Helps Metalworks d22 work horse

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After deciding to up grade my 400 000km rodeo(could here the piston slap over exhaust) a d22 navara seemed to tick all the boxes and wasn't as expensive as a hilux.
I purchased a 2002 210 000km tray top (good for work as it sees a ton of steel often)

After driving it for a while i started to feel like it should go al little better than it did and decided a few power up grades were a must.

Not sure what nissan was thinking building the zd30 d22 without an intercooler, so i sourced a water to air cooler. pump and heat exchanger kit and adapted it to the navara. i had to relocate the fuel filter to drivers side to fit cooler. While i was at it i removed the front cover of turbo machined it out to suit a 3" aluminium pipe and made 3" induction pipe to suit - note the pod filter is temporary until i get a free moment at work to retrofit air box and possible a 3" s/s snorkel.
I was told that the zd30 pumps out around half a litre of oil between services to so i mad up an aluminium oil/air separator tank also.

I also made a full 3" exhaust from cat back ( new dump pipe is to be made when i get the time also) putting a large free flowing muffler as i didn't want it to be drowny. The exhaust not is whisper quiet, but the induction noise through pod filter is terribly loud.

After reading this forum i completed the egr valve modification also, when i fitted the blanking plate i must of upset the gasket in exhaust gas track because it blew it out 2 days later. I fixed this by removing pipe the runs behind motor cutting it and welding it closed.

The last upgrade has been the fitment of Rapid diesel module. I had some surging problems when module was fitted, turned out to be the connection of wire to pump wire was not good. The kit supplies you with a snap on piggy back connection, it is shit! solder all the connections is the only way.

I had the navara dynoed as in standard form from when i bought it, 75rwkw, it pulls alot better now, feul consumption is about 10% better and it revs alot quicker, makes power to the redline, take off from a the lights is 10x better. I tow alot of cars on car trailers and this is where it really makes the most of the modifications.
I plan on getting it run on dyno again and having a play with the settings of Rapid module after i get the turbo dump pipe mad and fitted.

The only other changes i have made has been to replace the pathetic nissan shocks, and a new set of front brake rotors and pads

Next set of mods (after dump) pipe is to get it ready for a trip to Darwin with the wife and kids

Attachments

• IMG_0827.JPG
    IMG_0827.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 24,275
  • IMG_0829.JPG
    IMG_0829.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0830.JPG
    IMG_0830.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0831.JPG
    IMG_0831.JPG