96 navara gearbox issues

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96navara

Reaction score
I have a 96 navara 4x4 dualcab with a blown gearbox. The car was origionally a 2.7l diesel but the motor was replaced with a 98 model qd32 and fitted with a dts aftermarket turbo, this was done before i bought it. I have found a reciept for the gearbox being reconditioned 10,000km before i bought it and i only got another 10,000km then had to get it rebuilt myself. after this i got a further 50,000km and it has blown again. I am wondering if this would be caused by the motor being mismatched to the gearbox. also if a box matching my motor will fit in my car. any help would be grately appreciated thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

While I'm no expert about that particular model, it does sound like it's had an awful lot of extra horsepower bolted on to the old box which would have been designed for a significantly tamer engine. 500cc of extra capacity and an aftermarket turbo is certainly going to raise the number of ponies involved.

I'd suggest a box designed for the 3.2 would be more appropriate. I don't know if it will fit, but then anything can be engineered if you work hard enough at it.

The question then becomes "how much money can you throw at it and still see value". I'd balk at tossing $10,000 at the thing to have the gearbox mounts shifted and a Hollinger box dropped in although if you wanted a '96 Navara that ate everything else on the road, that might be something worth investigating!

more info

The gearbox is FS5W71C, origional motor TD27, Bellhousing TD71C #1,
New Motor QD32055698, AXEL CA48.
Is this setup compatible or has something been missmatched because the gearbox has died twice in the last 65,000km

The QD32 usually runs the same gearbox as the ZD30's and YD25 etc.

Wait till Dion gets on here as he has done the swap.

I know the motor just not if the TD27 box will bolt up to the QD32.

The TD27 box is already bolted onto the Qd32 using the bellhousing TD71C but it keeps blowing the gearbox 1st time 20,000km after rebuild and second time 50,000km after the rebuild. I now dont want to rebuild the gearbox again so i am wondering if there is a stronger gearbox that will work with my setup without 2 many mods.

Well that's amazing because the TD27 and QD32 have a different flange pattern so there must be some way to make them play together.

The gearbox you have, the FS5W71C is made for about 3kw and it shits itself even with that much power.

The QD32T will be making a LOT LOT LOT more than the TD27. There is no way there should be a FS5W71C in that car and I'm not surprised at all that it's been rebuilt multiple times. You need a FS5R30A, fitted to the D22 Navara diesel models. Don't even think about rebuilding the old box.

Check wreckers, ebay, etc.

how do you tell the difference between a fs5r30a and a fs5w71c box? is the any numbers to id them besides the one on the compliance plate?

Not that I'm aware of, I'm sure there's casting marks but I can't see them on my box because my car is in the way.

I wouldn't go buying a box based on casting numbers anyway as the bellhousing pattern for a ZD30 is different as well and you might end up with one of them as the gearbox itself is the same. You just want the gearbox and transfer to suit a QD32.

As for being able to tell the difference physically: size. The FS5R30A is larger. Nowhere near the size of a FS5R50A/B, though.

This is the only image I have of a 30A. Note the single piece box; there is no separate bellhousing:

BuildLog017%20006%20Gearbox.jpg

Latest posts

Back