radio and would cost more than $20.

Also if your wanting signal deep in the bush a car radio often wont cut it where as even a $60 DSE special will give you extremely good reception in the bush from it's own aerial.

we have one the bosch job site radios that can play ipods etc , there is socket for another speaker if we want but is plenty loud enough, have 3 battery for it and can play for couple days.

You could always let the missus sing for you, give her a book and she can read to you like it's the news. That would be free, although the operation to have your ears removed may not be cheap and then you'd have nowhere to hang your sunglasses.

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/ipod...er-ik150-am-fm-iphone-ipod-alarm-clock/526172

I remembered this thread from a little while back and thought I might add my 2 cents worth, see the link above to jb hifi. I recently purchased one of these and am very happy with it, it's only fairly small but it packs a punch. The beauty about this is that it requires a 12 volt DC input to run so it's ideal to have sitting in the tub of my Nav while camping and powered from my 2nd battery also in the tub. The other selling point for me is that it has am/fm radio also.
So no more running the stereo in the cab with the doors open running the main battery flat.
Check it out...

I made a box with car stereo and 6x9's and built in aerial just a box out of mdf its great it cranks and runs off the battery in my camper, HOWEVER tradies job site radios Makita have one now runs on 18v battery of ya can plug it in to lighter plug. half the size and just as good.

Latest posts

Back