EGR and butterfly mods for 2.5

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dieseldave

Reaction score
I see a lot of talk about EGR and butterfly mods for the 3ltr motors but what about the 2.5 it looks like a good idea but does it work for the smaller motor as well .I hope it does.:big_smile:

Apparently it may come down to whether we have a variable vane turbo or a normal one, not sure if anyone has confirmed it yet.

going by pics someone posted of the 2WD 2008 D22 its a standard turbo. can't tell in the pics if it has a butterfly in the intake or not. the old 2.5 didn't so i'm guessing that it won't have it either.

in petrol engines yes egr can be good. as they mentioned it lowers throttling losses which increase fuel eficency. however diesels don't have throttle butterflys so that doesn't apply.
with diesels EGR simply means some loss in power. your reducing burning temps, fuel is not fully burnt so you lose out in economy and performance. then there is the nasty side effects of clogging manifolds and tempermental control systems. a big cause of cracked heads is often egr valve sticking open.

egr works ok on new motorrs but put on 100,000kms or more and its a different ball game.

simply fit a plate on the exhaust side of the EGR cooler (which runs across the front of the motor).
one problem can be the ECU can big up that there is no EGR flow and pop up an error code. some testing is required. you may have put a hole in the plate and let some EGR through.

take note of fuel consumption. some of the later variable turbo motors for some unknown reason have a drop in economy after blocking EGR. a case of test and find out.

Back