Gaz 85's Zook

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaz 85

Reaction score
Hello all,
Due to some interest I have finally got around to starting a new build thread for one of my Suzuki sierra’s.
It’s a brief overview and I will add a little more to it when I get some more time.

You are looking at a what started life as a 1984 Suzuki Sierra Utility Well Side soft top.

Brief Summary of some of the Modifications.

Engine: Replace of engine with a four cylinder SR20 twin turbo engine and replacement from manual gear box to automatic transmission.

Suspension: The rear suspension is commonly known as ¾ semi elliptic drop out suspension , which in turn is the fitment of a half leaf spring to the underside of the chassis to allow the diff to flex downward to an equivalent of double the standard flex from the rear leafs.
To control rear axle rotation under torque and suspension travel , a centrally mounted forward facing control arm was fitted.
This triangular arm was mounted to the upper and lower face of the differential housing.
Front suspension consist of running the rear sized leaf springs up front which means that I had to do a chassis extension of an additional 400mm in length.
Shock Mounts were fabricated to suit Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks. Leaf springs where OME Suzuki rear springs all round.

Brakes: To stop the thing, a front and rear disc brake conversion was done.

Diffs: If some of you don’t know Suzuki Sierra’s were made in a narrow track and wide track models. Meaning the earlier models had narrow diffs and the later models had wider diffs 200mm wider. Fabricated and fitted the wide track diffs to suit the narrow track body and then added the disc brake conversion to the front and the rear.

Power steering: A Toyota Cressida power steering box was fitted in conjunction with Suzuki Vitara steering rods.

Fuel Tank: A long range fuel tank that was suited to a Suzuki Vitara was mounted in the ute space to prevent it from damage as it was venerable under the tub.

Body Lift: A body lift consisted of 50mm high spacers machined from 45mm diameter aluminium bar.

Ute conversion: A fibreglass roof section was fitted to the exsiting structure designed to support the original soft top. There was 200mm cut of the back of the tub and re grafted back on to allow it to look standard and to allow a better departure angle.

Drive Shaft: These had to be fabricated to allow the full flex of the diff and not destroy uni joints.
To archive this there was two tail shafts for the rear, and there was a half way baring to reduce the strain on the uni’s when it was fully flexed.

That’s about the main of it for know, and ill add additional information later on eg, exhaust, custom rear bar and bull bar, twin transfer cases, snorkel ect, ect.
Stay tuned.

Adding the photos know.

More photos to come.

Attachments

• P1010778.jpg
    P1010778.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 122
Looks good mate.

My mates is the same colour.

His front diff has cromolly axle's and a air locker and heaps of other things like transfer gears etc.

Hey guys its a LWB, it just looks shorter because i have cut some of the tub off and the turfed the soft top and added a fibreglass lid and rear Fire Wall.
Trying to upload more photo's, just serching through the old computer to find them.
Stay tuned.

Latest posts

Back