D21 Z20 possible engine conversion

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

utekid2

Reaction score
hey guys
i have a navara 1992 pickup tray top d21 with a Z20 motor and 5 speed box all orignal, i was thinking about a turbo on old motor or just rebuld it to keep all orignial or even a posible engine conversion to V6 with with a turbo at later date. as im not rich im not after a race car just a noticable difference in power and beta take off, i dont know how to approch this project as i have no experince with nissans anyone with a comment on this can you please just have ya say no wrong or rite suggestions thanks
[email protected]
thanks billy

Take all this with a grain of salt as this is just what I've learnt inadvertently whilst researching data for my own diesel D21.

The Z24 bolts onto a FS5W71C trans, not sure about the Z20 but I'd say there'd be no change in the block, check your transmission code on the data plate under the bonnet for confirmation. The FS5W71C is Nissan's jack of all trades so you might find that the bellhousing and engine of a VL commodore with an RB30 will just about bolt right onto your existing transmission as Holden bought that engine and transmission from Nissan.

That'll be easier and cheaper than turboing your Z20 and will give you better parts availability. You will find turboing the RB30 much easier.

The caveat is: ANY engine swap to a different type of motor no matter what is going to be a massive pain in your backside. Any savings you make will be more than countered by the time you spend on it, no matter how much you are worth per hour. Buy a Falcodore ute. If you're in it for the journey, then go for it and make sure you keep a build log on the site.

thanks PRO NAV
so your saying that if i have a FS5W71C trans i maybe able to bolt a VL commy motor in without modifing anythink? as i have little to none machancial knowlage what do you mean RB30 VL motor?

Yep VL motor, Id get one out of a R31 Skyline though. Less likely to have had the arse flogged off it compared to a fully sick VL.

GQ's ran the RB30S aswell, carby version of the RB30E.

Dave.

I agree with ProNav about buying a Folcodore ute.

An engine conversion is not something you do with little to no mech ability.

I put an FJ20 turbo into a Datsun when I was a young tacker. What a PITA job. Wouldn't do it again.

thanks PRO NAV
so your saying that if i have a FS5W71C trans i maybe able to bolt a VL commy motor in without modifing anythink? as i have little to none machancial knowlage what do you mean RB30 VL motor?

I wouldn't say "without modifying anything". No matter what, you're going to have headaches galore with the engine mounts, fitting the radiator in, the wiring harness, everything is going to be hard. Having said that, obviously you want to try and minimise the number of things that need to be modified extensively and that's where the RB30 comes in. The RB30 is a Nissan motor (Google it) that is fitted to the VL series Holden Commodore (these are easily identified as the ones making PSSSHHT noises going sideways around roundabouts with sick subwoofahs), making parts availability better. Where you source it from is up to you, as Dave said there are a few different sources. It already mates to the transmission you probably have, but there will still be things you'll have to massage in. The input shaft may be the wrong length, for instance. Or have the wrong number of splines.

Do you have access to a machine shop? This will make your life about 1,000,000 times easier. I don't want to say don't do the swap, because the end result would be a Navara that would regularly completely liquify tyres and that would be awesome, but as the concensus here suggests, it's going to be a Really Hard Job.

Don't want to burst your bubble, but while an RB30 will bolt on to your tranny, it won't fit into your engine bay, it is too long. A VG30 (V6) will fit in, but won't bolt on to the tranny.

I've just gone through the process of replacing a dead Z24 with a KA24e, and while it is still a bit pokey, the KA is a much better engine than the Z, more fuel efficient and more powerful. It'll whip the Z20 for sure. The KA can also be turboed, but that's not something I'm going to do.

The KA swap is about as easy a swap as you will do (but this doesn't mean it will be easy, just easier than others). Won't give you the power of a V6 or the RB, but if you're just trying to keep an old ute going, it's a good option. No engineering required either, I believe, and less insurance hassles (as long as you don't turbo it!).

You'll need to fiddle around with the fuel a bit, there's a bit of wiring, but make sure you get an engine with the loom and ecu, and it's a lot easier. You can use your existing alternator, a/c and starter motor as well (but not power steering pump)

Do the VG30, you'll need to change the tranny as well, and change engine mounts. Do the RB30, you'll need modify the engine mounts, move the radiator forward blah blah blah, as well as all the stuff you would have to do for the KA such as wiring, fuel etc.

As a first timer, it prob took me about four weeks of evening and weekend work (between kids soccer games, evening work meetings, selling the house etc), plus time waiting for parts to be delivered from wreckers etc. Make sure you don't need the ute for a while.

See the debate, and the results of my swap over here: Navara transfer cases and gearboxes - Australian 4WD Action Online Forums - the 4WD, 4x4 and offroad truck community. Get the latest tips, news, reviews, images and video clips.

I do agree, though, that a Navvy with an RB30 would be cool. Never heard of it being done, though.

The KA swap is about as easy a swap as you will do (but this doesn't mean it will be easy, just easier than others). Won't give you the power of a V6 or the RB, but if you're just trying to keep an old ute going, it's a good option. No engineering required either, I believe, and less insurance hassles (as long as you don't turbo it!).

You'll need to fiddle around with the fuel a bit, there's a bit of wiring, but make sure you get an engine with the loom and ecu, and it's a lot easier. You can use your existing alternator, a/c and starter motor as well (but not power steering pump)

Do the VG30, you'll need to change the tranny as well, and change engine mounts. Do the RB30, you'll need modify the engine mounts, move the radiator forward blah blah blah, as well as all the stuff you would have to do for the KA such as wiring, fuel etc.

I know a guy who's done the swap to VG30 without a loom and he said never again. And he's a sparky. VG30s are a bit hard to come by in good nick.

Great tips from Pinelli, I thought the RB30 might be troublesome as he suggests but if you're truly intent on a 6 cyl...

I have seen a D22 2WD with a RB25DET under the bonnet. Pulled off a nice burnout to.

I reakon if a RB25 fits a RB30 will.

Dave.

I have seen a D22 2WD with a RB25DET under the bonnet. Pulled off a nice burnout to.
Nice! I wonder if the D22 has a bigger engine bay?

Probably more achievable in a 2WD, as there
s no transfer case or front diff/driveshaft to worry about. In that case, you probably could move the tranny back and make it fit.

I reakon if a RB25 fits a RB30 will.

Dave.

Yep, should do. As far as I know, all the RB blocks and heads are fairly interchangeable, so will all be the same height and length.

Probably more achievable in a 2WD, as there
s no transfer case or front diff/driveshaft to worry about. In that case, you probably could move the tranny back and make it fit.

There's not a lot of space between my 4cyl diesel's block and the firewall, but that's mostly irrelevant. I'd say the OP has a 2WD. Still, shortening driveshafts is an involved job.

thanks heaps guys great ideas that should keep me busy researching for a bit
thanks keep em coming

billy

Back