Great Central Road

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stxowner

Reaction score
Anyone travelled the central road lately? I am planning on going this way in July on our trip from Perth to Melbourne to show the family a bit of the inland. Take the bitumen up to Laverton then the Great Central Road through to Uluru then back on the bitumen. Coming home will be via the Nullabor. Any info on condition, points of interest, stayover spots, tips etc greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Phill

hey mate,
a mate and i are headed up that way around the same time of year, once i've got my itinerary properly sorted out, i'll let you know, might be good to catch up with some other nav owners along the way.

No Probs, Joshman. Let me know when you have your plans. I have to be in Melbourne by the 24 July so looking at leaving Perth around the 10th and taking our time.
Cheers

Didn't do the Great Central, but we did visit Uluru and surrounds this Christmas. Here's some recommendations:

* Uluru entry is like $25 a head and gives you a 3-day pass. Use it.
- day 1, evening: do sunset @ Uluru
- day 2, morning: do sunrise @ Uluru
- day 2, day: walk around Uluru (3-4 hrs, need 3-4litres of water per person)
- day 2, evening: do sunset at Kata Tjuta (Olgas)
- day 3, morning: do sunrise at Kata Tjuta then immediately:
- day 3, morning: Valley Of The Winds walk @ Kata Tjuta
- day 3, day: cultural centre

Then get souvenirs at the resort etc etc.

Head on out to Kings Canyon and check it out. The upper walk starts with a bloody nightmare climb, the valley walk is beautiful and not strenuous at all. On the way back out, do Kathleen Springs as well. If you're adventurous, stop at Kings Creek Station for camel rides or an $80-odd helicopter flight over the canyon.

As you return towards the Lasseter Highway you'll come across Ernest Giles Road and may be tempted to do it. It's quite rough in places and we struck some really soft sand, I recommend 4WD (4H) mode for this road and have PLENTY of fuel on board. 99km of corrugations and snake-infested countryside. Enjoy.

The rest is sealed roads. Mt Ebenezer Station has a gallery where you can buy genuine artworks from local aborigines. We have a piece by one of the local artists - Barbara (we know her full name, but won't put it on the 'net) - it's bloody lovely and is now framed and hanging from our wall. Oh, don't forget to stop and gawk at Mt Conner.

Only places worth seeing are Giles weather station and Lasseter's cave, carry lot's of spares and as much fuel as possible and don't stop. LOL.

No need for a Uluru Pass as your coming from the other way. Corrugations where horrible from NT border to the Olgas.

Goodluck and Godspeed as its the most boring piece of road in Australia.

Are you towing ? Its a great trip if the roads have been graded there is a camp ground before docker river It was signed Giles has a camp ground and showers about $6.00 a night for two you can buy desiel :cheers!::cheers!:

No idea about the central road but I'll almost be following you home along the Nullarbor, not sure when we are leaving yet but it will be around that time.

Latest posts

Back